Yuda Riders Interview

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Yuda Riders Interview

Post by big_smile »

Yuda Riders Interview
:FUS: Takashi Yuda speaks to Gamespy

Takashi Yuda recently spoke to Gamespy about his forthcoming game Sonic Riders. Gamespy were quite keen to uncover if there was relationship between Riders and previous Sonic racer Sonic R, but according to Yuda the only connection is that both games belong to the same genre.

The father of Knuckles does, however, reveal that he would like to create a new line of Sonic racing games and, echoing his comments in a previous Kikzo interview, he teases that he has some surprises planned for the future.

Yuda also briefly talks about the creation of Knuckles and explains Sonic Team’s views on Sonic spin-offs and new characters.

Part one of the interview can be found here, while the second installment is located here.

In other Riders news, Gamer Graffix Worldwide are producing a Gamecube skin to commemorate the game. The item will be released in the US on 1st March. More details can be found at Gamestop.

^ The skin features the principle members of the Riders cast.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Man, they're <a href="http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps2/image/a ... 4.jpg">not even trying</a>.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

GameSpy: Sonic Rush for Nintendo DS is an outstanding return to classic 2D Sonic gameplay. Are the chances of seeing a new 2D Sonic game on a console system as low as we're afraid they are?

Takashi Yuda: I think 2D Sonic titles will still be created in the future. Now whether they make it to consoles…that I can't say for sure.
"You can't say for sure"? I would love to see a game like Sonic Rush for consoles. It pisses me off how 2D gaming is restricted to handhelds these days. When will the industry learn that 2D does not mean "outdated" and that 3D is not anymore refined than 2D? Don't get me wrong, I love expansive fields and high polygon count, but we discovered 3D gaming roughly ten years ago and we still act like we just discovered it. Just look at the technology we have today; we could use it solely for making 3D games, but has anyone considered making a full blown 2D game with high-resolution sprites, fluid physics, and a trillion levels? Okay, there are games like Viewtiful Joe, but that's not really "full blown" 2D. It's 3D on a 2D plane. I am talking about games that are 2D everywhere, with maybe a few polygonal elements here and there ala Dynamite Headdy. Sonic would be a perfect candidate for that.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

If it works for Metal Slug...

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I miss 2D games with 2D graphics.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

j-man wrote:If it works for Metal Slug...
True, that kicks ass, still to this day. I've always wondered how much bigger a world similar in graphics to A Link To The Past would be on the current platforms. That would be fucking epic.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Kishi wrote:Man, they're <a href="http://ps2media.gamespy.com/ps2/image/a ... 4.jpg">not even trying</a>.
Ew. Pixelation. I hope that's the PlayStation2 version playing.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I've noticed the DS style unfiltered textures in a few screens, but they've been fine in others. Unless sites have been mixing together screens from different versions in the same galleries (which wouldn't surprise me because they generally have the exact same shots in the galleries for all versions of games anyway) they're not PS2 specific I don't think and more likely are to keep the framerate up in the more graphically intense areas, working with the idea that since the game moves so fast, you'll hardly notice.

I assume if this is the case though it's because the basic framework of the game was built with the PS2 in mind and they were lazy wiith enhancing the other versions. Hopefully I'm entirely wrong (which I probably am) and the pixelation is PS2 only though.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Or maybe they're developing a DS version. RUB YOUR FINGER QUICKLY AND RHYTHMICALLY

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Kishi wrote:RUB YOUR FINGER QUICKLY AND RHYTHMICALLY

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Sonic approves of the fapping?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

CONGRATULATION!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

James McGeachie wrote:I assume if this is the case though it's because the basic framework of the game was built with the PS2 in mind and they were lazy wiith enhancing the other versions. Hopefully I'm entirely wrong (which I probably am) and the pixelation is PS2 only though.
Even the X-BOX version of Sonic Heroes had pixelation, and that's considered the "best looking" of the three versions.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

360 wins!

Dash

Post by Dash »

You never fail to confuse me SegaSonic.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Ditto'd, one moment he's praising the 360, the next, it's like he got raped by it.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Wouldn't he be able to rectum-whip us, then? I mean, the XBox is HUEG