Sonic Wii confirmed • New StH info from Gamespy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic Wii confirmed • New StH info from Gamespy

Post by big_smile »

Sonic Wii confirmed
:FUS: New impressions of Sonic next-gen • Sonic’s Next gen Nintendo debut confirmed

Gamespy were also present at the next-gen Sonic demonstration held earlier today. Their report contains a few pieces of information not present in IGN’s article.

Perhaps the biggest revelation is that the Sonic will officially be appearing on the Nintendo Wii. No information about the title was released, although Sega stated that the game would be completely different from the PS3 and X-Box 360 title.

Moving back to Sonic the Hedgehog, Gamespy have discovered the new game will contain "mach speed areasâ€￾ that make use of clever camera tricks to deliver a sensation of speed previously unseen in video games.

The new title doesn’t just focus on speed. Those missing the exploration sections from the Mega Drive games will be pleased to learn that each stage contains multiple paths with a plethora of hidden bonus items. Sonic will be able to make use of his new wall running and slipstream air riding abilities to fully explore the levels

The full Gamespy report can be found here.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I have a feeling at the moment Sonic Wii is in a Sonic DS tech demo like stage, nothing but tests that show possibilities of what could be done with wierd experimental control methods. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident if there's anything at all on it at E3, it's going to be extremely minimal.

Those next gen Sonic comments are somewhat interesting, but I expect the "clever camera tricks" are really nothing special whatsoever and the multiple paths are no more interesting than the previous 3D attempts at multiple routes. I'm curious about what these "slipstream air riding abilities" are though.
Last edited by James McGeachie on Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

According to 1 UP online modes are being considered. The game is currently set to be released along side the PS3.

TheLifeRuiner

Post by TheLifeRuiner »

James McGeachie wrote:I have a feeling at the moment Sonic Wii is in a Sonic DS tech demo like stage, nothing but tests that show possibilities of what could be done with wierd experimental control methods. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident if there's anything at all on it at E3, it's going to be extremely minimal.
Hmm... Agreed. And the finished DS project bore no resemblance outside of the astounding special stages to the tech demo. You could say that I'm very... very excited. :grin:
Those next gen Sonic comments are somewhat interesting, but I expect the "clever camera trciks" are really nothing special whatsoever and the multiple paths are no more interesting than the previous 3D attempts at multiple routes. I'm curious about what these "slipstream air riding abilities" are though.
Heh. Those fools should know that their "clever camera tricks" are not going to save their game. What they need is innovation... nay, NINnovation :twisted: This game will be nothing compared to the Wii game...

Wii will change everything.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

So, are we ready to turn guest posting off?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Sorry, but that's just a narrow-minded fanboy view. For one, no-one actually knows much about Sonic on the Wii, let alone you.
Yes, the Wii game may be good, but it's useles to even speculate at this time.

On the new STH game though, it mentions mach areas, meaning that running at top speed may only be employed at certain areas, this could be the old ethos of playing Sonic with fast sections and then exploration before setting off running again.

I'm actually looking forward to the game, now that the game focuses on Sonic, we can hopefully expect some innovative gameplay. It was annoying playing with several characters with the same movesets like in Heroes and to a smaller extent in Adventure 2.

Oh and until we get some more info, Wii will change fuck-all.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

TheLifeRuiner wrote:. Those fools should know that their "clever camera tricks" are not going to save their game. What they need is innovation... nay, NINnovation
This is where I stopped taking you seriously. There is no definite way to know if either game is better until we play both objectively, which I'm doubting will be possible for you, Mr. Fanboyish-Joke-Poster.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Re: Sonic Wii confirmed • New StH info from Gamespy

Post by Frieza2000 »

big_smile wrote:Gamespy have discovered the new game will contain "mach speed areasâ€￾ that make use of clever camera tricks to deliver a sensation of speed previously unseen in video games.
The only thing I can picture for this is scripted action segments. If they start playing with the angle while you're in control it gets annoying (see SA1).

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Maybe Sonic Wii will actually lack shitty Sonic Evil Twins?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm really curious how they're going to balance concurrently developing two next-gen Sonic games. I'm imagining a scenario where one game comes out looking and playing a lot better than the other. Or, y'know, the Wii version being a crappy port with enough things dumbed down that they can call it an "original" title.

I'm also imagining the Wii game relying on shitty Wii gimmicks like all Wii games seem required to have.

