Sonic Rivals Q&A with GameSpot

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Sonic Rivals Q&A with GameSpot

Post by Segaholic2 »

GameSpot UK has an interview with Takashi Iizuka regarding Sonic Rivals for PSP.

This confirms the playable characters in the game, and also confirms that a <b>new character</b> is being introduced to the Sonic universe.
<b>GameSpot:</b> Why did you decide to create this type of sonic game for the PlayStation Portable, as opposed to a more traditional platformer? (Such as Sonic Rush on the Nintendo DS?)

<b>Takashi Iizuka:</b> The processing power of the PSP allows us to create beautifully sculpted 3D environments, while the portability gave us a chance to create a new type of Sonic game where we incorporate the traditional platform action with racing.

<b><b>GS:</b></b> How are you blending the 2D and 3D elements in the game? (that is, does it play something like Sonic Rush in terms of parts being straight 2D and other parts being pure 3D, such as in the boss fights in that game?).

<b>TI:</b> We are blending the traditional 2D platform action within the three-dimensional space...a similar challenge encountered in our creation of NiGHTS.

<b><b>GS:</b></b> What sonic characters will appear in the game? Which are playable?

<b>TI:</b> We currently have four playable characters, including Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow as well as introducing a brand new member of the Sonic family.

<b><b>GS:</b></b> What will the gameplay be like? Is it just the sonic basics of jump and run, or is there more to it?

<b>TI:</b> The gameplay will incorporate all of the traditional Sonic actions, such as jumping, running, and attacking, but what makes this game completely different is the "rival" feature. This game is based on competition between Sonic and a rival, where players will jostle, trip, and push each other, trying to be the first to cross the finish line. No matter if you're playing against the computer's AI or against your friend, the competition will be fierce and challenging from start to finish.

<b>GS:</b> Will there be a power-up system in place? If so, how will it work?

<b>TI:</b> Yes. This is a brand new power-up system based around a racing platformer, where the players can utilize the power-ups in both offensive and defensive ways. We'll be releasing more details about this system shortly.

<b>GS:</b> Will there be hidden areas and bonus games?

<b>TI:</b> We'll be releasing more info on that shortly.

<b>GS:</b> How will the customization system work? (Is it like equipping cards?)

<b>TI:</b> We have a robust reward-card system that allows the user to customize their characters.

<b>GS:</b> How is the game structured? Is the single-player game just a series of linear races shaped into a story or something else?

<b>TI:</b> You'll be able to play as one of four characters from the Sonic world, each having their own unique storyline. In the single-player mode, you will race through various zones, trying to thwart Eggman's evil plans.

<b>GS:</b> How will the multiplayer game work? What modes will it offer? Will it be ad hoc, infrastructure, or both?

<b>TI:</b> The multiplayer game is designed to be ad hoc, taking advantage of the PSP platform technology, enabling you to battle head to head, as well as be able to trade and wager cards with your friends.

<b>GS:</b> Will there be game sharing?

<b>TI:</b> We'll be releasing more info on that shortly.

<b>GS:</b> Thanks for your time.
Source: http://uk.gamespot.com/psp/driving/soni ... e=previews

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ugh, now Iizuka has de-evolved to the point of a human broken record.

Is he directing this? That would make for major mistake number 2, and we've only known about the game for less than a day.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

That Iizuka and his stupid "Heroes" ideals and Eggpawns, heres a man who actually thinks Heroes was the greatest game...therefore all we will ever recieve is crap..as seen in Shadow the Hedgehog, the biggest stupidity in history.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

THERE AREN'T ENOUGH CHARACTER IN THE SONIC UNIVERSE!

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Wow. Second day since its announcement and already my anticipation boat has sunk. At this rate, we should call it a miracle that SONIC the Hedgehog had its first eight months of optimistic bliss.

Seriously, stop with the new characters. Stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it! Truth be told, the only thing that interested me about Sonic Rivals was the possible inclusion of Metal Sonic, and now I cannot even look forward to that.

