Sonic the Hedgehog preview article

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The growing millions of Joe Schmoes who purchase every update of the franchise each year?

Dash

Post by Dash »

Yeah, they need to tone down that eye gloss Sonic's got going there and remove that gaudy shine the shoes have. Sonic Team, please get over your shine fetish.

And is it really is it so hard to give trees some individual leaves that have depth? The branch work seems pretty good but it's ruined by the fricking clumps of .jpeg leaves. While I'm at it, the flowers and grass really need to look more attached to the ground. Everything needs to look more organic. I kinda expect that shit from the so-called Next Generation.

HAY GUYZ I WNDER IF ATFER SONIC RUNZ HE'LL HVE SWEAT DROPS FAPFAPFAP

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Dude, ever heard of the Milestone stage of development? Comes before Alpha, and is barely playable.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Took the words right out of my...fingers, I suppose.

Dash

Post by Dash »

True. I've been seeing it happen with other next-gen games(final products) so I kinda took it out on this. I'm like...just...shutting up now.... ^^;;;

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Dash wrote:HAY GUYZ I WNDER IF ATFER SONIC RUNZ HE'LL HVE SWEAT DROPS FAPFAPFAP
Actually, that'd be pretty cool.

And yeah, Sonic looks rather fragile. But hey, hedgehog-shattering would make for a pretty interesting gimmick, wouldn't it? It would certainly explain the unnecessary ONE MILLION POLYGONS WOAHMG VISUALSHOCK SPEEDSHOCK SOUNDSHOCK NOW IS THE TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Tell you what, Sega will make a special version for you with the Sonic model from Sonic R.

Happy?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I'm sure you could get the modding community or even Spazz to whip that up for you.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Omni Hunter wrote:Tell you what, Sega will make a special version for you with the Sonic model from Sonic R.

Happy?
The model doesn't bother me, but that doesn't make it any less inefficient. Sonic had better have some serious Chuck Norris, clit-busting, puppy-kicking animations.

Also, is it even possible to replace models in Heroes as of now? I've yet to see anything interesting, just team swaps.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Spazz had screenshots of texture swaps somewhere in this forum. I don't care enough to look for them. You could ask him though.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

No, I saw his texture swap screenshots, I just didn't think it was possible to replace models in Sonic Heroes as of now.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

You can change anything in any program. You just need the know-how and patience.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it isn't currectly possible.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ngangbius wrote:The growing millions of Joe Schmoes who purchase every update of the franchise each year?
You know, some Joe Schmoes have minds that hate, so be careful.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Arcade wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:The growing millions of Joe Schmoes who purchase every update of the franchise each year?
You know, some Joe Schmoes have minds that hate, so be careful.
OMG! A threat!

A professor at my college claimed today that sarcasm is ineffective through a written medium. I disagree.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Sarcasm is even better with writting as it can't be easilly seen.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I'd say it is easier to detect through sound because the person's tone usually changes, however I don't think it is ineffective in writing if used effectively.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

It's not ineffective as long as it's effective? Tell me more about this compelling new theory of yours.

See? Sarcasm.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It's cultural. I doubt I'd be able to detect sarcasm in spanish even if I understood the words. Likewise in writing we have different cultures or styles, as can be seen when people from GameFAQs come here and don't realize they're being made fun of for the first few days.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Frieza2000 wrote:Likewise in writing we have different cultures or styles, as can be seen when people from GameFAQs come here and don't realize they're being made fun of for the first few days.
I think that's less internets culture differences and more stupidity.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

1.21 JIGOWATTS/GIGAWATTS/JIGAWATTS

Post by Guest »

Hi there, everyone!

Regarding the topic, I think making a game nowadays is probably hard like hell. Let's see, about 15 to 20 years ago, you could do relatively fresh-looking and/or feeling games, and even sequels, in 1 or 2 years of development; if you try it now, you get plain shit or (in the supposed case you're ~God~ Co. Ltd.) you could still get a fine game.
Since S&K, the 2D world of Sonic games was utterly squished up to the last drop of the Mega Drive's capacity, but hasn't reached it's theoretical limit (if it's any...) with some other -obviously, more powerful- platform.
Sonic still has a vendetta for the 3D realm. You have impact, you have empathy, but if you've got no programming or designing skills, the game'll most probably suck, i.e. will be a "broken platformer".

Sonic Adventure had it in feeling and spirit in some ways, trying to expand the universe of Sonic and co.'s movement and the sensations you feel when playing (almost as NiGHTS did), but fails in trying to implement some other game mechanics -almost genres per se- and the oh-so-excruciating programming (bad cameras, bad collision detection, glitches and so on); and guess what? IT WAS RUSHED OUT! For what?? FOR EVIL XMAS SEASON!! As I see it, it was probably the same thing with SA2 and the 10th Anniversary thing, but also failed in trying to "twist" the spirit of the Sonic games so far, doing it so dramatical and realistic (okay, I admit it, Station Square's destruction in SA wasn't precisely Disneyworld, but it had the impact and feeling I was talking earlier... that reminds me, VIVA KINGDOM HEARTS!! >_<); Sonic Heroes had just TOO MANY PATHETIC moments compared to almost every prior canon Sonic game; and Shadow the Hedgehog had the all-feared "guns+furry=BIG AMERICAN BUCK$" formula on it (I admit it, the developing of Shadow's story seems well for me, but not in a game... not this game), and also the camera / collision/ stage design stitch PLUS the new "no-auto-homing-for-guns-lol" one.

Finally, where I'm trying to get is that transplanting a 2D game's formula to a 3D reality is always hard, but if you do it well (sadly, Super Mario 64 comes to mind), all that's left is to get the game's spirit right as it's supposed to be. For example, some of the GamePro screenshots remind me of Sonic CD, and even Sonic X-treme... and even a fully 3D version of NiGHTS, so if we consider the fact that they're using third party software development tools for physics and others (there can't be any mistakes in these departments this time...), the people at Sonic Team just need to stick it some brilliant BGM, good voice-acting (I don't expect any Psychonauts here, but who knows) and a world that REALLY resembles that of a 2D classical SONIC the Hedgehog game in look and feel (no stupid characters, no stupid story)...... believe me, it just simply CAN'T be a broken platformer.

On a side note, I would really like a little changing in Sonic's appearance, like the discarded fur and individual spine effects, and the refllections don't bother me, but it's just personal taste... And, seriously, I don't think it can be possible to surpass the speed sensation of "Burnout Revenge"; for all of you who hadn't, PLAY IT!!

NOTE: Forgive my english, I'm Argentine.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Ha, guess what, I forgot to introduce myself properly. My real name is Emmanuel Fernández Noguera, and I've previously molested Sir Gibbon the Green with stupid, plain-lame junk email. Nice to meet ya all!

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Feather dusters under my eyeballs. Lizards frighten the eggsac! Gulf War hypoxia!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Whassamatta you, eh?