Sonic the Hedgehog preview article

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Dude, a GameCube is like a dollar now, just buy one if you want it so bad.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Seriously! For like 100 bucks you could probably nab a system and several of the better games available. Even though it doesn't have the selection of titles that the others do, there are more than enough "must haves" to justify the microscopic price tag.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Say, what are the must have Gamecube titles anyway? The only game I seem to be interested in is Tales of Symphonia. Mildly interested in Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker, but I hear they're not so awesome... I'm not really interested in the Metroid games or Resident Evil either.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Being into Resident Evil has nothing to do with whether or not anyone should own or try Resident Evil 4. It's nothing like the others, at all and is really essential for everyone to play at least once because it's without a doubt one of the best games of the last few years.

Other than that though, Paper Mario 2 is definitely a pretty cool game I'd highly recommend, Super Smash Brothers Melee as well. I guess if you're not interested in the Prime series or classic RE there aren't many must haves I can mention (or at least, exclusive ones), but for games that could be considered really good I'll also say F-Zero GX and Ikaruga are a few I definitely feel are worth checking out....and fuck it, I really liked both Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Konga and I don't give a shit what anyone says those are both highly worth playing.....Starfox Adventures isn't though.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Well, Skies of Arcadia Legends is fun if you want to play Skies all over again for a nominal price with like, three extra things. They're pretty good as things go.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Too bad I can't find the damn game anywhere near where I live...

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I'd also recommend Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Brazillian Cara

About PoR...
I've never played any Fire Emblem games. Does the game have a tutorial mode for begginers or something like that?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

I highly recommend Metroid Prime.

I wasn't really that interested in the Metroid series in general until I played Prime, but now I'm a big fan.

It's worth the low price for sure.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

About PoR...
I've never played any Fire Emblem games. Does the game have a tutorial mode for begginers or something like that?
PoR is the first Fire Emblem game I've ever played and yes it does have ample tutorials on how to play it. One word of advice though, if one of your characters dies, you either reset or continue without that character at all.

Brazillian Cara

Thanks. I'll try to remember that.
...wait a minute, they actually die for good?!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Yep. That's is the "hardcore" aspect of all FE games.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

James McGeachie wrote:Being into Resident Evil has nothing to do with whether or not anyone should own or try Resident Evil 4. It's nothing like the others, at all and is really essential for everyone to play at least once because it's without a doubt one of the best games of the last few years.
I can't stand the horror genre since I hate I being scared, but I loved RE4. It really isn't a survival horror at all. Unless you are a retard you should never run out of ammo and the game isn't terribly scary. Although that regenerator shit kinda freaked me out. You really should try it, but I guess you can get that on PS2 now anyway.

If you like racing at all I'd say F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe if you haven't played the PS2 version, Metroid Prime is quite good, I never played 2 though. Sunshine wasn't anything special, I beat it in a week or so and never touched it again, I hardly remember it so I guess it was forgettable. I do however remember some badass platforming parts, funny that those parts were when the evil Mario dude stole your water pack. Aside from Viewtiful Joe I think every single game I own for GameCube is a Nintendo franchise. Aside from games that come out on all three systems.

Dash

Post by Dash »

No love for Pikmin?=(

Regardless, I vouch for both Pikmin 1 and 2. Excellent games there.

DK:Jungle Beat is a blast, but make sure you get the Bongos with it. It's practically sin to play it without them. Konga is great too but you may only want the first one unless you're crazy about the gameplay; Konga 2 is full of pop songs. Most have already stated the other titles I would recommend.

For the record, I liked Sunshine a lot. Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion too. CONTROVERSY and such...

I'm willing to back it up with words!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I liked Wind Waker, it was a quality Zelda title, just not the best title. Luigi's Mansion was ok, but it seemed to be like it was a quickly thrown together launch title, it wasn't really bad, just average. If you want some real controversy, I liked Starfox Adventures. I thought it was a very good platformer, as long as you pretended it wasn't a Starfox game I found it quite entertaining.

The reason I have no love for Pikmin is because I never got more than a few days into that game. I couldn't stand the time limit, I didn't want to play through the game like 4 times to figure it out. I never bothered with Pikmin 2 because of that even though I heard they did away with the time limit. I heard a lot of people shun Pikmin 2 that liked 1 and vice versa, maybe I should give 2 a try.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I went through RE4 not knowing that I could actually zoom the scope on the rifle.

It would've been nice when I was trying to kill a Regenerator without getting a face full of DEATH.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I just hated the ones that had the weak spot on their backs, cause it is impossible to keep those fucks on the ground long enough to shoot them with the rifle. I found just blasting their back with a shotgun 15 times worked too though.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Never, ever, ever, ever, EVER blow off more than one leg.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What happens? I don't think I ever had enough time to properly aim when I need to shoot one down, so I'd usually just clip a leg and run past.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Light Speed wrote:I just hated the ones that had the weak spot on their backs
Dude, it's in the same spot on all of them. Just shoot through them until you figure out where it is, and then don't forget where it is.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

On professional mode, every last one of them has one on its back, not just the iron maidens. Now that is a pain in the ass.

Pro is still an amazing mode though, RE4, to me, is one of those games where increasing the difficulty just makes it that much more awesome.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I know, I played professional mode. It's still the same spot.

Dash

Post by Dash »

It only took me two runs to beat Pikmin 1, and a third one to 100% it(not really essential). It's rather short.

Wether Luigi's Mansion was quickly made or not, I don't think it feels cheap. The mansion has a lot of artistic detail in it and the gameplay, though obviously different from a Mario-ish game, is solid. May have been a bit short but I'm not sure the game would hold up for much longer than it did. I thought it was better than average at any rate.

Never got around to finishing Starfox Adventures. I liked the gameplay, situation irked me just a litte. I'm still pissed they ruined Peppy and made him too fucking old to fly Arwings. Assualt delt with it pretty well(half of that game sucked), but having Krystal as a member of StarFox feels... odd.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Just wanted to let you know that I love this avatar, PE.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Luigi's Mansion is a rather high quality game, not deep by any means but good. Wind waker is very good also, But the Metroid prime games are the best for G-cube.