Ladies and Gentlemen, Sonic the Hedgehog is Reborn!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Alright, that's it. I'm sorry, but I must ask, what's everyone's problem with Sonic Adventure 2?
This subject has been beaten more times than Del's penis. Basically, most people didn't like the story or the shooting or hunting stages. I agree with you, though. It's by no means a perfect game, but I think it's superior to SA1 in many ways.
Oh, and don't say "linear level design". As I recall, everyone I talk to likes Final Rush/Chase, which are possibly the most linear levels in the game.
Actually, I'd say Final Rush is by far the least linear. There's lots of opportunities to drop from high areas and land on lower segments of the stage, and many branching rail routes. Several shortcuts immediately spring to mind, like that one extra-long rail that skips like 25% of the stage. Did you just not look around or something?

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Well, when you guys mention "linear", I was thinking of the lack of wide-open platforms or fields like what you would find in the Jak and Daxter games. I guess I got the wrong interpretation. Sorry I freaked. I know Sonic Adventure 2 wasn't perfect, but every messageboard I go to everyone's been treating it like it was a disaster of Sonic Heroes proportions.

So, yeah, anyway, Sonic Next. I know I haven't been paying attention, but is there a movie of the game yet, besides that 360 tech-demo thing?

Neon Chaos

Post by Neon Chaos »

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Professor Machenstein wrote:
So, yeah, anyway, Sonic Next. I know I haven't been paying attention, but is there a movie of the game yet, besides that 360 tech-demo thing?
No. These 'new' screens are actually just captures from the tech-demo.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've got the same concerns as Pop. We don't know in what sense the tech demo is representative of the new game. Worst case scenario, it's only indicitive of how impressive the graphics will look. We have no idea if they're going to stick with this same visual style or these same character designs. And because it's only a cut scene, we have no way of knowing if the big, open environment on display here is reflective of the level design.

I mean, they are calling it a "reinvention", and it doesn't sound like Isuzuki is involved. And Oshima is possibly onbard! So I'm not saying there is no hope. But at the same time, a cut scene like this could just as easily have appeared in a nextgen-enchanced version of Sonic Adventure 2. Until we see some actual gameplay footage, I don't think you can assume this clip is telling us anything other than how pretty the game will be.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I guess the four screens can be compared to the intro movie from Sonic Heroes, where it shows just Sonic at first. That part of the video with pictures of Sonic looks like a different type of game than what it really is.

None the less, I think these screens look like they could have some playable aspects to them. (If you look at the backround of the screen with Sonic jumping off of a cliff it looks like the foundation for a possibly playable area).

But they did show a tech demo for the DS at E3 and Sonic DS turned into Sonic Rush, which is completely different.

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

The quality looks amazing, but I can't help but be pretty iffy about it. Since SA1, Sonic's seemed to have a dark, realistic environment which I don't think suits him at all. This added to the "Recreate Sonic" business has me uneasy, but it looks like it has a chance.

I miss the colorful perspective of Sonic...Bring back the Flickies goddamit!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've seen a few people on message boards mumble something about finding out more on the 16th of this month. Has anyone else heard anything else like that?
They're talking about TGS, I think.

I would say that even the Sonic levels in SA2 are misstep. That's the point, I think, that they began taking the mechanics in an entirely different direction. There's too much emphasis on precision and making the "perfect" grade A run through a stage, it almost kind of plays more like a racing game than a platformer. I liked it at the time, but I don't think it's a direction that should've been pursued like it has. It's more finely tuned than SA1, but clunkiness aside, I still consider SA1 to be the superior game.

These new screenshots of the tech demo are pretty and everything, but it's nothing especially exciting, at least not yet. The environments are pretty, but just a little bit bland... there's not much Sonic visual flair in place. I'm certainly intrigued enough to want to see more (which I presume is all these shots are intended to do), and Naka speaks mighty words, so I guess I'll wait to see what happens next before creaming my pants or slitting my wrists (again).

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
I've seen a few people on message boards mumble something about finding out more on the 16th of this month. Has anyone else heard anything else like that?
They're talking about TGS, I think.
But TGS started today, didn't it?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I do think there was a need for a bit more precision, specifically more interactive obstacles. The original Sonic Adventure was much too loose and empty in many places, to the extent that the enemies often seemed like mere scenery. Sonic Adventure 2 took it too far though, removing almost all of the already too little freedom that the original game allowed - giving each stage one ready laid out plan of which shortcuts to take and which enemies to destroy, that you weren't allowed to deviate from if you wanted to achieve that coveted A rank.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

But TGS started today, didn't it?
I don't think so. I think today was just some Sega press conference regarding Sonic specifically.

