Sonic Next-Gen - First Look from IGN

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

big_smile wrote:Schema theory suggests we develop mental lists of rules (or schemas) to speed up our understanding of what we see. For example, our film schema tells us that it is okay to laugh when a person is hurt in a comedy.
What if you laugh when it isn't a comedy? Am I just a monster?

Yami

Post by Yami »

No, just a little "off".

And personally, I hope that this game DOES get released for Wii. I could care LESS what "retooling" SEGA'd have to do, I just want to play this game on the system that I already have reserved!

I mean, all this talk about "Sonic Wii will be a totally different experience" just annoys me. Hasn't anyone thought that maybe, just MAYBE, Sonic / Nintendo hybrid fanboys like me WANT the same experience as the other guys?

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I will call this game Sonic Adventure 3. It was going to be Sonic Begins, but seeing how Shadow and "the human world" are now into the mix, it looks more like a follow-up the Sonic Adventure games. Not really going back to the roots now.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

When was this game every said to be a remake or a new beginning? Or is that just what every one thought when it was called simply "Sonic the Hedgehog?" As for "back to the roots," everyone and their cat was screaming that about Sonic Heroes, so I never really bought into it for this game anyway. I wonder why anyone did.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Because it's a direct quote from interviews.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'm pretty sure the whole resetting the continuity thing was just a theory or misinterpretation. Because that would be stupid. Stupid on a scale I really don't think this series will reach (this year). Especially if they're changing it into some crap about a kingdom, an iblis trigger, and Shadow. It would truncate the past success that has carried this bunch of increasingly generic characters for the last half a decade. It would be needlessly confusing and displacing. If I wanted to start a new series, I'd start a new series. One with designers that have souls.

Anyway, I think the reason that hope is so high is because, as you said Chris, of the name and the "we're serious this time" kind of PR it got. This is also the first major game from SOJ since Adventure 1.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Double-S- wrote:Because it's a direct quote from interviews.
As it also was with Heroes, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I figured once an entity proved to be historically dishonest that their credibility might be suspect in the future as well.

Frieza:

Yeah I can see what people used as support for that new beginning theory but I don't see how people could have put much stock in it, since it wasn't so much support as just a nebulous title. Maybe it was more wishful thinking after Heroes-Shadow.

I really don't understand the current state of Sonic games to be honest. It just boggles my mind because, to me, it doesn't seem that hard to make a decent Sonic game, so I'm looking at each subsequent turd that Sonic Team drops and I think to myself "Are they trying to run this series into the ground on purpose." Of course I alway am able to find people that will actually defend these titles, so maybe it's just a vocal minority that is off base.

I'm still trying to figure out why there was a Sonic Heroes and not a Sonic Adventure 3. My only guess is that they wanted a cross-platform game and thought they had to start fresh with a new "series." They could have made it in the same direction as a Sonic Adventure 3 would have been but just called it something else. I remember conversation about an SA3, I don't remember anyone thinking it would be cool to merge Brute Force into the mix.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Professor Machenstein wrote:I will call this game Sonic Adventure 3. It was going to be Sonic Begins, but seeing how Shadow and "the human world" are now into the mix, it looks more like a follow-up the Sonic Adventure games. Not really going back to the roots now.
Sonic has always been on the human world, they just didnt show humans in the past games.

but Movies and other media show that Sonic indeed lived along side humans since day one.

Humans magicaly apeared in SA1 because this time the story was gonna be bigger than before "RPG'' In the old games they didnt had to show them.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'm gonna agree with the Professor here. I think SA3 is the most realistic way to look at something with adventure fields, what looks like Westopolis aftermath, and a new character that looks like an albino horse's ass caught in a meat thresher.

What I'm wondering is, let's just say they went along with the "roots" thing instead of what they've done. The plot, instead of being stupid, either wouldn't exist or would be Heroes-minimalist. Which looks better on paper, but as for myself, when I get up in the latter stages, I want to cling onto some consequences to enhance it, low-grade as it may be. I really do.

I guess I'm going to be one of the ones who defends this game until either the guns come back or Sonic snorts a line of cocaine off a stripper's ass. Or until the game is released. Whichever comes first.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Hey guys!

This site showcases the new trailer and pictutres from the trailer. Appearently, they are incorpoating Shadow the Hedgehog gameplay complete with tanks and probably guns.

And the princess looks so totally realistic just to go with the uber-realistic and dark setting this game is in.

And we have more pictures of Whitey! Now we can see his clever design in full glory.

Isn't that so totally dandy!! =D

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

OMG OMG OMG!!! 0_o

I like the new Hedgehog before, but now I like him alot!!! he looks like something Angelic!!

I think this game will have religious flare! nice!

And I think that creature could be the Iblis or what ever the name is.

Eggman is just....creepy.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I think I smell how this game may work: Sonic does Sonic-ey stuff, Shadow blows things up for Sonic, and Light man sucks peoples souls as a testament to the tails doll.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I guess Iizukas influence is clear!

I hope Eggman is the only 4KIDS voice.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I just downloaded the trailer.

