Phantasy Star Universe preview

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

:FUS: New PSU information from Gamespy

Gamespy were recently invited to a preview of Phantasy Star Universe. Their report reveals new details about the combat system, MAGs and single player mode.

The combat system has been redesigned allowing for 6 hit combo chains – twice as many as PSO. Players will also be able to hold two weapons at once.

The MAGs have also received several upgrades, although most of these are still being kept secret. The most significant addition is their new humanoid form, which enables them to craft valuable items for the player.

The single player mode sports between 35-to-40 hours of play. One of its more curious features is a new hover boarding section.

The full preview can be found here.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Wait, I thought that EGM article confirmed there would be no MAGs in this game?

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Protodude wrote:Wait, I thought that EGM article confirmed there would be no MAGs in this game?
Right. They're called Partner Machinery now. Unlike MAGs, they don't follow you around boosting your stats and whatnot. Your PM will stay in your room aboard the Guardians Colony until you evolve it enough to turn it into its humanoid form. Once that happens, you'll be able to bring your PM along with you to actually fight at your side. I've only seen a PM using a sword, but I figure you'll be able to have it use whatever weapons you want. Oh, and your PM also has the ability to synthesize items into new items and weapons and such. You'll happen across synthesis boards in your adventure which you can give your PM. Each board has a number of slots in it that you have to fill with a certain "recipe" of items in order to (possibly) have a new item successfully created.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Since it sounds like you're in the beta, would you mind explaining some basic things about the game?

I'm most interested in the improvements in this one from PSO. Like, how large are the stages in comparison? Do they feel less restricted? How's the range of level variety? (I really hope it's not as limited as PSO)
Stuff like that.

Parn

Post by Parn »

Going to bed shortly, so I'll write something more substantial later in the hopes of answering some questions (assuming Espiokaos doesn't), but in the meantime, rape my bandwidth:

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/screenshots/beta/

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/beta/

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/music/

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Hey, Parn. Thanks again. ;)
Segaholic2 wrote:Since it sounds like you're in the beta, would you mind explaining some basic things about the game?

I'm most interested in the improvements in this one from PSO. Like, how large are the stages in comparison? Do they feel less restricted? How's the range of level variety? (I really hope it's not as limited as PSO)
Stuff like that.
Well, I only just got to start the beta this morning, so I haven't played as much as I'd like. But, I'll try to answer what I can.

The initial stage you run through is SEED-infested Linear Line inside the Guardians Colony. It isn't huge by any means, so I guess it's not the best example to use, but I'll still mention it. It reminded me of PSO levels a bit, expect it didn't seem to have that feel of large room, hallway, large room, hallway, etc. like the mines or seabed plant. (Then again, maybe the excitement of finally getting to play the game made me not notice that.) A better example of level size would be Raphon Plains on Parum. I still haven't finished that area since I'm so low level, but I got to explore a decent bit just running from enemies. (My poor FObeast kept getting raped by Shagreeths and packs of Vahras, so I've got some leveling to do before I head back there.) At first glace, Raphon looks gigantic. Absolutely huge. As you explore, you'll notice that there is a set path, but it didn't really make me feel restricted or confined. The path was large and open enough to give me decent room to roam, and the barriers felt natural. Smallish cliffs and other steep dropoffs are some of the barriers I recall, along with thick foliage and greenery.

The lobbies are nicely sized, too. Clyze City on the Colony has five different floors to run around on, each with its own purpose. (Shopping, transportation, Guardians missions, etc.) Holtes City on Parum is divided up into different sections: east, central and west. I think there might be more areas that are closed off for the beta, though. And Ohtoku City on Neudaiz is of a nice size, too, from what I saw this morning. I didn't take the time to run around the entire city to see how far down each path along the river runs, but judging from the size of the other two cities, I'd say it stretches for a fair bit. I would've ventured into Mizuraki Preserve on Neudaiz, but considering how badly I was getting beaten at Raphon, I was honestly too afraid. I'll try that area once I've leveled up more.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Oh geez, Parn, those videos make me excited. Including in my pants.

Great looking environments, control looks good, the enemies don't mindlessly gravitate to the closest person, and I've already seen almost as many enemy types as there were in all of PSO. Sweet.