Shorts - Next Gen Sonic Name · TGS Gifts · X-treme Demo

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I was looking forward to SoniXtreme, S0nic Zero and Sonic Heroes 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

"Sonic Alpha: Return to the Green Hill Zone"

CM August

Post by CM August »

I would likely be a lot more excited if the game FUCKING LOOKED LIKE Sonic The Hedgehog. How can it return to Sonic's roots if half of what it used to be is still in the trash can? The music, the robots, the landscape - this is more like running in place than a step forward of backward.

Spacious, open environments for the win, though.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

CM August wrote:Spacious, open environments for the win, though.
We'll see. So far it looks much more promising than anything in the last 4 years, but I just can't bring myself to be hopeful. Sonic Team's attitude hasn't changed and like CM said, the game's feeling, it's aura, what made the series so special in the first place, still doesn't look like it'll be there. In any case, I think this game is where to draw the line; if they're seriously trying (especially if Naoto Ohshima is involved) and it still doesn't work, I doubt it ever will. It may be true that there were 4 years between S&K and SA1, but at that point the series still had a soul.

So, no confirmation of Ohshima yet?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

CM August wrote:How can it return to Sonic's roots if half of what it used to be is still in the trash can?
Probably because they are just spouting BS. How can they be both "reinventing Sonic" and "going back to Sonic's roots" at the same time? It's contradictory. It will be different, and yet the same! Old, yet new! Excitingly innovative, yet comfortably familiar! It's everything you could want in a Sonic game! How can you not be excited?

CM August

Post by CM August »

Bullshit is all well and good, but they should just call it for what it is: a replacement.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Going back to their roots probably means making only Sonic playable or the old level progression or something like that, while reinventing refers to a new way of implementing Sonic in 3d. Or marketing BS, whichever.

ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Esrever wrote:It's funny, though. By being the first to adopt the console numbering system, Sony has basically prevented any other company from ever doing the same. With the PS3 already on the horizon, it's basically impossible for any other company to catch up numerically, and none would ever consider a name that was numerically lower than Sony's console.
That's unless SEGA unveils a Genesis 4.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Frieza2000 wrote:
CM August wrote:Spacious, open environments for the win, though.
We'll see. So far it looks much more promising than anything in the last 4 years, but I just can't bring myself to be hopeful. Sonic Team's attitude hasn't changed and like CM said, the game's feeling, it's aura, what made the series so special in the first place, still doesn't look like it'll be there. In any case, I think this game is where to draw the line; if they're seriously trying (especially if Naoto Ohshima is involved) and it still doesn't work, I doubt it ever will. It may be true that there were 4 years between S&K and SA1, but at that point the series still had a soul.

So, no confirmation of Ohshima yet?
Not as long Naka lives...

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Summary of 80% of Nova's posts:
BLAH BLAH BLAH INCOHERENCE BLAH SPELLING ERRORS BLAH BLAH NAKA HATE

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

SLOW FREAKING DRAGON

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

In Japan when politions run for re-election, whenever they say, "reform," the crowds cheer and go mad. Even the most conservative party uses it to get elected. So I would assume Sonic Team is using a simular approach. In reality they're probably trying to say that it will be more old school than traditional.
Last edited by gr4yJ4Y on Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Summary of 80% of Nova's posts:
If you know someone else to blame from Sonic downfall after Sonic Adventure, tell me. Besides Naka was the dude who destroyed Sega of America, that was very ungrateful if you think that Sega of America was the one who rehired him(After he left Sega of Japan because he didn’t get a raise and more money).

Besides, the guy was only good as a programmer, and he haven’t programmed anything is years.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Am I the only one who cares about this whole X-Treme thing? Oh, and speaking of which, some guy is apparently going to buy the thing and distribute it throughout the community. That is, he's making copies/selling them for $40 a pop, whilst SWS2B's tech members get it for free. Which, of course, means that the ISO will eventually get leaked sooner or later. We've been waiting... What, 7, 8 years for the chance to play this thing?

