E3 Sonic Next-Gen trailer on XBOX Live Marketplace

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I don't like Blaze. I don't loathe her either, but she was sealed off in another universe with a permanent MO for residing there. Did the barrier break again? I really just can't get behind a premise where an alternate dimension is like your gosh-damn backyard.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Erm, the entire game appears to take place in Blaze's home dimension, thus explaining her prescence.

And I think Blaze is what the series needed in a girl: a female version of Sonic with heroic qualities. Instead of the insanely bitchy/slutty/cutesy quartet made up by Amy, Rouge, and Cream.

I hope she can actually shoot fireballs in this game.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Right, Blaze is the best Female character, She has power plus she doesnt have a stupid personality.

Anon

Post by Anon »

I'm glad that I haven't heard the vocal version of the theme yet, because the instrumental one is straight kicking my ass. I seriously hope that's gonna be the version that's playing in the final boss fight (because you know there's gonna be one). The cover of "Sweet Sweet Dreams" sounds pretty nice too.

So, it seems as if regular enemies have HP again. Discuss.

...damn, Sonic does look like a muppet now. I dunno exactly what the vibe is, but it's definitely not his size, that's for sure. Size is fine... doesn't seem too far off from his size in the Adventure games.

Silver doesn't bother me anymore, but his design is still ridiculous.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Zeta wrote:Erm, the entire game appears to take place in Blaze's home dimension, thus explaining her prescence.
Hmm...I thought the game took place in Sonic's world but Silver and Blaze are actually from the future.
Anon wrote:So, it seems as if regular enemies have HP again. Discuss.
It sucks.
...damn, Sonic does look like a muppet now. I dunno exactly what the vibe is, but it's definitely not his size, that's for sure. Size is fine... doesn't seem too far off from his size in the Adventure games.
It has to do with the cartoon-like Sonic clashing with the realistic, FF-reject that is Elise.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Anon wrote:So, it seems as if regular enemies have HP again. Discuss.
I saw a brief flash of an HP bar at one point in that video, but I haven't seen any others before or after. Confirmation, OCB?
Esrever wrote:Sonic isn't human sized, but he's still way too big. It's just creepy looking... like a man in a Sonic suit. Whenever I see a shot of him next to a human I can't help but think "Disneyland".
Once again, Sonic's oversized head seeks to defy the law of gravity and provide us with some visually bothering (yet perfectly hilarious) imagery.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I contrasted Sonic's size with his current size and he looks similar!

Does anyone have a pic of Sonic next to a person in SA:DX?

Sonic looks the same 'Adventure' size to me! take a good look.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

He's way bigger. It's more obvious in the shot where he is carrying Elsie in his arms. He does seem less gigantic in that shot above, though. Hmm!

Neo

Post by Neo »

I just noticed, upon a second view of the video, that the HP bar enemy loses half his health per hit. This is not necessarily bad, as it is not the first time before Sonic Heroes that an enemy needed two hits in order to die. The snowmen enemies in Sonic Adventure's Ice Cap come to mind.

Jack Bz

Post by Jack Bz »

There are also those big robots in Kingdom Valley which take 3 hits to kill.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

Silver looks fake.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That Silver picture doesn't look like Uekawa's work. More like that fan artist, Koji.

The Mephilies picture also looks suspiciously Sonic Adventure 2 Battle-ish.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

That Silver drawing is DEFINITELY Koji's. Certain parts of her artwork -- usually the hands and the feet and the comparatively restrained perspective forshortening -- always give her stuff away.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ya, that Silver looks bogus...but i wonder about Mephiles.

Sazpaimon

Post by Sazpaimon »

Yes I'm sure someone working on this game would give me Koji's art :rolleyes:

Also note the fact that I havent even spoken to Koji in months now.

And I'm not 100% positive it's Uekawa's work, but he was the only real 2D Sonic artist that does SA shading to my knowlege, so I thre his name out therem but I DO garuntee that this is official concept art.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sure he does SA-styled shading... for finished promotional artwork. Not character concept drawings. A character concept drawing would never be drawn in that kind of pose, either. Do you even know what character concept artwork is, or what it is supposed to be used for?

This is not concept art. It isn't even fake concept art. It's fake promotional artwork that utilizes an imperfect recreation of an art direction style that isn't even being used for this game. There is no reason for a piece of official artwork like this to exist, and if it did exist it wouldn't look like fanart. Look at that freaking hand! The middle finger is shorter than the others!

So please, go back to trolling other Sonic message boards to see if anyone is falling for your prank. Don't bother wasting your time here.

Sazpaimon

Post by Sazpaimon »

Esrever wrote:Sure he does SA-styled shading... for finished promotional artwork. Not character concept drawings. A character concept drawing would never be drawn in that kind of pose, either. Do you even know what character concept artwork is, or what it is supposed to be used for?

This is not concept art. It isn't even fake concept art. It's fake promotional artwork that utilizes an imperfect recreation of an art direction style that isn't even being used for this game. There is no reason for a piece of official artwork like this to exist, and if it did exist it wouldn't look like fanart. Look at that freaking hand! The middle finger is shorter than the others!

So please, go back to trolling other Sonic message boards to see if anyone is falling for your prank. Don't bother wasting your time here.
You're fully within your rights to think that it's fake, however this was given to me by someone who actually has done work on this game, who told me that this WAS concept art, so if you're calling me a liar, you're calling him one too
Last edited by Sazpaimon on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Very well then. You are both liars!

I only hope that this will finally teach Sega to stop handing out digital files of poorly-drawn, fan-art-like secret concept drawings to random game testers. Clearly it gets leaked almost immediately! When oh when will they learn?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Clever move there, OCB, using Sonic Cult as a pawn in spreading your nefarious canards. You almost got away with it this time. You do realize that your approval ratings are going to divebomb, though; better cover this up by leaking something massive, quick.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

The Sweet Sweet trailer is now here at the japan Sonic the Hedgehog site

http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/

it is in slightly better quality than youtube, and if you can read Japanese
you could, I guess, read about the remix.
Last edited by Wooduck51 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OSM

Post by OSM »

Wooduck51 wrote:The Sweet Sweet trailer is now here at the japan Sonic the Hedgehog site

Trailer

it is in slightly better quality than youtube, and if you can read Japanese
you could, I guess, read about the remix.
404 error

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

It's fixed, just go to the movie page, Sorry about that.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

So... Duke? Is that his actual name (a la "Duke Nukem" or "King Bradley" or something) or just his title (a la "Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl, Duke, Duke Duke of Earl, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl, Duke, Duke", etc.)?

Tweaker

Post by Tweaker »

Esrever wrote:Very well then. You are both liars!

I only hope that this will finally teach Sega to stop handing out digital files of poorly-drawn, fan-art-like secret concept drawings to random game testers. Clearly it gets leaked almost immediately! When oh when will they learn?
You, sir, are extremely ignorant.