See you in the dark coal mine of forgettable Sonic titles with Sonic Pinball Party and Tails Skypatrol, Sonic Rivals. Also, if there is any justice in the world, Iizuka will get peed on during or after this E3.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I think I get it now. They're building to a climax where at E3 they'll announce the production of Shadow the Hedgehog 2 and the Sonic Dating Sim. Then, just as our outrage and despair has peaked, Yuji Naka will jump out of a closet and yell "Surprise!" and show us the game Sonic Team has <i>really</i> been working on for the past 6 years.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I knew there was something wrong when a few months ago it looked to me like the series might've been getting back on its feet. Good to see everything is back to normal and there's no hope whatsoever again.

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

Iizuka's a git.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

THERE AREN'T ENOUGH CHARACTER IN THE SONIC UNIVERSE!
The funny thing is, I remember when that was true.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

They should've just stopped with Knuckles. Or Big. Big is cool. Except for Big, Rogue, and the Chaotix, I haven't cared for any characters that came out of the pipeline since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Even though we need a new character like a knife to the face, I can't help but be overcome with a profound burst of excitement and anticipation at the mention of a fresh face. What'll we get next? Rask the Wolf? Bailey the Manatee? Illusion the shotgun-toting Demonhog? I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Shame that it won't last, though.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:They should've just stopped with Knuckles. Or Big. Big is cool. Except for Big, Rogue, and the Chaotix, I haven't cared for any characters that came out of the pipeline since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
No love for Gamma?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Ritz wrote:Even though we need a new character like a knife to the face, I can't help but be overcome with a profound burst of excitement and anticipation at the mention of a fresh face. What'll we get next? Rask the Wolf? Bailey the Manatee? Illusion the shotgun-toting Demonhog? I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Shame that it won't last, though.
It'll probably be the white hedgehog from the next-gen game.

Yami

Post by Yami »

SegaSonic wrote:That Iizuka and his stupid "Heroes" ideals and Eggpawns, heres a man who actually thinks Heroes was the greatest game...therefore all we will ever recieve is crap..as seen in Shadow the Hedgehog, the biggest stupidity in history.
*I* liked the Shadow game. The story was certainly better than the plothole that was Sonic Heroes, but I digress...

So they're sticking in ANOTHER new character? Why? They've already got Metal Sonic, the ORIGINAL rival (other than Knuckles, of course), and sticking in Jet might not have hurt either, except for Griffith's lameass voice acting.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Kishi wrote:It'll probably be the white hedgehog from the next-gen game.
I came to that grim realization soon after posting that, I just hadn't finished browsing the rest of the forum, and consequently wasn't aware. Honestly, though, I wouldn't care much about him if he were something, anything other than a hedgehog.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Remember when they killed of Gamma and didn't bring him back? Remember when they used to do that? Kill off a character when it was appropriate? It was like the opposite of adding a character!

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Locit wrote:Remember when they killed of Gamma and didn't bring him back?
They reused him in Battle.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

And Shuffle.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Both Gamma and Omega are on the character vote thingy at Sonic Channel.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

So are Bean, Bark and Ray. Your point?

Yami

Post by Yami »

Frieza2000 wrote:
Locit wrote:Remember when they killed of Gamma and didn't bring him back?
They reused him in Battle.
Mayhaps, but that technically wasn't the same Gamma that was in Sonic Adventure.

Of course, I could just be getting nitpicky...

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ritz wrote:So are Bean, Bark and Ray. Your point?
He might get used instead of lets say...Ray.

shit happens.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Frieza2000 wrote:I think I get it now. They're building to a climax where at E3 they'll announce the production of Shadow the Hedgehog 2 and the Sonic Dating Sim. Then, just as our outrage and despair has peaked, Yuji Naka will jump out of a closet and yell "Surprise!" and show us the game Sonic Team has <i>really</i> been working on for the past 6 years.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

It'd better be a closet made of hopes and dreams.