E3 Sonic Next-Gen trailer on XBOX Live Marketplace

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Who's David?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

He was the original Voice of Shadow.

Also despite my loyalty to Shadow, I would be rather disturbed if that is his silhouette in the text portions, I can't tell if it is Shadow or Super Sonic, hopefully the latter.

And yes, that trailer fills me with hope and rejoicing.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

YEAH! I was gonna complain about that too!

That looks kinda like the first Shadow the Hedgehog picture poster they released. however this one has one fist raised, it could be Super Sonic...but it looks like shadow...dont know why.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

SegaSonic wrote:
Personality-wise, Sonic is getting dangerously close to Mickey Mouse territory(becoming naught but the face of his parent company) when he's really more like The Flash. Sonic needs his mischivious side presented, and more moments like that could do it.
Yeah, you can see the Sonic X influence in here.
Not really. Sonic's personality was the very same back in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, long before Sonic X was ever concieved. Of course, he was much more interesting back in SA1, but I'd attribute that to him having an entire 6th of the story devoted to himself; as everyone was alone most of the time, the characters had to be twice as expressive to pick up the slack. They seem to be returning to this setup, so I wouldn't fret much for now.

Also, the video has left me ecstatic. Fancy me bitching about Sonic's lack of dynamic, exaggerated maneuvers one moment, only to find that they're already off to a good start in correcting the matter. I mean, check it out; he's, like, magically using his speed to generate a shockwave, frying the robot's circuits. Don't ask me how that works, but it's some hot stuff. I quite like the look of this new boss as well. Oh, and for a Nextgen stage, Emerald Coast looks terrible. Start talking, OCB- what happened there?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

What I ment was the Sonic X influence as in his lightning fast speed and tornado voltage power.

Also I think SEGA is using 4KIDS or 4KIDS voluteered to make the music and sounds for these recent videos, because they kinda sound like 4KIDS material.

IGN has it too, with a bigger screen.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/770/770960/vids_1.html

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Gaz wrote:I swear the music from that trailer is from some movie trailer. Maybe it's just generic trailer music.
The latter parts (where the missiles are hitting the city and Sonic is carrying the Princess) immediately reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean. Maybe its just me.

The video is awesome, though. Sonic's personality looks to be heading in the right direction, and they don't really seem to be pushing Shadow's involvement in the game; Perhaps he wont be featured that heavily at all.

(...)

Post by (...) »

Yes, that trailer seemed relatively well-scripted, not to mention pretty. It was ruined only by the hedgehog's size compared to the princess. It's like being rescued from an exploding building by a Disney World mascot in full costume.
Agreed. Sonic's eyeball is bigger than Elise's head!
it just looks they're trying to mix several different styles together that work fine separately but don't actually work together.
Worked for Sonic Adventure. :)
Some new(I think) screenshots.

A lot of it's just from the trailer but there are a few other things like more Shadow and Lava demon stuff.
Wow. The cutscenes really highlight how crap the actual game looks.

Y'know, I read about this exciting new next-gen concept called "lighting". Whereby you put a light source in your world, and the graphics don't appear so flat anymore! They should really consider trying it for this game!

It's not even that hard to implement!

float3 lightDirection = {0, -1, 0};
float3 viewDirection : viewDirection;
return dot(lightDirection, viewDirection);
Here, I did a comparison...

Red Lines: the size of the cloaked guy compared with the robot.

Blue Line: Sonic's size compared with the robot.

Conclusion, either my calculations are wrong or Sonic has a huge head
Perspective makes distant things look small.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The latter parts (where the missiles are hitting the city and Sonic is carrying the Princess) immediately reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean. Maybe its just me.
Yeah, it sounds exactly the same.
Last edited by SegaSonic on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but:
http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/

Updated with loads of stuff. The jungle stage is "Tropical Jungle". The theme song has lyrics. Instead of giutars there are violins. Sounds alright.