Only problem is that I don't have a Saturn swap disc, so I can only pray that it can be emulated properly. Cassini runs NiGHTS just fine, isn't X-Treme built on the same engine? Now that I think about it, wasn't it cancelled because SOJ wouldn't hand over the NiGHTS engine in the first place?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Nova wrote:
If you know someone else to blame from Sonic downfall after Sonic Adventure, tell me. Besides Naka was the dude who destroyed Sega of America, that was very ungrateful if you think that Sega of America was the one who rehired him(After he left Sega of Japan because he didn’t get a raise and more money).

Besides, the guy was only good as a programmer, and he haven’t programmed anything is years.
You spelled ungrateful correctly. WAY2GOMAN

One man does not cause the entire fall of a large company, and Sonic Adventure 2 is a decent game, even if you get to play as Sonic 4 times throughout.

Psychobob2

Post by Psychobob2 »

Ritz wrote: Only problem is that I don't have a Saturn swap disc, so I can only pray that it can be emulated properly. Cassini runs NiGHTS just fine, isn't X-Treme built on the same engine?
Well technically the demo (for sale) was created before the NiGHTS engine was obtained, and even then nothing is known of the NiGHTS vershion since Yuji pulled the plug.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Hm... I think there's a huge misunderstanding here. Ohshima is only metioned in that paragraph because he, along with Yuji Naka, created Sonic in 1991, and not because they are toghether again like a couple of nice ol' buddies!

I don't know, I got it when I read it for the third time. Unless there's some saying about this somewhere else, I believe Ohshima has absolutely nothing to do with this Sonic the Thingmajabob game.

LocalH

Post by LocalH »

Ritz wrote:Am I the only one who cares about this whole X-Treme thing? Oh, and speaking of which, some guy is apparently going to buy the thing and distribute it throughout the community. That is, he's making copies/selling them for $40 a pop, whilst SWS2B's tech members get it for free. Which, of course, means that the ISO will eventually get leaked sooner or later. We've been waiting... What, 7, 8 years for the chance to play this thing?

Only problem is that I don't have a Saturn swap disc, so I can only pray that it can be emulated properly. Cassini runs NiGHTS just fine, isn't X-Treme built on the same engine? Now that I think about it, wasn't it cancelled because SOJ wouldn't hand over the NiGHTS engine in the first place?
Yeah, that turned into a huge debacle, and suffice it to say, ratman was a fraud, the collector got the disc for $2500, so no likely chance for a BIN/CUE to hit the net. The collector does have some good video equipment, as I hear it, and so we will at least get some good, high-quality video of Xtreme.

If you want to read exactly what happened, look at this SHIT article.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I cast a weary expression over whoever is pathetic enough to find that site's name funny (this, obviously, includes the sitemakers themselves). Look, the acronym spells SHIT and we've got a .gif of Sonic on a toilet! Hilarious!

LocalH

Post by LocalH »

The name "Sonic the Hedgehog Information Treasury" was my idea, thank you very much =P

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

FUNI

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

j-man wrote:I cast a weary expression over whoever is pathetic enough to find that site's name funny (this, obviously, includes the sitemakers themselves). Look, the acronym spells SHIT and we've got a .gif of Sonic on a toilet! Hilarious!
YOU HAVE ALREADY FAILED THE TEST!!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

LocalH wrote:Yeah, that turned into a huge debacle, and suffice it to say, ratman was a fraud, the collector got the disc for $2500, so no likely chance for a BIN/CUE to hit the net. The collector does have some good video equipment, as I hear it, and so we will at least get some good, high-quality video of Xtreme.

If you want to read exactly what happened, look at this SHIT article.
Whoops, I slit my cock pretty good this time.

Seriously, go get me some duct tape.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Looks like we've got some real geniuses over at the SWS2B community. I can see why they need that entrance test now.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
Nova wrote:

You spelled ungrateful correctly. WAY2GOMAN

One man does not cause the entire fall of a large company, and Sonic Adventure 2 is a decent game, even if you get to play as Sonic 4 times throughout.
Te quiero ver a ti escribir en español correctamente...

Se que un solo hombre no causa la caída de toda una compañía, en general. Pero me refería a que Sonic se ha ido para el carajo sin Oshima. Sonic Adventure 2 no es un mal juego, pero es como una beta, tiene muchos errores para considerarlo un juego completo.