Sonic Wild Fire: Sonic in a Solo Adventure! (Wiiii!)

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Sonic Wild Fire: Sonic in a Solo Adventure! (Wiiii!)

Post by Rlan »

SEGA ANNOUNCES SONIC'S CHARGE ONTO THE Wii CONSOLE

Sonic The Hedgehog Rewrites the Arabian Nights in a Completely New Adventure Exclusive to the Wii Console

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (May 9, 2006)
- SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced Sonic Wild Fire (working title) exclusively for the Wii™. Developed by SEGA Studios, Sonic Wild Fire stars the Blue dude with the 'tude on his first solo adventure since the original Sonic The Hedgehog™ in 1991. This intense and exciting action game takes advantage of the innovative Wii™ controller as Sonic combines his trademark high-speed action with easy to play controls to offer a brand new experience!

Sonic's new adventure unfolds from a storybook of the classic tale, Arabian Nights, the last several pages from the book have gone missing, and it's up to Sonic to re-create the story. The vibrant environments provide for a refreshingly new look to the franchise filled with brightly colored mosaic tiles, glistening oases, swaying palm trees, and crumbling stone columns. Sonic activates specific areas in the prismatic environment to pull off new tricks and stunts, in addition to interacting head-on with various obstacles by jumping, dodging, and dashing.

"Sonic Wild Fire and the innovative Wii controller changes the way gamers play interactive entertainment," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of SEGA of America, Inc. "SEGA is excited to lead the gameplay revolution through its support of Wii with a Sonic release built exclusively for this new system."

Gamers will use the Wii controller to steer Sonic and experience an untapped freedom in gameplay and control. Hold the controller horizontally with two hands and tilt left and right to steer Sonic on different paths and maneuver deftly from obstacles and enemies. Continue to tilt and fling forward to dash-attack ground and air enemies and to break down barriers. In addition to the main game is an array of unique controller-focused mini-games which make Sonic Wild Fire fun to play alone or as a multiplayer game with friends. Get ready for a refreshing adventure that puts you on the forefront of gaming!

Sonic Wild Fire will be dashing to Wii's everywhere in 2007. For more information on SEGA's Road to E3 2006, please visit the official E3 page at http://www.sega.com/e3. For screenshots and artwork, please visit the SEGA FTP site at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.

SEGA's E3 booth will be located in the South Hall, #946, at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
Storyline sounds pretty odd.. better than gun toting in a Jeep while dodging missles with Whitey. Though it sounds like Sonic's always running.. We'll have to wait for Nintendo's Conference later today.
Last edited by Rlan on Tue May 09, 2006 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

*furiously refreshes page at 8am* :cool:

Ya this sounds cool too bad the screen shots don't appear to be anywhere. The name itself sucks and the story seems rather odd too but the idea of a solo adventure is just too good to be true at this point in Sonic's history, and long overdue. So fingers crossed.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

There's pretty much a blackout on all Wii images at the moment. Wait for the Nintendo Conference, or just beforehand. Only images that have 'leaked' were for the Tony Hawk Downhill Jam game I think.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

About fucking time is all I can say. The game sounds a bit odd but I'm just glad we're finally getting a Sonic only game again. That's all I've really wanted since the original Sonic Adventure.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Predictably, it sounds like they're shooting for a younger crowed with the Wii outing.

Of course, wouldn't this be the same younger crowd the prefers Shadow?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Storyline? SERIOUSLY weird. Even weirder than the game with Whitey in it. Arabian Nights? That's not out of left field, that's out of the entire ballpark!
Gamers will use the Wii controller to steer Sonic and experience an untapped freedom in gameplay and control. Hold the controller horizontally with two hands and tilt left and right to steer Sonic on different paths and maneuver deftly from obstacles and enemies. Continue to tilt and fling forward to dash-attack ground and air enemies and to break down barriers.
I wonder how exactly this works? Do you think he just moves forwards automatically, like a rail shooter? Or do you think you can control when he stops and starts? Becuase I'm not sure how that would work if you're steering him left and right with the tilt sensor. Maybe it controls like a racer, with an acceleration button? Either way it sounds kinda hokey.

2007, though. Interesting that it won't be ready to launch with the other Sonic game. I hope that's a sign they aren't just cranking this one out.