I'm a pessimist, obviously.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'm hoping for a 3-D version of Sonic Rush, more or less.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Segaholic2 wrote:I'm really curious how they're going to balance concurrently developing two next-gen Sonic games. I'm imagining a scenario where one game comes out looking and playing a lot better than the other. Or, y'know, the Wii version being a crappy port with enough things dumbed down that they can call it an "original" title.

I'm also imagining the Wii game relying on shitty Wii gimmicks like all Wii games seem required to have.

I'm a pessimist, obviously.
So how do you make use of the Wii and not have it be a gimmick?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Design a gameplay mechanic that utilizes the Wii's capabilities in an essential, innovative, unique way that is easy to pick up and learn, yet not so shallow that it's old after 10 minutes.

Exactly the opposite of everything we've seen so far.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I dunno, that Ubisoft game, Red Steel looks pretty cool. You also have to take into consideration that no one has any expierience whatsoever with this controller. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes two years before we really see something awesome. As long as the developers don't puss out before that do to financial reasons or something.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Still, what would you do with it?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Have we seen anything so far? I've read text descriptions of how Monkey Ball, Madden and Red Steel are going to work, but that's pretty much it. I have no doubt that there will be plenty of lame, gimmicky games for the Wii, but I wasn't aware we were already finding out about them!

I am almost 100 percent sure that Sonic Wiggle-stick Edition or whatever it's called will be another half-assed minigame collection ala Sega Superstars or Feel the Magic. I just don't think that a regular 3D Sonic lends itself to more than a subtle use of the Wii controller, like using the tilt for camera manipulation or something, and if they're building a whole game just for the Wii, I'm sure they'll want to make a more substantial use of the Wii's features than something that simple.

Ironically, the Wii probably would have been a great control system for Shadow. You could have used the nunchuck attachment for the usual joystick movement, and the remote for aiming and shooting. It probably would have made some of those good and evil missions a lot less aggrevating, since you'd actually be able to, you know, aim your gun and avoid shooting friendlies.

James McGeachie

There's actually a very good chance Sonic Wii will actually be a regular third person 3d Sonic, because I heard reports (and the guy seems fairly trustworthy, he'd confirmed Ubisoft were developing a FPS for Revolution a good month or two before Red Steel appeared) that one of the experiments they'd been doing on Wii involved some type of normal gameplay, using the analogue to move and, rather strangely, using the controllers up and down motions to adjust the speed you were running at. Obviously that's just what it sounds like though, nothing but an experiment, but it seems to suggest at the very least they're attempting to get a regular platforming Sonic to work with the control.
Exactly the opposite of everything we've seen so far.
Red Steel is pretty much all that's really been seen and to be perfectly honest I think the control scheme for it sounds fantastic. If the control the way it's supposed to and the system actually proves successful and gathers a large amount of support, I don't have any doubts in my mind that it'll quickly become the ultimate system for first person shooters.

Now every other genre on the other hand....well I guess that remains to be seen.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I really want to see how swordplay with the Revolution (sic) controller is going to work.
James McGeachie wrote:...using the controllers up and down motions to adjust the speed you were running at.
Sounds a lot like Sonic DS using the touch pad for speed. Out of curiousity, does Rush's special stages use the touch pad like that?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The Wii controller is absolutely perfect for any kind of shooter, first person or third person. It obliterates the need for lame, awkward concessions to ease-of-use like lock on targeting. If you want to shoot an enemy on screen, you just point at it. You don't even have to change the direction of your character!

I still don't really see how it will benifit any kind of platformer where you don't have to aim at things. But then, I'm not a game designer.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I figure they'll do something really crazy with Sonic on Wii, like they'll try making something that feels a bit more tactile with more emphasis on interacting with surfaces and making use of the tilting functions of the controller. (maybe compare it to MonkeyBall, or something you play with a trackball..) I don't imagine it would be all that different from something that could be done with a regular pad, but it would be something different. It's what I'm hoping for, anyway..

James McGeachie

Senbei wrote:I really want to see how swordplay with the Revolution (sic) controller is going to work.
James McGeachie wrote:...using the controllers up and down motions to adjust the speed you were running at.
Sounds a lot like Sonic DS using the touch pad for speed. Out of curiousity, does Rush's special stages use the touch pad like that?
They use the touch screen, but not like that. You just ran down a traditional half pipe but using the screen to control how Sonic moves. It works really well though because it allow for quick reflex movements and spike dodging that isn't really possible with normal controls.