E3 Sonic Next-Gen trailer on XBOX Live Marketplace

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Emperor Omochao wrote:Maybe it's like Windy Valley? That level had two parts, obviously not a tremendous difference in speed, but maybe this level has something similar- maybe the wall of water is a bridge between two parts of the level.
All of Sonic's stages in SA had multiple segments (And some of the other characters' stages as well), and when I say that these portions rarely ever bear any similarities to each other, I mean in terms of art, not gameplay. Sonic's Final Egg is the only exception in that it's 3rd and final area completely recycles the 1st's music and textures.
Radrappy wrote:While that may be, there was a definitive break between segments in the E3 demo (from adventure segment to on rails speed during the latter half). The level loaded, and the gameplay was changed fundamentally between parts. I doubt that the level, no matter how many branching paths it would have would include multiple paths on this magnitude (that is to say, two completely different speed portions for a level). It’s not in their character.
True, but it's not like extra speed sections would be terribly hard to create, they seem fairly linear in composition. Even then, the new area might just be a path that allows you to skip the speed segment altogether, or it could come after the Moses bit (More likely than not), as the section resembles less of a valley and more of a palace commons. Still strikingly similar, but it's not likely that they're following the template set by SA, a game made over 8 years ago.

But I digress. It's too early to tell, it could go either way. I do recall seeing a path in one of the earlier tech demos that wasn't present in either of the more resent videos, though; I'll see if I can find it.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

yeah it could go both ways. And I guess there could be multiple ways to finish a level. Maybe they're finally allowing the freedom of choice to players in terms of the gameplay they're looking for.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

When I heard about the town stages and all of the RPG elements, I wondered if there would be a world map. If there are split paths in levels, they might lead to seperate goals and seperate places on the map. That might be too tedious for a Sonic game, but it's possible.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

If they keep level layouts accordingly simple (for branching paths) and complex (for different ways you can go through within the same path in the stage), it can be nothing but good. Sonic's speed should lessen the tedious travel.

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

Well it seems like there will be more pathways than there were in any previous adventure. Although they might just have 'secret places' like a higher route on the same path that leads you to the same place, like in Speed Highway. If the layout was similar to Marble Garden that would be a very good thing or any other S3&K level I suppose. Secret rooms, pathways and completely seperate routes all for just the one character.

They should bring back big rings/star posts to special stages or even other places in the level. It would be good for Sonic's levels. Rushing into a secret room near the bottom of the level and suddenly being transported to the highest route. Who knows if they'll be that creative.

Post by Guest »

New magazine scan
http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasonic/f2.jpg
dear god Robotnik looks horrible

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The legs totally killed his design.

Sonic is an Anime character as you cvan see on my avatar, but when you think of anime characters as real life characters, shit happens..specially if they character and its universe is ridiculous.

We learned a prime example with the Mario movie.

YOU CANT MAKE A GOOFY ANIME CHARACTER REAL.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I think that is the whole point. With this art direction they are, in essence, poking fun at how bizarre it would be if the characters looked realistic. I find it acceptable only if this direction does not become the permanent interpretation of Sonic like it did for Sonic Adventure.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Well maybe they are taking the art design of Sonic in two different directions.
Wild Fire/Rivals etc. are continuing the Sonic Adventure style Sonic.
Sonic 2K6 is the new realistic style.

Also I think Eggman's design would be alright if his coat was a bit longer rather than just stopping at the chest.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Looks like shit to me. Especially freaky Eggman.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

His legs look hideously deformed, and yes, the coat needs to be longer. Could just be a bad angle to look at him from (or so I hope).

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Eggman's legs have meat on them!

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I thought Eggman looked fine, UNTIL I SAW HIS LEGS! They could have put him in bell bottoms and it would have looked better.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Sure, it worked for riders...

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Somehow, Eggman in tights just isn't working for me. Now he just looks comically retarded rather than evil. What's worse, I don't think Sega are trying to show how ridiculous the characters would look in real life. Every character has been "improved" to look cool (I use the term loosely), and Eggman was the same until his horrible lower-portions were revealed. You can't have a badass upper body and then slap on some legs that look like absolute shit and say that's what you wanted with him all along.

On the topic a few pages back about Shadow chaos controlling without an Emerald, it is actually possible to use Chaos Blast before collecting the Emerald in the first level. You have to destroy pretty much all the scenery, but it is possible. Though I doubt it was intentional, so you can still debate whether Shadow is meant to have his chaos powers without an emerald on hand.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I would like to answer two things about this chaos control thing;

Shadow is specifically designed to use chaos energy, therefore he would be able to use residual charges.

In answer to an older debate about Shadow firing the Eclipse cannon while super, if he is running on the power of the seven emeralds it is logical that he could have used himself to power said cannon.

Eggman should have a Neo like trench coat thing that covers his legs.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Okay, so Eggman's lower half is clearly a disaster, but at least Elise looks cute. I just love girls who seem to be new to this whole "standing up" business.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

He looks like he has sweatpants on that just get smaller as they go down. Except most humans have ankles, he doesn't apparently and his sweatpants were custommade.

What is coming out of Elise's head?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Hedgehog ears, for when she pulls a Fiona from Shrek and turns into Sonic's superduper fuckable girlfriend and he can knock her up with Silver.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Zeta wrote:Hedgehog ears, for when she pulls a Fiona from Shrek and turns into Sonic's superduper fuckable girlfriend and he can knock her up with Silver.
Actually happens.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Proof!

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

One Classy Bloke wrote:
Zeta wrote:Hedgehog ears, for when she pulls a Fiona from Shrek and turns into Sonic's superduper fuckable girlfriend and he can knock her up with Silver.
Actually happens.
Really? Your not lying again are you?

Psychobob3

Post by Psychobob3 »

He is lying. Even if such a plot were to exist that revelation would only come toward the end of the plot, and OCB’s only read the first half of the script.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Emperor Omochao wrote: And how much of a continuation will this game be in terms of story? Having not played Shadow the Hedgehog (good thing?) and Sonic Rush, what were the outcomes of the storyline?
Both games have their scripts transcripted on Gamefaqs. Check them out; I recommend reading Shadow's- it'll save money and time.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

A even better time saver is to pretend the game doesn't exist.