Sonic Wild Fire: Sonic in a Solo Adventure! (Wiiii!)

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Maybe the Fire Sonic gets in this game has to do something with this game's story.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

The story still sounds a little dubious but I'm willing to let that slide because the gameplay is looking quite good. Despite the fact I've never used a Wii controler before I still found myself annoyed to watch people play the game badly.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

More impressions, this time from 1up.com. Once again they're pretty positive, they describe the game as feeling like "the best parts of Sonic Adventure" which I suppose is promising sounding. I really don't get why there's been good impressions though, it doesn't look enjoyable in the least to me.

I guess perhaps this must be a game that Nintendo's new slogan, "playing = believing" really has meaning with.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Another video of Sonic Wild Fire from GameCube Cafe.

It's not that different to the other videos except you can hear the music a little clearer in this one. I'm really not liking it. They seem to have gone for a bland rock-music type feel like SA2. Wouldn't it have made more sense to feature music that goes well with the Arabian Nights setting?

Stardust Speedman

Post by Stardust Speedman »

I didn't like the music either. However, I really liked the music for Sonic Rush and since the lead designer for Sonic Wild Fire is apparently the same of Sonic Rush, Yojiro Ogawa, I think he will make sure that the music of this game goes in the direction of Sonic Rush too. I can highly imagine that the music in this Demo will change for the final version. If everithing goes right, this kind of music would be much better for happy Sonic games like Wild Fire than hard rock music.

Generally, I'm very exited about this game, even more than about Sonic The Hedgehog, mostly because, as far as I got it, Yojiro Ogawa is leading this game and since Sonic Rush he has become my favorite game designer of all time, because Sonic Rush is the best game of all time, at least until now! I can only hope that Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Wild Fire will be even better!

James McGeachie

You know I really don't think that Yojiro Ogawa guy had as much influence on Rush as you seem to think he did, after all it was mainly handled by Dimps and was directed by Akinori Nishiyama, the same guy who was behind all 3 Advance games. Apparently it was actually Naka who was behind Naganuma doing the Rush score anyway, as he heard a sample of his music and thought it'd be perfect for the direction they were going with.

Anyway, the music in the Wild Fire demo reminds me a bit of the tripe from Sonic Riders which isn't surprising since they share the same focus on speed with little control. At this point I imagine that music was created specifically for demo purposes and wont be in the game, or at least I'd like to think so because I'm hoping for some Arabian style music to compliment the setting, not horrible generic trash.

Stardust Speedman

Post by Stardust Speedman »

Really?! I thought Yojiro Ogawa had the main influence! And Akinori Nishiyama has no role in Sinic Wild Fire?
The Advance games where OK, but not that spectacular and count to the relatively worse Sonic games. Sonic Rush however, was VERY spectacular! If Sonic Rush is Nishiyama's creation, that shows that he has improved his designing skills alot! If he ever designs a new Sonic game again, then I can only hope his Sonic-Rush-phase was not an exeption-phase! You know what I mean.

EDIT:
James McGeachie wrote:Anyway, the music in the Wild Fire demo reminds me a bit of the tripe from Sonic Riders which isn't surprising since they share the same focus on speed with little control. At this point I imagine that music was created specifically for demo purposes and wont be in the game, or at least I'd like to think so because I'm hoping for some Arabian style music to compliment the setting, not horrible generic trash.
Agree!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I did some digging in the museum pages, and only found two credits to Ogawa's name: "Character Game Designer" for SA1 alongside Iizuka and Takao Miyoshi, and one of the many designers for Chu Chu Rocket. I haven't checked any of the newer games' credits.

It seems like he hasn't been that high on the totem pole at Sonic Team until recently. What did they do after Naka left, draw straws?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

What? did Naka left? how? when? why?

James McGeachie

SegaSonic wrote:What? did Naka left? how? when? why?
viewtopic.php?t=1642

Did you read the first post of that topic, or even the title, before you posted in it?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Yes, but I thought he was only opening another studio so I didnt read with detail I guess.

FIXED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of0ARdEB ... ed%20sonic

Dr Kintobor

Post by Dr Kintobor »

This game looks excellent. I really hope it will be a launch game for the Wii.
I wonder how different the 360 and PS3 versions will be.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I'm not sure if it's going to be ported. The game seems to be made with the Wii controller in mind, so they would have to fix around the controls quite a bit to get it to work on the X-BOX 360 and PS3.

Dr Kintobor

Post by Dr Kintobor »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:I'm not sure if it's going to be ported. The game seems to be made with the Wii controller in mind, so they would have to fix around the controls quite a bit to get it to work on the X-BOX 360 and PS3.
Aha.
I read somewhere that there would be different versions for Wii, and then 360 and PS3.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Also, it doesn't look like it will be a launch game. It is supposed to come out in 2007 which is fine by me. God knows Sega needs more time to produce a good Sonic game.

James McGeachie

Dr Kintobor wrote:
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:I'm not sure if it's going to be ported. The game seems to be made with the Wii controller in mind, so they would have to fix around the controls quite a bit to get it to work on the X-BOX 360 and PS3.
Aha.
I read somewhere that there would be different versions for Wii, and then 360 and PS3.
Uh yeah, Wii has Sonic Wild Fire, 360 and PS3 have "Sonic the Hedgehog", a completely different game. That's all that's happening, StH wont be on Wii because it cant be and Wild Fire wont be ported.

Espio

Post by Espio »

James McGeachie wrote:
Dr Kintobor wrote:
Aha.
Uh yeah, Wii has Sonic Wild Fire, 360 and PS3 have "Sonic the Hedgehog", a completely different game. That's all that's happening, StH wont be on Wii because it cant be and Wild Fire wont be ported.
Now that PS3 got the new 'wii-copy' controller, it may happen. Sega think business, not loyalty...

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The PS3 controller supposedly acts more like Kirby's Tilt and Tumble than the Wii remote.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Come to think of it, it just might work. Think about it, Wild Fire's use of the Wiimote isn't all that complex; all you do is tilt it left and right to make Sonic move in those respective directions, which is pretty much all the PS3 controller can do, anyway.

I really do hope it gets ported to the PS3, though. Wild Fire is the only reason I'd really consider buying a Wii at the moment, and that alone wouldn't justify the purchase of a console. I'm a bit more partial to the PS3 right now, as it already kills several of my birds with one stone, so a port is just about the only shot I have at playing it.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I thought you move the controller left and right, not tilt it.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Or you know, a friend with a Wii and a blockbuster card.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Double-S- wrote:I thought you move the controller left and right, not tilt it.
I'm pretty sure you tilt it. I'll have to check the PS3 conference video again later.

Also, I know for a fact that no one in this neighborhood is going to purchase A Wii. See, these are the kind of kids that play nothing but GTA and EA-brand games. The name, remote and overal integrity of the system is more than enough to turn them off.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I meant for Wild Fire. The PS3 controller is a tilt-a-whirl, which is why I don't see how Wild Fire would work on it. Also, Wild Fire looks terrible in general.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

I can see it working, tilt left and right to move in those directions, up and down to speed up/slow down. And if the PS3 controller supports motion detection, jumping shouldn't be a problem.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Oh sure, technically you could do it, but that doesn't seem very precise. At all.