More Sonic spin-offs and 2D games

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Oshima was just a part of the puzzle, You take him out..the puzzle crumbles.

Hes not doing so well because face it, He was born to make Sonic games. trying to create something as good is difficult.

I figure Oshima was the one who kept Sonic's spirit, if you play SA1 you see that The old atmosphere is present. By he leaving, SonicTeam Morons took over and started changing Sonic to their own liking. Like removing Sonic's Jump sound and changing his attitude into childlish junk. Oshima was the one who kept Sonic for Everyone, Now its either for kids or Older people (shadow Game, which was a failed attempt to attract mature gamers)

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Ohshima doesn't direct games anymore, as he has been promoted to producer at Artoon. So yeah, he doesn't do anything these days.

Nova

Post by Nova »

firemario1001 wrote:Ohshima doesn't direct games anymore, as he has been promoted to producer at Artoon. So yeah, he doesn't do anything these days.
what are producers suposed to do?

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Oshima didn't really do anything except assist with CG cutscenes in Sonic Adventure. HE didn't have anything to do with Sonic 2 or 3/Knuckles. He just designed Sonic the character, directed Sonic Cd, and assisted with some scenes.
That's all.

Also, SegaSonic, please go away.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Plorpus III wrote:Oshima didn't really do anything except assist with CG cutscenes in Sonic Adventure. HE didn't have anything to do with Sonic 2 or 3/Knuckles. He just designed Sonic the character, directed Sonic Cd, and assisted with some scenes.
That's all.

Also, SegaSonic, please go away.
We know Naka didn’t have anything to do with characters personalities, the dialogues and the script, so...Takashi Iizuka still works at Sega?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Dash wrote:Toriyama's DQVIII work is his best in quite a while IMO.

Esrever wrote:Ohshima's a great character designer, but I don't think that's really the weak part of the current crop of games anyhow.

Oh, I never meant to call that into question. His character designs are still pretty slick, but assuming he had any authority over game design... Well, Artoons' games have been interesting but seem unpolished/unorginized somehow.
Here's a wacky coincidence. Artoon is co-developing Mist Walker's Xbox 360 game Blue Dragon, and the game's character designer is Akira Toriyama.

Moving on.

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

firemario1001 wrote:Ohshima doesn't direct games anymore, as he has been promoted to producer at Artoon. So yeah, he doesn't do anything these days.
I was doing some research while talking to G. Silver last night, and I can pretty much confirm this. Although, as Ohshima is the CEO President of Artoon now, one would think it less of a "promotion", and more of "him choosing what he wants to do". He could definitely direct again, I think. I hope, anyway.

The craziest thing I found out was that Ohshima acted as producer on "Yoshi Topsy Turvy" (a GBA game). The designer of Sonic working on a Mario spin-off. It's a mad, mad, mad world.
Nova wrote:what are producers suposed to do?
Well, that, coupled with his President position, means that he's in the exact same job as the "evil" Naka. So, you and Segasonic can start hating Ohshima as well. Please stop liking my designing/directing hero. Please?
Plorpus III wrote:Oshima didn't really do anything except assist with CG cutscenes in Sonic Adventure. HE didn't have anything to do with Sonic 2 or 3/Knuckles. He just designed Sonic the character, directed Sonic Cd, and assisted with some scenes.
That's all.
You're undermining his role overall here slightly. While all these facts are techinically true, Ohshima (and Naka) had a lot of supervising power, meaning that most descisions about every proper game, spin off or major piece of merchendise were run through him, meaning that he did shape the image of the Sonic universe between 1991 - 1997.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

So why did he let a piece of crap like Knuckles Chaotix happen then?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Crap is in the eye of the beholder.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Who developed Yoshi Topsy Turvy and why was it such crap?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Because you touch yourself at night!

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

It smells good!

YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING DID YOU

Nova

Post by Nova »

firemario1001 wrote:So why did he let a piece of crap like Knuckles Chaotix happen then?
Chaotic was supposed to be a game with Sonic, but they changed it for Knuckles (That why one of the Chaotic is very similar to Sonic in moves and that). Besides the Sega CD was a nightmare when it comes to making games for it, why do you think Sonic CD took so long? It was supposed to be released before Sonic 2 or at least some months after.