... Yeah.

Eggman gives me the creeps. You know those bizarre Japanese fan pictures of Mario where everyone looks all realistic and stuff? Yeah. That kind of creepy.

Also, Shadow. Riding vehicles again. Thankfully he is not riding a convertible automobile this time, but one of those Jak 3 looking vehicles. Still kind of stupid though, considering Shadow's speed.

The white hedgehog is not as offensive as he looked in the poster. My big problem with him now is that he sounds almost like Shadow. Distinction, people! The princess looks lovely though.

Sonic does not seem to be very floaty anymore like he was in the Tokyo Game Show footage. His segments in Kingdom Valley reminded me of Phantasy Star Universe for some reason. Very colorful. Blue skies too.

The lava demon must be Iblis. Another "Super Sonic verses huge monster" type final battle I predict. All I can say is Iblis looks really awesome. His design beats Perfect Chaos, Final Hazard, Metal Overlord and Doom Dragon combined. I still want a character verses character final battle though.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I think it'd be great if EGGMAN was the friggin' final boss. For once. Since, what, S&K?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Double-S- wrote:I think it'd be great if EGGMAN was the friggin' final boss. For once. Since, what, S&K?
Yeah, When I saw that thing I said..there goes Eggman as the Final boss.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Creepy Eggman, ugly princess (hey! here's someone who remembers Tifa Lockhart), stupid-looking secondary characters gameplay, plain non-impressive (as of now at least) main character gameplay, repetitive catchy fight-4-da-future BGM, flashy-n-speedy graphs...

IT HAS IT ALL!!!!

Since it's a 30-40 seconds teaser, I should ('n will) wait until some useful shit emerges from the deeps of the Internets to give my two cents...
Last edited by Zarathustra on Mon May 08, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'll be totally honest. The still shots devastated me. Especially Shadow. I was about to go all LAPD on him and go "GET OUT OF THE CAR, BLACKIE."

The movie left me awestruck. It looks gorgeous, and the gameplay... the movements of the characters actually look interesting, in a way I don't usually feel unless I'm the one playing. Sonic Team's level designs all look interesting now, for the first time in ages.

I will suffer through Shadow cabbie, and hope it plays out like a really bulky Gamma (fortunately, the runways don't look as constrictive as they were in SA2).

And Ipswitch or whatever his name is just looks like the fire version of Chaos. Except someone in charge said "Let's not have him look like a Jello mold this time."

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

DackAttac wrote: And Ipswitch or whatever his name is just looks like the fire version of Chaos. Except someone in charge said "Let's not have him look like a Jello mold this time."
Yeah, I thought that too. The head seems straight out of PSO or Panzer Dragoon, though. Not that that's a bad thing.
Also, I'm hoping Shadow isn't competely bound to the Jeep, because that would be all kinds of gay.

Re: Could it be...

Post by Guest »

Zarathustra wrote:Rescuing a princess?

Having a nemesis?

Forests, castles and city landscapes?

Hmm, let me think it for a moment...

OH, YES! Could it be something like...

this?

(fuck, I just gave a terrible idea to Konami...)
Personally, i'd love a 3D Rocket Knight remake. (Never played the SNES Sparkster games, but Rocket Knight on Genesis was awesome..)

Anyway..

Saw the trailer. This game looks to be another Heroes or Shadow.

Eggman obviously won't be a final boss. I don't think he ever will be. Sonic Team seems to be of the opinon now that Eggman is just a silly scientist who poses no threat whatsoever. The only threats come from the evil things Eggman unearths. (Chaos, Shadow, and now the 'Flames of Disaster')

The graphics are pretty good, but the robots look too 'anime' like, and not as kooky and wacky as the robots from the Genesis games. They remind me of SWATbots.

Here's how i predict the game will go..

Sonic: HAHA! I'm Sonic! EXTREME MAN!

Eggman: Oh-ho! I will unleash this powerful force to rule the world!

*Powerful Force turns into monster*

Eggman: Oh no! What have i done!? It's going to destroy Earth! Help me stop it, Sonic!

Sonic: Ok. *SUPER SONIC TRANSFORM!*

Silver: Hey Sonic.

*SUPER SONIC/SUPER SILVER TEAMUP! WOOOOOOOOOOOW!*

*BATTLE WITH HEAVY METAL SONG BY CRUSH40*

Sonic: Hey, we defeated the monster! Hm, you're not a bad guy after all.

Silver: Neither are you! Hey, let's be friends, and i can be in every one of your new games!

Sonic: Sounds cool.

Eggman: YOU HAVENT SEEN THE LAST OF ME.

Princess: Oh Sonic! You saved the day!

Sonic: Yeah, i'm awesome like that. BYE!

*Sonic runs off*

THE END.

(And of course, some mindless Shadow "i'm the ultimate life, this is who i am, i've put the past behind me, i'm cooler than Sonic, i'm gonna destroy some stuff" drivel.)

Sonic really has gone down the crapper.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

One: there was really no reason to revive this thread. You've been warned.
Two: that summarization is actually pretty amusing (and accurate).