StH: White hedgehog revealed · Shadow · PC Version

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Dash

Post by Dash »

What... I... GAH.

I am definitly not digging that design. And that's really saying something, because I've found something to like about every character design so far. Yes, even Shadow. This new guy though... he's making it really fucking hard to do so. I've seen plenty of iffy fan characters that have some kind of haughty ancient look to them, but at least those artists had enough sense to give the character some neat clothes or accessories to balance out the weirdness of thier quills. "Whitey" looks extremly unbalenced. There's nothing on his torso (beyond that laughable chest puff) to give his design some flow. Blaze had some fitting clothes; take note of it and give this guy a fancy vest or something. Good lord I hope this is just an early model(the game isn't too far along yet right?).

I really like that render of Sonic though. A lot of attitude in it (but no crazy toothy grin!:( ). Shadow being there is a bit alarming, but here's hoping they turn him into a good character. It's possible. Maybe.

Hooray for PC release! My wired 360 controller needs another workout.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

It's not really paranoia to say one is disgusted with Sega.
No, but did seeing Whitey and Shadow really make you hate Sega as a whole for it?
Last edited by FlashTHD on Fri May 05, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:I would've just prefered they use Blaze . . . how I miss her. <3
I was thinking about this the other day. They really dropped the ball with her name. They should have called her Nova. Then she could have transformed into Super Nova. Best pun this side of Super Sonic.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I am definitly not digging that design. And that's really saying something, because I've found something to like about every character design so far. Yes, even Shadow.
Shadow's fine, visually, I guess. It's his personality that grates me.

CM August

Post by CM August »

FlashTHD wrote:
No, but did seeing Whitey and Shadow really make you hate Sega as a whole for it?
Oh, I've hated them and their corporate antics for a long time now. What gets me though, is only a few months ago they were gushing about how the series was returning to its roots. And now not only is Shadow back in full force, but we're introduced to yet one more 'rival' for Sonic that actually makes those awful fan characters look good.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

If returning to its roots means returning to SA2...they failed.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

HAHA..... Shadow is in it.

Ahem, I will hold to the fact that (A). Shadow would be better if his story had been written better, and they had not made him so frickin indescisive in ShTH: IF YOU CHOSE EVIL IN THE BEGINNING LEVELS THERE IS NO TURNING BACK; and the Hope that Sonic and Shadow will kill Mr. Light at the end of the game and Sega will auction Shadow off to Nintendo.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I still think it looks good. Come on guys; cheer up, for goodness sake.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The graphics look very good. Unfortunately, I think the level design is already looking poor and Solar the Whitey is silly.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

FlashTHD wrote:
There are different reasons people enjoy the series. Some are in it just for speedy, cool looking games, some because they love platformers, some because they love the characters. I enjoy the sum of its parts, its tonality. The game mechanics could be good, but if the story is bad it diminishes the experience and vice versa. Sonic was a series that harmonized very well; the music, art, story, and gameplay formed one unified experience. There was a magic to it, an special aura. It might be said that the series still harmonizes, but it's playing a distinctly different tune and it's one I'd call mediocre. The fact that this game includes Shadow and a new rival on some kind of serious mission lends to the idea that this game is another method of the same new song rather than a return to the old, which I thought was its freakin' premise.

We may get good gameplay, but I for one expect more from my games than that unless we're talking about pong - and even then I don't want to <i>endure</i> bad story, music, etc.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Then that would make me a bit more tolerant than you. If the story turns out like crap, i'll be disappointed. Not as much as I was with the Shadow game (where the story was a more critical element and was structured terribly), but I will be disappointed - however, if the gameplay is the opposite and is awesome fun, i'll be able to overlook the plot the somewhat. I'm not worried much about the music, which has maintained steadily good quality over the years, nor the visuals which I have no complaints with at all aside from excess "grit" in the city stage.

In fact, I don't have much to question about the game right now other than the story. Still, I haven't read any gameplay impressions that are worth a dime yet and we still lack some finer details about how it plays, so i'll wait for that.
The fact that this game includes Shadow and a new rival on some kind of serious mission lends to the idea that this game is another method of the same new song rather than a return to the old, which I thought was its freakin' premise.
Or so the marketing would have you believe. To be honest, I don't expect this to be a major reinvention. I interpret that as a buzzword. It could just be their "hip" word for trying something new based on the formula from Sonic's game in SA1, which was closer to "the roots" than any 3D Sonic that's come after it. Sounds good to me; that part of SA1 was killer, but the other 5 gameplay styles weren't nearly as good.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ive found something you guys will love!! its still skeptical but..