Character page: Sonic, Shadow, Silver and Elise have bios (I think flash pages don't like loading for me) Along with suspicious blacked outlines of I presume are Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Omega (<3), Blaze and Eggman.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

To add to that, it seems to be performed by Zebrahead instead of Crush 40. Probably nothing major here - I think they're doing a fine job, nothing that I'll be cringing at for sure, unlike a fair amount of <i>Shadow</i>'s songs ("All Hail Shadow" in particular... urgh).

Am I the only one who's sick of Omega already?

(...)

Post by (...) »

HERE, maybe you can see it clearer now, compare them to Sonic's size now.
Even in that shot, there is enough depth of field to suggest distance between the robots and the monks.
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but:
http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/
My god, that music is appalling. Bring back the guy who did the music for Sonic CD.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Between that and the PSU main theme, I think Sonic Team is trying to create the worst vocal song in the history of the company.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Shadow Hog wrote:Am I the only one who's sick of Omega already?
He's been in only two games... oh.

I don't know really. He had some pretty funny lines in Heroes and a moment of innuendo in Shadow in expert mode. Thats about it.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

The main vocal theme here is far from a disaster, and nowhere near another ALL HAIL SHADOW. Admittedly, the vocals could be a little stronger but I am still happy to be honest. It's nothing as bad as Team Sonic or Team Rose from Sonic Heroes, and although I'm in a minority here I actually enjoyed large parts of that game.

Jack Bz

Post by Jack Bz »

God dammit that song is terrible. It sounded quite good before in the trailers, with the guitar instead of that singing, but man I personally don't like this at all.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Also despite my loyalty to Shadow, I would be rather disturbed if that is his silhouette in the text portions, I can't tell if it is Shadow or Super Sonic, hopefully the latter.
Its been confirmed! they used Shadow's sihloette on that new video thats floating along! the Shadow is from the new artwork on the official site.

THATS SOOOO UBER STUPID of them.
Last edited by SegaSonic on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Forza Johnman wrote:http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/

Updated with loads of stuff. The jungle stage is "Tropical Jungle".
Wow, the crappy way they just blurred out the names of the stages almost makes it just too easy to guess. <strike>Here is what I was able to make out: I'm just missing two of the words, if anyone can help out, please do.</strike>

Code: Select all

KINGDOM VALLEY     CRISIS CITY
TROPICAL JUNGLE    WAVE OCEAN
WHITE ACROPOLIS    DUSTY DESERT
FLAME CORE         RADICAL TRAIN
AQUATIC BASE       END OF THE WORLD
Thanks goes to SegaSonic and One Classy Bloke for filling in the missing info.
Last edited by Neo on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I think its Wave Ocean and Past Acropolis?

PS. you can see Sonic size in Elise's profile!!! hes not huge thank god! :grin:

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

"All Hail Shadow"
Did I ever mention that song was spawned from hell? and come to think of it, so is this new theme, it sounds worse than All Hail, and I thought nothing could be.
Last edited by Wooduck51 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

As with the Sonic game as a whole, I am in two highly conflicted minds about the theme tune. On the one hand it is clearly terrible (the vocals made me vomit up my own pelvis); but on the other, it's really a new and even fresh direction. I like the orchestral element a lot, and I think it works with the game's generally clean and bright aesthetic (you know, going with the cover art, website and so on). The rock elements are all right... I think it's just the vocals that kill it. Kill it, in fact, dead. "He's got the dope sounds pumping on his stereo." :(

I think, though, that I am yet holding my position as Sonic 26k apologist. Does no-one else get a sort of primitive kick out of the clouds on the website? Blue skies, fluffy clouds... just like old times. But with motorcycles, and dope sounds on stereos.
Last edited by Popcorn on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

They could just make the theme a lovely instrumental, and it would fit perfectly.
Also the return of clouds and actual landscapes is a breath of fresh air much needed.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I most definitely get the primitive kick from this screenshot in particular:

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/I ... 23_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/I ... 21_big.jpg

What Sonic Adventure DX should have had?

Can't wait to see Shadow blow it the fuck up not

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I don't mind the vocals in the song, actually. And I definitely dig the rock and orchestra music combo.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

It is Sonic Adventure V.2