Sonic Wild Fire: Sonic in a Solo Adventure! (Wiiii!)

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Interesting, Look at Sonic's design..quite the oposite from what we are seeing on the PS3/360 game.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

James McGeachie wrote:
Arcade wrote:So far it looks like a remake of that Arcade Sonic game everryone wants to play "Segasonic the hederhog", that was hard as hell, even for a Arcade game.
Yeah it looks like that if you've been blind since birth. I seriously doubt the experience of tilting the controller feels even remotely similar to running through horribly designed isometric levels.
I said it was a remake, I didn’t say it was a good remake. Remakes tend to suck like that new Pink Panther movie^_-

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

New shit.

http://sonic.sega.jp/wildfire/

Why oh why are they using 4KIDS Jason's voice on a Japanese site!? :mad:
Last edited by SegaSonic on Wed May 10, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I watched the footage. That looks terrible.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Double-S- wrote:I watched the footage. That looks terrible.
Oh, did you see it? Lucky bastard. I went ahead and blinked and missed the meat of the reel.

Upon rewatching it, it appears those trails of dots can be followed by just holding down something, but they're not entirely the game. Interesting. As in warrenting interest. I shall lend an eye and an ear to this game as well, as it comes along. Environment isn't looking quite as unique as the 360/PS3 title, but still. Intrigued, I am.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Haha, I just watched IGN's off screen gameplay footage from the show floor found here and the game looks fucking broken just now. The camera constantly jumps like crazy whenever they hit an obstacle and the game just looks fundamentally flawed at the moment. Visually it's actually better than I thought from the first footage, with some pretty nice water effects, but that's not going to mean a thing if it plays like it looks here.

In a way it actually reminds me a bit of the Sonic DS tech demo, which I hope IS a sign that this is nothing more than just experimentation at the moment.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Art style-wise I prefer this look compared to Sonic 2K6 and it does look great while in motion, however I am concerned as to how this game plays. I mean I was expection a bit more branching paths instead of a straight on-rails experience.

The game supposed to come out in sometime in 2007, so hopefully the game will be tweaked some more since this is the Sonic solo game I originally expected from Sonic 2K6. *desperate hope*

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

New gameplay movie...interesting, but Sonic moving all the time is crazy. reminds me of the eyetoy.

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/8 ... ids_1.html

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I dunno. I could see how this could be fun in a Sonic-Adventure-2-Speed-Stages kind of way. After all, the goal in those stages was always inevitably to do just what you do here... never stop running, and react to the obstacles reflexively at the right moment. At least, if you wanted to get an A ranking.

But that said, it's not really what I was ever looking for a Sonic game. And the camera is seriously, seriously spazzy, especially for an on rails game. I know it's apparently quite early in development, but at this stage it doesn't look like it's going to amount to anything that is enjoyable for more than a couple of hours.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Still, it looks like the kind of game you play just for kicks..so Im interested on it abit.

I still dont know why they had the 4KIDS sonic voicing Sonic in the japanese site.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Maybe because it was cheaper?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Perhaps...

I also heard Sonic's Japanese VA was on vacation.

James McGeachie

I think it's more to do with the fact that the English version of Sonic games is the "priority" version so to speak now, like with how the lip synching in Heroes was done for the English language with the Japanese being dubbed over. I figure with the Wild Fire site they recorded the English version of the clip first and it's all they currently have.

Dash

Post by Dash »

More gameplay. The camera doesn't spaz out quite as much and the player doesn't totally suck.

I think they have something solid here if they give it some more tweaking. I'm liking the art style and having NO BOTTOMLESS PITS is appealing. I'm not sure if the "running all the time" thing will work extremely well, but the video makes it look pretty fun. Also, Sonic running fast with a trail of flames following him is just undenibly cool.

EXTREEEEEEMMMEE!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Well, this is a bit of a dilemma. For the first time, they've done everything right except for the gameplay. Not to say that the gameplay was always perfect, but it's generally solid, and functions as you expect a Sonic game would.

Don't get me wrong; after having seen a full video, I can at least say that it looks reasonably fun, but the concept seems so shallow, like one of those DVD games that are really just pre-recorded cutscenes that require your imput at certain intervals. The art direction is just about the best I've seen in a 3D Sonic game thus far, but it seems like a waste of effort when dealing with such an experimental concept.

Then again, I suppose the extra graphical flare is necessary to help counterbalance the quaint gameplay, but I really wish they'd channel all of this pent-up creativity into the 360/PS3 title where it's needed most. That game is already graphically impressive, but it'd certainly benefit from an imaginative overhaul like this.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I actually think this looks much weirder than even the dazzlingly weird PS3/360 Sonic. It looks really awkward to me, and I really think that Sonic looks better in 3D when he's tall and anorexic. I disagree with the sentiment that it has the best art direction of any 3D Sonic game... I think it lacks a certain something.