I could be wrong, I haven't been paying much attention.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I believe TGS starts a week from now.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Oh right... that'd explain it.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Hey, Sonic Stadium has better HIGH-RES ONES! but they water marked them. -_-

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Looks pretty interesting, I'd like to see how they plan on "reinventing" the Sonic franchise.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Green Gibbon! wrote:These new screenshots of the tech demo are pretty and everything, but it's nothing especially exciting, at least not yet. The environments are pretty, but just a little bit bland... there's not much Sonic visual flair in place.
THANK YOU. I don't know what everybody's so excited about. It's just a pretty, mildly well choreographed movie. I know you all WANT to be excited, but how can you so quickly forget the last 2 years because of a new graphics style?

Professor Machenstein

The answer lies within the last sentence of your post.

My impressions; I think SONICTEAM should dump the futuristic Gundam-esque robots in favor of the classic badniks such as buzzbomber, motobug, or crabmeat, with a resemblance to the robot designs from the likes of Invader Zim (Small pupils, disfigured eyes, something to give off that Nightmare Before Christmas vibe). The environments don't look very Sonic-y either. The gameplay does look like it can kick some ass though.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Professor Machenstein wrote:My impressions; I think SONICTEAM should dump the futuristic Gundam-esque robots in favor of the classic badniks such as buzzbomber, motobug, or crabmeat, with a resemblance to the robot designs from the likes of Invader Zim (Small pupils, disfigured eyes, something to give off that Nightmare Before Christmas vibe). The environments don't look very Sonic-y either. The gameplay does look like it can kick some ass though.
If you believe that there was any amount of gameplay shown in that video then your optimism has reached a level hazardous to your health.

As for the robots, your request contradicts itself. The old style badniks are the polar opposite of the serious looking robots in this video or anything that might come from the animation style of Jhonen Vasquez's creation. Not until SA2 did the robots ever look sober or intimidating.

Professor Machenstein

Frieza2000 wrote:If you believe that there was any amount of gameplay shown in that video then your optimism has reached a level hazardous to your health.
Well sorry I couldn't tell what was gameplay and what wasn't. I'm told that video was suppose to have been done all in "real-time" but it all looks as if it was all done on CGI (Seriously, are you actually controlling Sonic in one of the robots' point of view).
Frieza2000 wrote:As for the robots, your request contradicts itself. The old style badniks are the polar opposite of the serious looking robots in this video or anything that might come from the animation style of Jhonen Vasquez's creation. Not until SA2 did the robots ever look sober or intimidating.
I was thinking something along the lines of this.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Not until SA2 did the robots ever look sober or intimidating.
I dunno, I kind of thought Eggrobo was pretty intimidating. Also, most of the Death Egg Zone badniks were pretty ruthless-looking, though I guess that's mostly because they didn't resemble animals or have eyes or any other such distinguishing features.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Professor Machenstein wrote:Well sorry I couldn't tell what was gameplay and what wasn't. I'm told that video was suppose to have been done all in "real-time" but it all looks as if it was all done on CGI (Seriously, are you actually controlling Sonic in one of the robots' point of view).
Oy. Just, oy. (I might've said "man alive" but that seems to be J-man's role.)

Nova

Post by Nova »

I could said this is going to be awesome, but my hope is still in jail. Only time will tell…

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Nova wrote:I could said this is going to be awesome, but my hope is still in jail. Only time will tell…
Nova, let it never be said that you ain't my nigga.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Double-S- wrote:
Professor Machenstein wrote:Well sorry I couldn't tell what was gameplay and what wasn't. I'm told that video was suppose to have been done all in "real-time" but it all looks as if it was all done on CGI (Seriously, are you actually controlling Sonic in one of the robots' point of view).
Oy. Just, oy. (I might've said "man alive" but that seems to be J-man's role.)
Man alive.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Professor Machenstein wrote:
Frieza2000 wrote:If you believe that there was any amount of gameplay shown in that video then your optimism has reached a level hazardous to your health.
Well sorry I couldn't tell what was gameplay and what wasn't. I'm told that video was suppose to have been done all in "real-time" but it all looks as if it was all done on CGI (Seriously, are you actually controlling Sonic in one of the robots' point of view).
Frieza2000 wrote:As for the robots, your request contradicts itself. The old style badniks are the polar opposite of the serious looking robots in this video or anything that might come from the animation style of Jhonen Vasquez's creation. Not until SA2 did the robots ever look sober or intimidating.
I was thinking something along the lines of this.

HELL YEAH!! Im getting tired tired of this gundam shit!

I want Bug/animal type BoTS!!! damn it!

But, atleast those gundam things in the NEXTGEN video look way better than the Crap-Pawns in Sonic heroes!