Need for Sonic Underground Rivals (PSP)

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Yami

Post by Yami »

SegaSonic wrote:indeed, psp is pwning now
You must not have seen any recent Japanese sales charts, my friend.

In other news, WHY?! OH GOD WHY?! I hate the PlayStation franchise with all my soul, but then they do THIS! It's like the Nintendo and Sonic fanboys inside of me are at war right now!

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

No offense, but it would be better if both sides died.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I remember when that happened to me when Sonic got announced on Nintendo.

Let's see... how did I deal with that...?

Oh! Yes, I grew a pair of testicles and got over it. Give it shot. Whaddyasay?

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Although nothing seems to have been confirmed on an official site both Sonic Stadium and Sonic Cult are saying that Silver is confirmed to be the 4th character in Sonic Rivals.

Psychobob3tb

Post by Psychobob3tb »

Gaz wrote:Although nothing seems to have been confirmed on an official site both Sonic Stadium and Sonic Cult are saying that Silver is confirmed to be the 4th character in Sonic Rivals.
Yeah I help out on The Sonic Stadium and we happen to have a guy at E3, he's currently writing reports for each of the three day’s he’s at E3. If you go to the main page, the second update down, he has an account of the Sonic 2006 demo which he played, and a few questions about Shadow with a SEGA PR person.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Knuckles got shafted!

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I knew Knuckles was a gonner.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Saz uploaded a video of the game in action.

I dunno what to think, really. The whole race thing just doesn't seem to be working for me. I suppose it would work as a standard Sonic platformer, but even then, the level design seems fairly bland. I like the general look of the environment, though.
Last edited by Ritz on Thu May 11, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Visually I'd rate this "decent" at best for the moment but the gameplay looks like utter garbage. I really don't understand why they chose to go with this horrible racing thing, if the game was simply a fully 3d Sonic sidescroller with some boost elements like Rush then it could've probably been pretty cool but instead it's looking uninspired and boring.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

Oh dear, in motion the game doesn't look any good at all. It's fairly colourful but it looks slow and awkward. Maybe I'm spoiled by Sonic Rush's insane speeds but this game did look quite bland and simple in motion. The racing thing could get annoying after a while too. I like to explore the levels at my leisure. There seemed to be a complete lack of alternate routs too. I was looking for a reason to keep hold of my PSP and not sell it Alas, it may be e-bay bound soon.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

If it's in one piece (no damage) and you sell it for less than $200, I might buy it.
... oh, nevermind.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

That footage actually makes Rivals look pretty good. I saw evidence of a lot of alternate paths, as well as zero bottomless pits. The physics are clearly janky with regard to gravity and momentum, but I'd expect that to be ironed out prior to release. The only thing that still bothers me about this is, well, the central gameplay mechanic. But even though they're taking it in an unfavorable direction, at least they're doing it really well.

Post by Guest »

Guess Sonic Team has not pushed their love for botomless pits on Backbone Entertainment. Sonic Rivals can actually turn out to be very good... :shock: [/code]

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

It looks quite boring to me.

Espio

Post by Espio »

Ngangbius wrote:It looks quite boring to me.
Be positive, smile, and enjoy your life! :wink:

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

If I'm supposed to be upbeat about a game, it sure wouldn't be over Sonic Rivals.

In fact it makes me a sad panda. =<

Now this, on the other hand is a more justified reason to get giddy over. ^_^

Espio

Post by Espio »

Ngangbius wrote:Now this, on the other hand is a more justified reason to get giddy over. ^_^
Lol, guess you have a warm heart after all...

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Esrever wrote:They should make a pangolin Sonic character. It's the perfect fit! Pangolins are kind of obscure, they roll into balls, they look cool, what more does the world need?

Well, I think one of the first 151 pokemon is already based on that thing, too bad Sega didn’t used your idea before 1995.

CE

Post by CE »

What, now that Pokemon has used an idea, it's off limits for everybody else?

Post by Guest »

CE wrote:What, now that Pokemon has used an idea, it's off limits for everybody else?
Not really, Inuyasha had a fire horse that looked a lot like a pokemon...I’m just saying people would say they copied pokemon.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

No... no, they wouldn't. The idea of a flaming horse has been around for centuries, not to mention a turtle with water cannons on its back*! Are we going to say that everything that has a large dragon that looks like it has down syndrome** is stealing from Pokemon?

*Admittedly, that's reaching a bit.
**Dragonite, for those of you playing the home game.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

2D Sonic R. That's why it doesn't seem to have any bottomless pits (you don't even want them in a 2D title? This' really faggotry). If you found Sonic R enjoyable, then this one could be a safe buy.

That said, I'm not going to buy a PSP so to play this game, unless the story brings something interestingly idiotic like a flashback were you can see Sonic's mom giving him breast.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Tue May 16, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Zarathustra wrote:That said, I'm not going to buy a PSP so to play this game, unless the story brings something interestingly idiotic like a flashback were you can see Sonic's mom giving him breast.
Is this some sort of sick fantasy of yours?

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

I just mentioned some stuff SONICTEAM still hadn't do.