In this shot I found two flying enemies...look closely, if its what I think it is then the game is saved!

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

The return of Beeton? and I just realized, those are crab bots sonic is fighting.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Zeta wrote:The graphics look very good. Unfortunately, I think the level design is already looking poor and Solar the Whitey is silly.
Did I miss some major gameplay video or something? How do you know much of anything about the level design?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Wooduck51 wrote:The return of Beeton? and I just realized, those are crab bots sonic is fighting.
If Im looking at it right, then it looks something like this.

NEW HOPE HAS BEGUN!!!!!!1111 :smile: for me atleast

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

You know, there's one possibility we've failed to cover: somewhere, somebody could be having good, hard laugh over that brochure. Only when someone else brought this up did I realize that it could be fake.

-- The site that this image originated from was http://ipavel.com/sega/. That link is now dead.
-- The faces of Shadow and Whitey look suspiciously alike. Shadow's chest is not showing either, maybe to not let peole catch on right away that they have nearly indentical chest fluffs.
-- Even with the detailed shadows on the ground, the environment still doesn't look very consistent (this was the only odd thing I noticed until now).
-- The official word is that there will be returning cast members. Not any more specific than that, which means no direct mention of Shadow.
-- Whitey doesn't really look white. The IGN preview said a "cream-colored hedgehog", but this is more like milky blue. It's kind of stunning that no one checked up on this fact yet.
-- In general, the layout of the image is pretty plain. Plus, if it were for PC, wouldn't they stick something more than just "PC" on it to indicate that?
-- The logo's different. You'd think a change like that would be brought up by someone important.

I wouldn't feel too bad about getting fooled by this...I can tell from this topic in this forum alone that everybody was too busy blinking in disbelief at the two extra hedgehogs to notice.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

good points there..yet another reason for not trusting the media.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Everyone thought Shadow toting an uzi was an April Fool's joke, too.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Dont remind me of that April fools joke that actually came true! *vomits* even worse!! 4KIDS got in charge of the VA's!! *vomits soul*

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

It's possible that it's a fake from a talented CGI artist. For example, that PC logo is just some regular font, not the semi-standard PC logo that is typically used in advertisements.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

"Sonic celebrates his 15th anniversary by blazing his way onto the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles with his first adventure set in the human world in Sonic The Hedgehog! Featuring interactive 3D environments and a large cast of returning and new characters, get ready for the reinvention of Sonic The Hedgehog, in his most intense, high velocity escapade to date."

Doesn't seem like they'd put PC on that yet exclude it from this new update on their E3 site. But this first adventure in the human world sounds fun! And incase anyone is wondering, or maybe I'm just slow, there's this article on Gamespot about it. Eggman seems to have lost a little weight.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html ... pid=929718

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Darn, how much weigth can he lose?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

If we're starting a name pool, I put my money on Sol, Snow, Burst, Daze, Sky, or Persnickety.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Ritz wrote:Even though we need a new character like a knife to the face, I can't help but be overcome with a profound burst of excitement and anticipation at the mention of a fresh face. What'll we get next? Rask the Wolf? Bailey the Manatee? Illusion the shotgun-toting Demonhog? I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Universal enema.

If there was but one good thing to come out of all this, it's that the addition of Whitey has made me realize just how charming Shadow's design was.
FlashTHD wrote:BTW, you have no idea what a faggot is until you've been to the Sonic Stadium forums. Trust me.
I take it you're referring to Flint, Roarey, BirdieGryphon and Falc? For what it's worth, they all happen to be good friends of mine. So, yeah, I hope you aren't trying to start something

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Seriously, I was too shocked at the terrible appearance of the new character to even think "OH NO SHADOW" until you guys brought it up.

The character is ugly as sin, and the story surrounding him looks pretty flat at the moment, really the outlook isn't that great overall. The only redeeming feature I see about him so far is that we may be able to use these supernatural powers of his during the levels, and so long as Sonic Team do it right (ie. not the pea-shooter style rendition of Chaos Spear in ShTH) then it could actually be pretty fun, even if only on a very shallow level.

Hopefully they'll finally have Shadow sorted out, at least.