Sonic Riders!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

My cautious optimism is faltering.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

That's what it looks like. I doubt the trick system will have the kind of depth as games like SSX, nor the battle system that of a Mario Kart.

Making? A mediocre game.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It's still possible that the courses will be so well designed that the simple game mechanics turn out fun.

*snicker*

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

God, I guess it will turn out like Kirby's Air Ride after all.

*gags*

DackAttac

Remember when Ulla dance? Ulla dance again!

Post by DackAttac »

Double-S- wrote:
DackAttac wrote:In every single racing game I've played, everyone just holds down the accelerate button and doesn't let go. Maybe braking for turns/traps, but that's braking and it's different. Now, anyone can hold down a button for the duration of the race. What makes racing games interesting are what else you can do to either boost your own speed or slow other racers down.
Unless you're playing, you know, an actual racing game. Where holding down the accelerate button for the duration of the race would result in a whole lot of time flying off turns and planting into a wall.
Which would be what the braking system would be for. Which is why I'm not thrilled to find out it's not there. But our lone source also assures us that it's not lacking anything without it. Which leads me to believe that you'll probably automatically brake depending on the sharpness of a turn.
Double-S- wrote:That's what it looks like. I doubt the trick system will have the kind of depth as games like SSX, nor the battle system that of a Mario Kart.

Making? A mediocre game.
It's going to be a simple game. I won't argue that. But that doesn't necessarily mean mediocre. Sonic 1 had, what? Two combat moves? Jumping and spinning. Doesn't really have much on Link or Samus, or even Mario at his more intricate. The only real reason it became a classic was the level design, which is while I'll echo Frieza and say the courses will make or break this title.

Nova

Re: Remember when Ulla dance? Ulla dance again!

Post by Nova »

DackAttac wrote:
Double-S- wrote:
DackAttac wrote:In every single racing game I've played, everyone just holds down the accelerate button and doesn't let go. Maybe braking for turns/traps, but that's braking and it's different. Now, anyone can hold down a button for the duration of the race. What makes racing games interesting are what else you can do to either boost your own speed or slow other racers down.
Unless you're playing, you know, an actual racing game. Where holding down the accelerate button for the duration of the race would result in a whole lot of time flying off turns and planting into a wall.
Which would be what the braking system would be for. Which is why I'm not thrilled to find out it's not there. But our lone source also assures us that it's not lacking anything without it. Which leads me to believe that you'll probably automatically brake depending on the sharpness of a turn.
Double-S- wrote:That's what it looks like. I doubt the trick system will have the kind of depth as games like SSX, nor the battle system that of a Mario Kart.

Making? A mediocre game.
It's going to be a simple game. I won't argue that. But that doesn't necessarily mean mediocre. Sonic 1 had, what? Two combat moves? Jumping and spinning. Doesn't really have much on Link or Samus, or even Mario at his more intricate. The only real reason it became a classic was the level design, which is while I'll echo Frieza and say the courses will make or break this title.
Level design wasn’t the only thing that made Sonic 1 a hit…running a lot without dying easily was also a good point…

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

... That kind of has to do with the level design.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Apparently this game's going to be stupid fast, even for a racer. The trick system is pretty in depth too and there are secret moves.
I'm more interested in what the soundtrack will be like though.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

My hopes in the soundtrack department pretty much went down the tubes upon viewing the trailer. Really just androgynous techno from what I've heard on the official site, nothing as charismatic as the Rush soundtrack.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

DackAttac wrote:My hopes in the soundtrack department pretty much went down the tubes upon viewing the trailer. Really just androgynous techno from what I've heard on the official site, nothing as charismatic as the Rush soundtrack.
Pretty much exactly right. I haven't heard much of the music, as we often have the sound off when playing (which almost let a very serious bug slip through), but what i have heard is pretty dull. Still better than most of the music in Shadow though.

The setting is fucked as well, come to thing of it, but at least the opening story FMV is fucking well made (despite lack some sense in places).

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

The setting? Level design or theme wise?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

DackAttac wrote:My hopes in the soundtrack department pretty much went down the tubes upon viewing the trailer. Really just androgynous techno from what I've heard on the official site, nothing as charismatic as the Rush soundtrack.
Sonic music has been going in a downward spiral since Tails' theme in SA.
"I-CAN-BELIEVE-IN-MYSELF!"

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Omni Hunter wrote:Apparently this game's going to be stupid fast, even for a racer. The trick system is pretty in depth too and there are secret moves.
I'm more interested in what the soundtrack will be like though.
Like faster than F-Zero GX? Cause that game is like, GOD DAMN fast.

One Classy Bloke

Professor Machenstein wrote:The setting? Level design or theme wise?
In terms of setting, the first level/s is/are bullshit and don't fit any sonic universe, but you guys have seen it already anyway. The rest seem faithful though.

In other news, the max speed is (i think) around 300km/h. Thus rendering Sonic's need for "extreme gear" void. So no, it's not F-Zero GX fast, maybe the original F-zero fast though.

CE

Post by CE »

Is it 255 km/hr?

Nova

Post by Nova »

Ok, Sonic gets bored if you go too slow?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

300km/h is so much slower than the speed of sound.

One Classy Bloke

OMG 319km/h. Thats the fastest i've seen while boosting.

It may also interest you that a level system similar to Sonic Heroes (but better) features.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

One Classy Bloke wrote:It may also interest you that a level system similar to Sonic Heroes (but better) features.
"Level system"? So, it goes from one level to the next? The stages are bland and linear? The themes are identical? Each character has the same levels, but with subtle little tweaks (Enemies are shifted two inches to the left, etc.)?

Nothing about Sonic Heroes' level system seemed particularly different to me, do elaborate.

One Classy Bloke

No, the power up level system.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well, that just changes EVERYTHING!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

One Classy Bloke wrote:OMG 319km/h. Thats the fastest i've seen while boosting.
Rollin' around at the speed of aircraft...

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well he is on a board, right? He runs at the speed of sound, not rides! It'd be a really lame game if he could go at the speed of sound and no one else could keep up with him.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:OMG 319km/h. Thats the fastest i've seen while boosting.
Rollin' around at the speed of aircraft...
high five
more dead than alive
rockin' the plastic
like a man from a casket

One Classy Bloke

Yea, now i have time.

The power up thing i mentioned, basicly, you need to collect the rings around the tracks, and once you get a certain amount, you'll speed up. You can do this three times during a race. Pretty much SNES Mario Kart's coin system too.