Sonic the Hedgehog: New Interview

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kishi

Post by Kishi »

The utility of a single unifying mascot sort of disintegrates once a company goes strictly software.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I sort of hate Sega Bastard, but only in the way that you can hate someone without ever having met them before.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Same thing.
I suposse one has his/ her own [radically different] preferences on gaming.

Post by Guest »

Zarathustra wrote:... Baba, let me remind you I'm argentine, I simply CAN'T be a nigga (it's not technically possible to be one... and no, I'm not racist, it's only that it's that way down here), but yes, it's still creepy. I promise I won't do that shit again.
Arcade wrote:The girl in the Sonic OVas was a catgirl (girl with cat ears and sometimes a cat tail, see "Digicharat" for example).
I'm gettin' tired of the Sonic OVA comparison. After all, it was a really fine non-canonical anime, but this Square Enix-styled brand new Sonic has not a fuck to do with that (infact, it's pretty the opposite).
I never said it was like the Girl in the Sonic OVas, that girl is more like a Final Fantasy reject.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

so who's sega's mascot now? Ai ai from monkey ball?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Sonic is still the mascot, as far as I know. I would like to think so, anyway.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

New games are the mascot, thats the way Japan thinks.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

SegaSonic, for God's freakin' sake, please read the previous posts.
On a side note, Japanese people most probably see Klonoa as Namco's official mascot rather than Sonic as SEGA's nowadays.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Well, you're one to chide him, aren't you? Also, why are you still here? You've been lynched, that avatar is a permanent scar upon your decrepit testicles. Besides, his post sounds completely plausible to me. I recall something similar being said in the interview, so next time you decide to take a jab at someone, at least mention why you're bitching.

Not that I'm siding with SegaSonic or anything.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

SegaSonic's reply is directly from an interview with one of the Sonic staff that was posted recently here. That statement means jack shit shit to me, though, hence why I didn't mention it. That's like saying Nintendogs is the mascot for Nintendo since they sold more than the recent Mario games.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What does that even mean anyway? New games are the mascot? So like every new game that comes out is a mascot, or every new character is a mascot?

Post by Guest »

Maybe it's just the protagonist of the last game to cause a sensation. Wouldn't that be the guy from Ryu Ga Gotoku? That sounds good to me.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Ritz wrote:Well, you're one to chide him, aren't you? Also, why are you still here? You've been lynched, that avatar is a permanent scar upon your decrepit testicles.
Oh, not you again. Not that I'll run crying like a girl because some fag changed my avatar, moron; I'm a man with enough brain into his head that can get over that stupid shitty forum rules.
And at least my ballz work better than yours, furry -_-
Ritz wrote:Besides, his post sounds completely plausible to me. I recall something similar being said in the interview, so next time you decide to take a jab at someone, at least mention why you're bitching.
Unlike you, I didn't want to insult SegaSonic in any way, bitch. I simply though that what he said wasn't really the case EVEN for Japanese people, at least the hardcore gamers, the casual ones just like a game and not a mascot (unless their games appeal to most people, which's not Sonic's case but IS Klonoa's).
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:That statement means jack shit to me, though, hence why I didn't mention it. That's like saying Nintendogs is the mascot for Nintendo since they sold more than the recent Mario games.
That's it. That's my friggin' point.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Zarathustra wrote:Unlike you, I didn't want to insult SegaSonic in any way, bitch.
Well, "God's freakin' sake" sounds pretty condescending to me, and you're certainly in no position to talk down to anyone.
Zarathustra wrote:
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:That statement means jack shit to me, though, hence why I didn't mention it. That's like saying Nintendogs is the mascot for Nintendo since they sold more than the recent Mario games.
That's it. That's my friggin' point.
If it was, you sure did a poor job making it clear. All you did was tell him to "read the previous posts". Why? What did he miss? I can't tell. I'm not saying that I agree with Sega's statement, but I at least understood what it meant, which is probably more than what you can attest to, because your post made absolutely no sense.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Hootz, I forgot to explain myself over my SegaSonic reply. In my limited english, what I did understand out of this:
big_smile wrote:
Is Sonic still an appropriate mascot for Sega in 2006?
Sonic Team: In Japan we don't feel like Sonic is the mascot for Sega all the time. In Japan people tend to feel that the latest product represents the company, the latest trend. So if Sega came up with a dog character, people in Japan will think the dog represents Sega. But when I meet people from abroad, they still think Sonic is the mascot. But Sega is about more than one game.
was that the ST rep doesn't really refer to the western concept of "mascot", but to the commercial name of the company. It's like if you think about SEGA as Chromehounds developer instead of Sonic's creators. The latest games (supposedly) leads Japanese people's idea of the company; that doesn't have anything to do with the mascot concept at all.