So I guess a combination of lack of time plus Sonic removal is what screwed Chaotic.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

You're aware Chaotix was a 32X game, right?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

James McGeachie wrote:You're aware Chaotix was a 32X game, right?
i don't think nova is aware of a lot of things, james

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Nova wrote:
firemario1001 wrote:So why did he let a piece of crap like Knuckles Chaotix happen then?
Chaotic was supposed to be a game with Sonic, but they changed it for Knuckles (That why one of the Chaotic is very similar to Sonic in moves and that). Besides the Sega CD was a nightmare when it comes to making games for it, why do you think Sonic CD took so long? It was supposed to be released before Sonic 2 or at least some months after.

So I guess a combination of lack of time plus Sonic removal is what screwed Chaotic.
Removal Of Sonic? What did Sonic had that all the characters in Chaotix didnt? You had Mighty if what you needed was Sonic's gameplay.

Seriously Chaotix was an awesome game! if you hate it because of the cord then youre stupid.
Last edited by SegaSonic on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

SegaSonic wrote:
Nova wrote:

Removal Of Sonic? what did Sonic had that all the characters in Chaotix didnt?
a game that sold more than 5 copies

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Chaotix didnt sell well because you had to buy a 32X..also the 32X was a buggy system. Not to mention all the New Systems and stuff that was coming out. not many cared about the Genesis anymore.

Regardless of that, I loved the consept and story Of Chaotix, So I bought it and enjoyed it, So much that its my favorite game alongside Sonic CD.

The levels and Music were well worth it alone, But it was a game that had many inovations and surprizes along the way! also the Character designs rocked!

The change from Morning to Daytime to sunset to Nighttime was Awesome and fun to watch.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

PWB, have I ever told you that your lack of punctuation is oddly arousing? Because it totally is.

...the same cannot be said for Nova or Segasonic.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

SegaSonic wrote:Seriously Chaotix was an awesome game! if you hate it because of the cord then youre stupid.
Yeah, there's no reason to hate a game over something as inconsequential as its central gameplay mechanic.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Locit wrote:PWB, have I ever told you that your lack of punctuation is oddly arousing? Because it totally is.

...the same cannot be said for Nova or Segasonic.
while i may not utilize punctuation i at least have a somewhat extensive knowledge of it

nova and segasonic probably couldn't pick an apostrophe out of a line-up

let alone use it correctly in a sentence

also i have class which i feel compelled to point out couldn't be spelled without ASS

Nova

Post by Nova »

plasticwingsband wrote:
You mean the Sega system you had to plug in the Sega genesis and worked with CDs? Sega CD!. Really no one I know called it 32X….maybe because they didn’t it sell it here and all we knew about it was that it used CDs. And in a totally unrelated topic, almost no one had a original Nes, most had a Nes clone and we called them “Familyâ€￾…
SegaSonic wrote:
Nova wrote:

Removal Of Sonic? What did Sonic had that all the characters in Chaotix didnt? You had Mighty if what you needed was Sonic's gameplay.

Seriously Chaotix was an awesome game! if you hate it because of the cord then youre stupid.
Popularity...Sonic name sells!

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Nova wrote:
plasticwingsband wrote:
You mean the Sega system you had to plug in the Sega genesis and worked with CDs? Sega CD!. Really no one I know called it 32X….

HURFGHAGURFGH you have got to be some sort of outlandish gimmick, I am refusing to believe this is even possible. I think I'll refrain from ever even attempting to debate something with you from now on.

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

This thread is beginning to make my head hurt. Segasonic and Nova need to stop posting for a while and then sit in the naughty corner.
I'll have a go and try defending this game after Nova and Segasonic verbally vomitted all over it. To say Chaotix (NOT Choatic, Nova) was a bad game is a tad unfair. Overall, Chaotix had a very nice fantasy-ish style of art and character design, harking back to Sonic CD's surrealism. Also, take the music, again, very Sonic CD-esque. Had the gameplay been at all good, Chaotix could have definitely become the cult sequel to Sonic CD.

In my mind, anyway.