Still... Arabian Nights? Head scratcher city!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Adopting the ‘keep it simple’ ideology of Nintendo DS worked brilliant for Sonic Rush, creating one of the best Sonic games since the Mega Drive era. Unfortunately, Rush also clinged to the problems of the 3D games, quashing any chance it had of being a true to successor to the legacy of the Mega Drive games.

I hope Sega will put Sonic on full detox this time - clearing out those ideas that don’t work and allowing the good elements to truly shine.

Even though the game is just going to focus on Sonic, the story should at least make a reference (even if it is just through dialogue) to some of the core characters (such as Tails, Knuckles, Eggman and Amy). These characters are integral part of the story universe, so it would be a shame to completely forget about them.

Naka recently said in an interview that he would love to have the opportunity make a game that just focuses on Sonic. I wonder if this is connected to his new studio. It wouldn't fit in with its remit of creating new IP, but it does claim to offer a new(-ish) game experience.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Big Smile raises some solid points. But of course what we really want to know is... are there going to be genies and shit? Will Sonic wear a turban?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Arabian Nights? What the hell? That is seriously even weirder than that Ibliss Trigger stuff.

Those controls sound gay, at least in theory. I don't know how much better they'd work in practice.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The story sounds a bit Muppet Babies, but this is still rather interesting. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Developed by SEGA Studios, Sonic Wild Fire stars the Blue dude with the 'tude on his first solo adventure since Sonic CDâ„¢ in 1993.
Fixed.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The game was just shown during the Nintendo conference, it actually looks pretty damn good from the short clip, but it wasn't much.

Professor Machenstein

Are you at E3 right now or is there a clip online?

James McGeachie

Watching the live feed on Gamespot!

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

You can see the footage of Sonic Wild Fire from the pre-E3 conference here in the part 2 video. Looks like Sonic meets Prince of Persia.

Edit: Gamespot have the footage on it's own nowrather than in the Wii game montage.
Last edited by Gaz on Tue May 09, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

The story is the kind of stupid that can only be thought up by Disney and Square-Enix working together.

That being said, I'm super excited.

Professor Machenstein

I love this. Showing Mario Galaxy alongside Sonic Wild Fire, and both looking promising, really makes me love life. I am still looking forward to SONIC the Hedgehog despite its recent showings, but Sonic Wild Fire is higher on my anticipation list now. Not that I can determine much from its ten second showing, but I love the idea of a Sonic solo game, let alone looking as colorful as Sonic games should look.

Yami

Post by Yami »

'Bout time they announced the Sonic Wii game, IMO.

But for SEGA's sake, it had better be JUST AS DAMN GOOD (if not better) than SONIC 2006.

James McGeachie

I have a feeling that "Sonic Wild Fire" abbreviating to "Sonic Wi-fi" is definitely not coincidence. Looks like this'll have online features too.

Yami

Post by Yami »

I certainly hope so.

Online races, anyone?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The looks are very attractive..I want to see more of this game.

Post by Guest »

Professor Machenstein wrote:
Developed by SEGA Studios, Sonic Wild Fire stars the Blue dude with the 'tude on his first solo adventure since Sonic CDâ„¢ in 1993.
Fixed.
Developed by SEGA Studios, Sonic Wild Fire stars the Blue dude with the 'tude on his first solo adventure since Sonic Pocket Adventure in 1999.

Fixed. Again.

James McGeachie

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/action/sonic ... media.html here's quick access to the video for anyone who's trying to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind it's been posted, I'm blind! I'll turn this into a post about the footage instead I guess!

Visually I think it looks pretty decent. It seems a definite step above Heroes and Shadow level although obviously not close to Sonic the Hedgehog. That being said though, I prefer the colour scheme in use in this game as it's a lot more bright and colourful, not angsty dark shit that I'm sick fed up of.
Last edited by James McGeachie on Tue May 09, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Is that Jasons voice I hear? -_-

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

As always, I wonder how does one feel after playing a Wii game (or doing absolutely ANYTHING in the Wii) for more than 10 minutes...

That reminds me, I still don't know the full details about the console's controller and how it's supposed not to cause any type of pain for needing so much body movement while playing in the long term, except for the Virtual Console thing obviously.

... He he, I just had some pervert though about this being something like Sonic's Schoolhouse before seeing the clip; after all, it starred "Sonic alone" °_°

Please God, have mercy for Sonic!... or, most importantly, for Sonic fans!