But well, after all it's the rep's fault and not SegaSonic's by citing his/ her words. So I admit my fault at it; SS, please ignore my non-violent reply to your post.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Zarathustra wrote:
Ritz wrote:Well, you're one to chide him, aren't you? Also, why are you still here? You've been lynched, that avatar is a permanent scar upon your decrepit testicles.
Oh, not you again. Not that I'll run crying like a girl because some fag changed my avatar, moron; I'm a man with enough brain into his head that can get over that stupid shitty forum rules.
And at least my ballz work better than yours, furry -_-
Hey, kidz! Uzing the letter 'z' inztead of 's' makez your wordz RADICAL.
Zarathustra wrote:
Ritz wrote:Besides, his post sounds completely plausible to me. I recall something similar being said in the interview, so next time you decide to take a jab at someone, at least mention why you're bitching.
Unlike you, I didn't want to insult SegaSonic in any way, bitch. I simply though that what he said wasn't really the case EVEN for Japanese people, at least the hardcore gamers, the casual ones just like a game and not a mascot (unless their games appeal to most people, which's not Sonic's case but IS Klonoa's).
If only we all had the same class that you do.

Anyways, I believe that if we focus on the U.S. market, Sonic seems to have more mainstream appeal than Klonoa. I suppose it's sort of subjective, but that's what Sonic's sales compared to Klonoa's leads me to.

Sonic sells games, and Sega is instantly assosiated with that character, so whether or not it's 'official', it does serve as a mascot.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Am I the only platform fan on this forum who has zero interest in the Klonoa franchise? I played the very first game on PlayStation about five years back, and I got bored in 5 minutes. I never bothered with the GBA games or the rare PS2 sequel, or the recent PSP game.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

There was a Klonoa PSP game?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Nope! Which goes to show: you should know what you're talking about before you talk about it! I know another GBA Klonoa game was released last year, but that's it as far as recent releases go.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Hey, kidz! Uzing the letter 'z' inztead of 's' makez your wordz RADICAL.
MY BALLZ ARE DA RADIKAL, FELLA!!!
Baba O'Reily wrote:If only we all had the same class that you do.

Anyways, I believe that if we focus on the U.S. market, Sonic seems to have more mainstream appeal than Klonoa.
Baba O'Reily wrote:I suppose it's sort of subjective, but that's what Sonic's sales compared to Klonoa's leads me to.

Sonic sells games, and Sega is instantly assosiated with that character, so whether or not it's 'official', it does serve as a mascot.
I was talking about the Japanese market.
And think about it: Klonoa's slow-paced, has simple jumps, goes left and right and attacks most enemies the same way. Put like this, it seems very obvious that it's more "maistream-focused" than Sonic.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I don't think this pic makes a good combination with the message. After all, there has to be an owl in "Owl really?"

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

My good Zara, you have a wit of cheverel.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Brazillian Cara wrote:I don't think this pic makes a good combination with the message. After all, there has to be an owl in "Owl really?"
From what I recall the "O rly?" shit was around long before the owl. It's all fucking gay as hell though.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Locit wrote:Nope! Which goes to show: you should know what you're talking about before you talk about it! I know another GBA Klonoa game was released last year, but that's it as far as recent releases go.
I thought the screenshots on page 1 of that Klonoa game were from PSP, because they were ugly. It makes more sense when I found out they were for PlayStation 2.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Zarathustra wrote:And think about it: Klonoa's slow-paced, has simple jumps, goes left and right and attacks most enemies the same way. Put like this, it seems very obvious that it's more "maistream-focused" than Sonic.
Sonic came first and has more name recognition. My 3 year old cousin could identify him in a line-up. That's what I was referring to, as opposed to the gameplay.

And just because a game is less complex does not mean it has more mainstream appeal. (Shadow of the Colossus vs. Grand Theft Auto, anyone?)
Ritz wrote:My good Zara, you have a wit of cheverel.
Did you mean cheveril? If so, that's very clever use of sarcasm.