Shorts - New StH photos · Sonic Kart 3DX · SDirect tie-ins

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Shorts - New StH photos · Sonic Kart 3DX · SDirect tie-ins

Post by big_smile »

New Sonic the Hedgehog pictures
:FJ: Eight New pictures added to official site

Sonic Team have added eight new pictures to the official Sonic the Hedgehog website. Each of the pictures are in a high resolution format and depict scenes from the previously released trailer movies.

New Café racing game
:FJ: ’3D’ racing title added to the Sonic Café service

Those disappointed by the realistic art direction of Sonic the Hedgehog may be vaguely interested in this month’s Sonic Café release. Titled Sonic Kart 3DX, the game is a ‘3D’ update of previous café game Sonic Kart. Despite its extra dimension, the race tracks are based on the zones of the early Sonic games and are rendered with a Mega Drive/Game Gear style appearance.

Image Image Image

More information can be found at the Sonic Café home page.

Sonic Rush Director Column
:FJ: Rush and Shadow tie ins from Sega Direct

Akinori Nishiyama, director of Sonic Rush, has started writing a regular column for Sega Direct. Similar to Yojiro Ogawa’s former Sonic Gems column, Nishiyama discusses both the game and the exclusive merchandise that Sega Direct has produced to commemorate its release.

The first two columns have already been published and feature added commentary from Yuji Uekawa. Very little of the text translates clearly, although it mostly discusses the design of the Sonic Rush wrist strap. Retailing for 2000 yen, the slightly over-priced item will only be available from Sega Direct.

^ The design is based on the colour schemes of Sonic and Blaze.

Sega Direct will also be supplying a Shadow sticker with all pre-orders of Shadow the Hedgehog. The order page, which can found here, explains the meaning behind the mysterious icon in the game’s logo.

^ Apparently the spiky symbol is inspired by tattoos that are popular among the people of Borneo, an island in South Asia.

Japanese GBA combo packs
:FJ: Japanese GBA combo packs feature alternate games

As reported previously on the GHZ Newsboard, Sega will be releasing a number of Sonic Advance combo packs for the GBA. The packs are also headed to Japan, albeit with slightly different contents. Japanese gamers will have a choice of Sonic Advance & Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Advance & Sonic Battle and Sonic Battle & Sonic Pinball Party. Logos and box art can be found by clicking on the provided links.

^ This unused scene appears on the Sonic Advance & Sonic Battle page.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Apparently the spiky symbol is inspired by tattoos that are popular among the people of Borneo, an island in South Asia.
Let's throw in references to RANDOM CULTURES! People will think we're intelligent!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Re: Shorts - New StH photos · Sonic Kart 3DX · SDirect tie

Post by Segaholic2 »

big_smile wrote:Sonic Team have added eight new pictures to the official Sonic the Hedgehog website. Each of the pictures are in a high resolution format and depict scenes from the previously released trailer movies.
Hello, new wallpapers!

Now when are we going to get that video in that resolution?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Gamespot have had an HD version of the E3 trailer for ages, fool.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Those robots still suck. An indication of where this new game is going, methinks. Realism and all.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Cheer up.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I really don't think that's the major concern.

CM August

Post by CM August »

The major concern being gameplay, right? Yeah, I know.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Don't make me slap you with my dick, because I will do it.

CM August

Post by CM August »

:(

Nova

Post by Nova »

They finally relesed one whith Chu Chu Rocket...yeah!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wonder why they don't compile all the Sonic Cafe games onto a GBA collection? Seems like something they're wont to do. "Sonic Mini-Game Compilation Gems Collection".

CM August

Post by CM August »

The first Sonic compilation I saw was titled "Sonic Compilation." It was pretty cool.

I don't know about the Sonic Cafe games, though. Aren't they kind of... lame?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Has that ever stopped them?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Dickslapping ahoy...
I imagine that sometime in the future the Sonic Cafe games will be available on some other media. Sega have a habit of milking out games on numerous consoles these days.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So is "15th Anniversary Sonic the Hedgehog" a kind of semi-official title for the game now?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Zeta wrote:I wonder why they don't compile all the Sonic Cafe games onto a GBA collection? Seems like something they're wont to do. "Sonic Mini-Game Compilation Gems Collection".
I'm not sure exactly how the Sonic Café games work, but I think a monthly fee is required to access the service or players have to pay a small fee each time they download a title. If the games were released on GBA, then it would lower the profits of the Café service.

Plus, to be fair to Sonic Team, most of their past collections have contained at least a few playable games. The Café games are very simple and are only designed for short play sessions. Most of the challenge comes from trying to earn a place on the online national score board which would be hard to replicate with a Gameboy.

^_^

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Frieza2000 wrote:
Apparently the spiky symbol is inspired by tattoos that are popular among the people of Borneo, an island in South Asia.
Let's throw in references to RANDOM CULTURES! People will think we're intelligent!
More then likely they saw the tattoos, thought they were stylish and wanted to incorporate them into the game somehow. Now it's possible they wanted to impress by explaining the origin of the symbols, but the use itself is probably because it looks "dark and mysterious" or something.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I know, I'm just GHZing. But I thought they'd at least give those crazy designs some in-game meaning like making them the language of the Black Arms or something.
big_smile wrote:The Café games are very simple and are only designed for short play sessions. Most of the challenge comes from trying to earn a place on the online national score board which would be hard to replicate with a Gameboy.
Nintendo has released Game & Watch collections before. There's much more of those and they probably added some secret unlockables to the game to make it more interesting, but it amounts to a high-scoreathon.

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

Is it just me or does that first line read (out loud) "I'm just jizzing?"

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Mode 7 scaling! Woooooooooooooooooo!
Not really, though.

j-man