Sonic Channel Updates

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Well I was actually talking character and plot wise.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

. . . is this right? According to Chaos's profile, he's a mutated Chao?!
This translation of the Japanese stragegy guide calls Chaos the spirit of water.

RONESU, a poster on the Sonic Channel blog noted how the new character profile contradicts previous information. A Sonic Channel staff member (who presumably works for Sonic Team) replied, stating that the new character profiles do not replace the old stories, but allow them to be better understood (I think – his comments don’t translate clearly).

So it seems Chaos is both 'the spirit of the water' and a mutated Chao.

On the subject of character profiles, Sega have released a web page for the virtual console version of Sonic the Hedgehog. It contains profiles on Sonic and Eggman, which incorporates details from the newer games (e.g. Eggman Land) and clarifies aspects of their characters (such as stating that Eggman is not really evil and prefers functionality over beauty).

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

what? hes not evil? I dont know...either that or hes nuts.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Chaos isn't evil.
His actions react from the actions of others.
When Tikal was talking to him before he was sealed in the Master Emerald, he was quite friendly, When the Echidna tribe stormed the Master Emerald shrine, he got angry and destroyed them all because they wanted the Chaos Emeralds.

Fast Forward to after Super Sonic beats Perfect Chaos, and after that battle, Chaos's anger is pacified by the positive energy of Super Sonic and Chaos is neutral again.

Well, that how I think it goes.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

I believe Eggman is the one claimed to be not evil, not Chaos. Although apparently multiple genocide is forgivable if you've got a victim card.

In the event that Eggman actually succeeded in conquering the world, I don't think he'd be that bad a ruler. His granddaddy showed well enough that doing beneficial science will just get you framed, captured, disillusioned and executed all in one go - so Eggman's got a good thing going by being his own boss. Though he's a wee bit too eager to blow up countries, kill opponents, nuke cities, and generally cause random people to do - for a good guy. Maybe he's not evil, but he sure does do an awful lot of evil stuff. Is that the same thing? I think it is.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

You'll note that he's never followed through on any of his theats, though. The only time he's ever killed anyone was when he blew up Prison Island, and Sonic X goes out of its way to say there were magically no casualties. He tried to blow himself up with Station Square, but he was either temporarily insane or his final mech was supposed to be in there. He set fire to Angel Island, but nobody lived there. If it came down to it, I don't think he'd be able to go through with it, as at the end of Sonic X season 1 when he finally get the chance to kill Sonic but doesn't.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

What about SA2? He detonated a capsule that—up until the moment of the explosion—held Sonic, who he trapped inside the capsule and launched with the sole purpose of ending him. In fact, Eggman was all kinds of badass in SA2, before he joined the good guys at the end, said some corny shit in the coda and just became a form of comic relief and not much else. Talk about jumping the shark.

I think that's the best part about Eggman's appearance. They could make him look goofy and then pull off evil without much transitional material. (Scratch the SA1 cutscenes. The toothy mouth bobbing above and below his neckline was kind of difficult not to laugh at.) Which makes me wonder, how was he in S360?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Which makes me wonder, how was he in S360?
Well, let me think. He was serious and not goofy, but not threatening either.

* He blows up some buildings
* Kidnaps a princess because he thinks she has some way to travel through time, although he's not sure how. He later has a time machine anyway, making his motivation really weird.
* He tricks Sonic into being sent to the future, pulling an Aku
* It's revealed Eggman would've accidentally killed both himself and Elise if not for Sonic
* Threatens to blow up the city
* Expositioned the nature of Solaris at the end and helped the good guys locate the Chaos Emeralds.

So basically, the same as he has been, but without the goofiness. He wasn't threatening, he wasn't funny. Just generic mad scientist, really.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Not to mention he lost his red nose.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

What the fuck does that have to do with him being evil?

Oh wait, forgot who I'm talking to.

*hits the ignore button*

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

You are way too serious, loosen up.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I'm getting the feeling that SegaSonic is really a joke character.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

You may be right. Can a mentally healthy person go this long without at any point realising that the general public doesn't share his view? If it's a joke, then it's a pretty cruel one.

Far as I can remember, Eggman has only one goofball moment in the entirety of the next-gen game, namely when he shakes his fists and stomps the floor in anger during the cutscene before his last boss fight. Personally, I'm fond of Eggman's new attitude. I particularly liked the scene when Shadow burst in through the ceiling and Eggman responds with "Wouldn't the door have been easier?" I love that bit.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The new 360 Eggman's personality really reminds me of Doctor Octopus from the Spiderman movies. Kind of insane, full of himself, but not really bad.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Forza Johnman wrote:Chaos isn't evil.
His actions react from the actions of others.
When Tikal was talking to him before he was sealed in the Master Emerald, he was quite friendly, When the Echidna tribe stormed the Master Emerald shrine, he got angry and destroyed them all because they wanted the Chaos Emeralds.

Fast Forward to after Super Sonic beats Perfect Chaos, and after that battle, Chaos's anger is pacified by the positive energy of Super Sonic and Chaos is neutral again.

Well, that how I think it goes.
So, he is like da Hulk without the Bruce Banner side...

Like, if Hulk was Hulk all the time...like in the "saga" that ended with you how who dead...

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

* It's revealed Eggman would've accidentally killed both himself and Elise if not for Sonic
I don't know about that. Though, really, when talking about time travel, shit like this becomes difficult to really rationalize. But generally:

- The logs in the future said Eggman's ship exploded
- Sonic thought Eggman's ship exploded by itself
- Sonic thinks the Princess and Eggman die in the explosion
- But in reality, Sonic was the one who caused the explosion, and he saved the Princess from the explosion.
- This is because Sonic traveled back in time to board Eggman's ship before it launched.

But this doesn't explain why, 200+ years in the future the records would say that.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I assumed that Eggman finally got Elise to cry, thus creating the explosion and releasing Iblis.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

And yet ANOTHER rehash of preexisting artwork. Funny that the E-Series robots get shafted like that...

WW

Post by WW »

Take it from me, the E series is a pain in the ass to draw. I'd have done the same thing. XD

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I miss those days, Sonic Adventure 1... Hmm wonder who will be next.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

This is a month overdue, but I'm pretty sure that the bit about Chaos being a mutated Chao comes straight from the Japanese strategy guide.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How do you go from being a little ball of whatever to being a water god?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Blame the Chaos Emeralds.

Or convoluted plot-points, whichever fits.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Owen Axel wrote:In the event that Eggman actually succeeded in conquering the world, I don't think he'd be that bad a ruler.
The bad futures from Sonic CD say otherwise.