15th Anniversary T-Shirt Competition

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

15th Anniversary T-Shirt Competition

Post by big_smile »

Sonic Team are to celebrate Sonic’s 15 Anniversary with the release of a… limited edition t-shirt. Given how heavily Sega has milked the franchise over the last few years, news of such a low key celebration is slightly surprising.

Only 10 t-Shirts have been produced and they form the prize for the 15th Anniversary competition that is being held on Sonic Channel. As with most Sonic events, the competition appears to be only available to Japanese residents.

The item has been named the E3 T-shirt to tie it in with the forthcoming release of next-gen Sonic the Hedgehog, even though the game wont actually be released until later on in the year.

More information can be found at Sonic Channel.

masked_ferret

Post by masked_ferret »

And with such quality printing, too. Who would I be to say no?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

That faded out print-look for printed shirts seems "in" in the world of cheap casual wear. They espcially use it on older characters and other pop-culture items to really tie in the nostalgia factor.

The other day at Wal-Mart, I came across a nice Yoshi shirt which had a faded and broken print. At first, I thought "why are they selling these old shirts?", but then I look at various other shirts and they were the same way. Looking back, I should have gotten that shirt because it really did look cute and it was only eight dollars.

For this particular shirt though, I think it would have been better if they used the pre-SA design of Sonic and a much smaller version of that logo.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Such merchandise is available at Hot Topic, if you feel like lowering yourself to that level.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

The decayed look is quiet ironic...

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I kind of like that broken crackly print look, it looks neat. The only video game related shirts I have are a Zelda shirt I got for preordering Four Swords at GameStop, even though I didn't preorder Four Swords at GameStop, and this Sonic shirt I got for christmas back in like '96 or something. It doesn't fit me anymore and I have no idea where my mom found it, but it was pre-Hot Topic days back then.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Light Speed wrote:I kind of like that broken crackly print look, it looks neat.
Yeah, only problem's that it gets bigger and bigger and bigger... until you have no Sonic on it anymore! :shock:

The last holidays (or the previous ones, I don't remember) my brother found a little place where they had a Sonic cap. It had the original Japanese design of Sonic 1 with the right colors, the shitty point's that it was made for a 6yo head. And it also had such a color pattern that (combined with the proper t-shirt) will make anyone look like the ultimate Sonic geek ever.

I didn't have the balls to go and buy it. It was the same when I found a SatAM VHS in a supermarket not that long ago. I still appreciate myself... and I'm still a coward dog.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

The thing about pre-fading is that it's supposed to go hand-in-hand with retro sensibilities, so in this case, it would have only been appropriate for the shirt to feature Ohshima Sonic.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Such merchandise is available at Hot Topic, if you feel like lowering yourself to that level.
What difference does it make from buying the same T-Shirt at Target, Wal-mart, or any department store and Hot Topic?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Oh, you know, Hot Topic, that's where all of <i>those</i> people shop. You know, <i>them</i>.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Hot Topic took a lot of cool things that were usually only popular among a small group of people and plastered it on all sorts of pieces of clothing. Typically you could only get that kind of stuff on the internet from small sites and wearing them was almost like a weird geek status symbol. Now anyone can get a sweatband with the Mario mushroom on it. They basically made all of those things mainstream. Not just video games either, they have Office Space shirts and shit like that too.

I'm surprised you found a Yoshi shirt at a department store though, and now thinking about your question I didn't really answer it at all. I just kind of said something that I bet all of you already know. However, I've come to far to not post now!

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Here's a story. I was in the mall because the EBGames is there. Some goth ass with a giant pink mohawk, chains, piercings, and typical goth black clothing walked past me. I watched him, and he went into Hot Topic, joining his fellow totally rebellious and different from everybody clanmembers. Which was, of course, no surprise at all.

That's the difference.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, as if being goth wasn't lame enough. Now there are poser goths that go to Hot Topic.

OSM

Post by OSM »

Wow the printing looks like a half assed job. Not sure if it's just for effect, it looks ugly as sin anyway.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Personally I think the whole purposely faded shirt fad is stupid, but by producing one that says "2006" on it I think Sega have missed the whole point.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I already have a faded Sonic shirt, I think. It has an old school Sonic on the front and something to do with a delivery service.
I only got it because I was looking for a shirt with the old Sonic on.

The faded thing has gone on for a while too, and too long at that.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

When I was in fourth grade, my favorite shirt was a faded Pikachu t-shirt.

I still have it, although it was recently converted into a TOTALLY AWESOME bandana.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

A Pikachu bandana?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

The smile irks me, but everything else about that shirt is badass. I don't mind the "cracked" look, and i'd love to have that. Rats. It is still a little dissapointing that all we get this time is a t-shirt...I figured they'd put out a CD or something.

I've found game shirts at Wal-Mart before. I got this Pac-man shirt that also has the cracked look; it has a drawing of one of his sprites from the first game and the word "ORIGINAL" in big letters. It seemed a little geeky, but it was that or a Mario shirt with freaking hideous interpretations of existing art.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Personally I think the whole purposely faded shirt fad is stupid, but by producing one that says "2006" on it I think Sega have missed the whole point.
They took on the "be a walking Sonic ad" point. That is, if the geeky Sonic t-shirt buyer actually walks or something, if not the product's point is pretty flawed.

How's it a "Pikachu bandana"? It has it running or some other horizontally-oriented pose? If not, then I suposse it's cropped... which is also great.

... fuck, that reminded me; does anyone know where to find this Toshihiro Ono manga, "Dengeki! Pikachuu"? It looks kind of cool, but I don't want the fucking censored Viz version.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

... fuck, that reminded me; does anyone know where to find this Toshihiro Ono manga, "Dengeki Pikachuu"? It looks cool, but I don't want the fucking censored Viz version.
The breasts are so large in the original version, they take up 60% of each female character.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

That's ABSURD!

And yes, a Pikachu bandana. I didn't alter the original image, so when it's folded up, the eyes still poke out. It confuses predators, you see.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Zeta wrote:
... fuck, that reminded me; does anyone know where to find this Toshihiro Ono manga, "Dengeki Pikachuu"? It looks cool, but I don't want the fucking censored Viz version.
The breasts are so large in the original version, they take up 60% of each female character.
Heh, that's why I want it...

GRRRREAT! (0)(0)
Baba O'Reily wrote:And yes, a Pikachu bandana. I didn't alter the original image, so when it's folded up, the eyes still poke out. It confuses predators, you see.
Clever. I would buy one so I can scare the mad dogs of my block.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

How the hell this image wasn't posted with the other ones in that other thread?
And the closest I have to videogame clothing was a Groudon t-shirt that came with Pokemon Ruby. It's not really embarrassing (kinda cool, actually), but I don't dare to come out of home with it.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Well, since people are sharing their videogame clothing, I have a Shadow the Hedgehog long sleeved shirt that I got as a promotion for Sonic Adventure 2. I also have a Rockman 2 shirt of the the NES-graphic images of the Rockman 2 robot masters. It also had a phrase relating to the image content of the shirt, but I forgot what it said. My best guess is I think it said "I beat them all!" It was given to me by an acquaintance/friend whom I regularly borrow videogames from.