The whole thing has a strange air of Sega Saturn to it, but I have no idea why. I think it might be be the semi-resemblance to Bug!, and also to that weird 3D short in Sonic Jam.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

You said it, it resembles Classic Sonic...my friend, you are suffering from LackofclassicSoniatis.

just look at the ending sequence of that video with the road with palms and stuff, it looked beautiful and not to mention the rest of the gameplay sequences.

So like Ritz said, it feels like a wasted effort..but at the same time, its something different and I know now that it is better they keep it that way. Remember that part of the old Sonic games were gimmicks (experiments), even Sonic&Knuckles was a big gimmick and lets not forget SEGASONIC the hedgehog which resembles the gameplay of Wild Fire..So what I say is, BRING ON THE FIRE BABY!!

James McGeachie

Dash wrote:More gameplay. The camera doesn't spaz out quite as much and the player doesn't totally suck.
Hah, I love how that ends in pretty much exactly the same way the Sonic DS demo did, minus the "congratulation".

At this point I seriously don't think this is anything more than a fancy glorified tech demo because as crazy as Sega currently is, I really don't see them putting out a game where you're constantly left running into walls. I think they'll keep going with the concept, but it'll evolve a LOT before this game gets to the shelves. Even without playing the demo it's easy to say right now that if the final game shipped playing like that all the way through it'd be an utter disaster, even more of one than Riders and Shadow could ever hope to be, so it really cant happen.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So they decided to make the Chaos Emeralds special stages into a full game? Not the best idea.

Also, an entire game about Sonic in the Arabian Knights? WTF. While the idea of Sonic in a storybook world is cool, isn't Arabian Knights a little too specific and limiting? Desert. Desert. Guess what? Another desert level.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Watching that long video, I think it looks kind of fun. If they get this right, it could be fantastic.... sort of like a ground-bound Nights, viewed from behind instead of from the side.

But obviously, it would need a LOT of tweaking to get to that level. The jumping system looks really broken, and surprisingly limited style-wise, considering the way the series has been moving towards stunts and tricks. And I think it's a bad idea to give the player no control over Sonic's speed. It would be cool if you could lean forward or backward to push ahead or pull back. I think you'd need these things to be able to pull off a really finessed, perfect "run" through a level, which of course is the entire point of any on rails game.

I guess I'm just saying that there may be potential in this idea, even though I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to pull it off.

But hey, at least it's pretty. Include me in the camp that prefers this art direction over that of the PS3/360 game. (Except maybe the part in the water tube... that is EVERYTHING I want in a Sonic level's art style!) I never liked the lanky version of Sonic... he looks great in artwork, but in motion he always looks spazzy and wrong to me.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I’m slightly disappointed with the art direction. A quirky storyline should be communicated with an equally quirky visual style. This looks like a generic colourful Sonic game – there isn’t anything particularly unusual or inventive to make the visuals stand out.

The simplistic nature of the gameplay is worrying, but the counter-intuitive jump system and fire device seems to be a sign that they have something deeper planned.

I think they could easily add more depth to this by adding an abundance of hidden routes and S3&K bonus stages that can only be accessed by performing certain tricks near particular parts of the scenery. This would recreate the balance between exploration and speed that made the original Mega Drive games so appealing.

^_^

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

To be honest, I think this game is looking extremely positive even at such an early stage. The game looks good, it appears from certain screenshots that there are multiple paths, the camera isn't perfect but also isn't anywhere near as bad as it has been, left/right control will be more fluent than ever before and according to IGN, the player will have "full control over movement and speed", meaning that Sonic's pace also seems to be player-controlled.

The only thing I'm actually concerned with at the moment is the needlessly quirky story.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Most of the gameplay impressions I've read have been pretty positive but this game just sounds so shallow. It looks like it could be fun if it's done right but I can't see it having much longevity. I definitely prefer the overall look and style of this to the other game though.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

I was getting ready to post "Wow nice video I can finally see how pretty this game is looking", then I saw the the very Sonic DS Demo 2004 end as James Mcgeachie pointed out and it kind of ruined it :cool:

The water was really nicely done though, I loved the colours, and you can finally see how well rounded the sonic model looks, and its not looking miles apart from the STH model at this sort of range either which is good.

Aside from the pretty visuals though, this game is quite clearly in the very early stages of production as you've all said, and hopefully it will get its act together and not join the ranks of other recent sonic failures, because right now the controls are looking even worse than Shadow and as bad as Sonic R, and that would be a disaster

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Esrever wrote:And I think it's a bad idea to give the player no control over Sonic's speed. It would be cool if you could lean forward or backward to push ahead or pull back. I think you'd need these things to be able to pull off a really finessed, perfect "run" through a level, which of course is the entire point of any on rails game.
Actually, it's just been confirmed that the controller already works that way.