Sonic the Hedgehog (nextgen) media

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Check on the open forum, I heard someone just started a topic about the same subject.

CM August

Post by CM August »

All condescension and disagreement aside, I'd really like to know what you feel is the essence of Sonic. What was your first Sonic game, and your favorite? What version of the characters' personalities do you like best (tv shows, comics, adventure games, old manuals)? I'm curious.
Interesting question, really. I enjoy a good deal of the ridiculous amount of Sonic continuities. And they all have both subtle and dramatic variations of the formula. For me, I couldn't say what the "essence" of Sonic is. Perhaps it's a simple formula from which countless variations can be made, each having the ability to be vastly different in their own right while still keeping that "essence".

Or I could be lazy and say "the Sonic from the main Genesis titles".

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

CM August wrote:Or I could be lazy and say "the Sonic from the main Genesis titles".
That particular version is so completely ambiguous, though. Every person who plays the games will get a different experience from it and probably create their own little personalities for all the characters based on their appearance and those few scripted movement cut scenes. In such an open game with no dialogue, what the player brings to the game affects the experience almost as much as the game itself.

Now if you said the Sonic of the American manuals or something, that's at least a bit defined. But I don't expect anybody to subscribe strictly to one version. I think most people create their own 'essence of Sonic' based on the amalgamation of their early experiences with him and whatever styles and continuities they most prefer.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Yeah. If nothing else, that ambiguity is what made it such a good template for the countless variations I spoke of. It's pretty much the source material, which makes it so important. Really though, I can't just pick out which is the ultimate in Sonic...ness.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Exactly. And, if PSMad intends to answer my question, that's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking him to describe what Sonic is, not necessarily pick one version and agree with everything about it. Those other questions were just a sort of guideline.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Look Sonic Heroes was a playable game. I think the problem was is that it was a playable game that nobody really wanted, factor in some more cheap deaths and you have a game that everyone "hates." I don't hate it. I just think that the concept sucked and they should have stuck with something more like SA/2.

In Heros' defense the art style of the levels and Eggman's enemies were more in tune with Sonic's roots.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Don't forget that crappy enemy health system.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Which goes hand in hand with that level-up nonsense.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

My first Sonic game was Sonic 1 for the Master System, I rented it for a week then sold my system for a Mega Drive with Sonic 1. It was all I needed to become a massive fan.

I’ll always remember Sonic the most fondly before he uttered a single word. His actions spoke louder. He was possibly cooler and had more attitude, unlike the forced ‘coolness’ of the cartoons and later games. His friendship with Tails was explained in the manual but seeing it played out in the game you felt it... After following Sonic everywhere, Tails almost getting killed in the bi-plane still remains one of the most touching scenes in the whole series. (Next to Knuckles finally helping Sonic to Sky Sanctuary after Eggman betrayed him).

What do I think is the essence of a Sonic game? Speed is a big factor but not the only one. Sonic has always been fast but the speed increase from the 1st to 2nd is immense. You could try to run through the levels without stopping for breath but still be navigating obstacles, killing bad guys and looking cool at speed. Back then the speed was breathtaking, Sonic moving faster than the screen could move at times.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned on this board a while back but the Genesis games were good at speeding you through the rollercoaster parts and slowing you down to tackle obstacles… something the Advance series doesn’t do, feeding you directly into the path of spikes forcing you to slow.

I also miss my bosses. It was a treat getting to the end of a level not just because of the accomplishment but also to see what crazy gadget Eggman would attach to the Egg Mobile and try to destroy you with next. You’d be willing his creations to be bigger and better than the next, cursing when you died and yelping with glee in victory. The Only 3D Sonic boss that’s come close to that was the Egg Viper.

Sonic Adventures action stages were good but too small. SA2’s actions stages were ok but there weren’t enough. Shadows don’t even count in my head because… well, it wasn’t the same! The Egyptian level as Sonic sticks in my memory a being the most fun. Heroes was full of action stages which I loved. It also brought the Triple Threat back together and I loved not having to worry about shooting, hunting or fishing.

I enjoyed heroes because it was a purer experience in my head. It reminded me the most of how thing used to be. I could put up with the team play but can’t wait for Sonic on his own again

I’m going to stop myself typing here or else this long post will be even bigger.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I agree with almost everything there PSMad. And I'm surprised about it.

Yep, I think Sonic's first step into what he is now was when he first spoke on Sonic Adventure. I don't know... I guess I've always had that voice from the old 1992 advertisment ("Say Sega! Sega! Sega!"), where he had a voice closer do Mickey Mouse's.

But since the begining they say that "Sonic's got the atitude", so I really don't know anymore. I wish he had shorter legs in these new games, something closer to the Sonic 1 cover... But I don't see that happening, because Yuji Naka always said that their idea was to make a "cool" character. I prefer a lot more Naoto Ohshima's Sonic, from the Sonic CD movies. I think that in the opening video and the ending videos Sonic's personality is nicely done. He defeats Eggman and has a lot of fun doing it, like when he waves to a badnik before obliterating it. That, is cool.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Maybe it's just a Japanese definition of "cool", but I absolutely hate how Sonic is potrayed in Japanese anime. Too layed back, stuck up and stuff. Not cool in our culture. He fared much better in the American cartoons.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

That was actually a reasonable and thought out opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

It may not be reasonable, but it is an opinion.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Opinions are like assholes.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

That's deep, man.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

The second line to that old axiom reads "...everybody's got them" or something, which I suppose you can't really argue with, but to me it seems a bit like saying something as revelatory as "The sky is blue" or "Only faggots like Utada Hikaru".

CM August

Post by CM August »

Ah, but then there's the final part of the axiom, "... and nobody wants to admit theirs stinks."

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I openly admit that my asshole is no bed of roses.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

If anybody wants to take a look, Kikizo have posted 2 'new' videos of Sonic The Hedgehog in action. It's nothing we haven't seen already but it's the best quality I've seen the trailer and the real time demo is shown in what I guess is it's entirety. I'm more certain than ever that level was thrown together to show things off and only elements of it will remain in the final game.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

one thing I'm sick of in sonic is grinding. it's basically running but you don't control it as much. Also how come every new sonic game they always make a remake of green hill zone? why not a remake of starlight zone or stardust speedway (personally I love those sparkliy courses).

One thing I'm wonder though is since they got new hardware and more memory and junk shouldn't they be able to make less bottomless pits?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Majestic Joey wrote:One thing I'm wonder though is since they got new hardware and more memory and junk shouldn't they be able to make less bottomless pits?
Hardware limitations are irrelevant in this matter. Just chalk it up to poor level design.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Majestic Joey wrote:one thing I'm sick of in sonic is grinding. it's basically running but you don't control it as much. Also how come every new sonic game they always make a remake of green hill zone? why not a remake of starlight zone or stardust speedway (personally I love those sparkliy courses).

One thing I'm wonder though is since they got new hardware and more memory and junk shouldn't they be able to make less bottomless pits?
Yeah, they could stop pretending and just bring the Green hill zone back…

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Sonic Central have produced an English language version of the Japanese Sonic the Hedgehog site. It promises that new game will have a "deeper story line than ever before".

I hope the 'real world theme' isn't an indication that the story will revolve around Sonic being transported from his world into our world.

^_^

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

I wonder if that means they actually hired writers this time.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

<laughs>