Sonic Riders!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Flippers.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

what's under those gloves anyway...?
A Knucklesandwich.

Badjoke

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Re: At least not 'till next weekend

Post by Baba O'Reily »

DackAttac wrote:Knuckles was the same way with the M.E. until Heroes.

Of course, he'd have to lift either four fingers or a thumb. Unless--what's under those gloves anyway...?
A fist metal crackle.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

PUMPKIN IN THE ALLEY?

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

I don't know if anybody cares, but Gamespot has now given a review of Riders.

After this and the various other reviews I’ve seen, I think I have lost all interest in this game now.

DackAttac

Working all day for a mean little man with a clip-on tie

Post by DackAttac »

6 or 7 ish sounds about right. Not really a bad title, but for those who aren't really interested, you won't give a shit when you own it, either.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I can't think of more than one or two GameSpot reviews I've even partially agreed with.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I just go to GameSpot for the videos and screenshots since IGN is the most horriblest site on earth. Oh and that Freeplay thing they do is mildly entertaining.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

The ONLY review magazine at all I still give a damn about is EGM.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I learned from an armadillo today that my constant praising is not what is going to save the Sonic series. I have to stop making every Sonic game sound good just to make you all feel confident of the series resurrection. I do want the series to live again, but it will not if I keep handing in the good and disreguarding the bad. So if you may, please disreguard my positive review of Riders. I am not being sarcastic.

Do not get me wrong, Riders is a decent mascot racer, but it is nothing that will redeem the series. The handling is very stiff, the later courses are very fustrating, the textures are so pixelated it is vomit inducing, the techno sountrack is most forgettable, and the new characters are pretty lame. I do like the level design though, what with the character based alternate routes, the adequate sense of speed, and the cool art direction. I suggest before any of you do anything, rent Riders first.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I am planning on renting Sonic Riders still, actually. I'm not expecting a good Sonic game, but I'm hoping to kill a weekend with it.

And, one day, I'll play Sonic Rush if I ever bother to buy a DS.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Professor Machenstein wrote:I have to stop making every Sonic game sound good just to make you all feel confident of the series resurrection.
I always thought you were just providing counterpoint. In any case I find it a refreshing change or perspective. Don't feel like you need to stop if you don't feel like it.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Remember when I said that Sonic Rdiers would probably suck and I wasn't going to buy it anyway? Of course you don't. You barely even remember who the heck I am.

Anyway, I bought the game, and it turned out to be really awesome and really fun to play. Boy is my face red.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Do not get me wrong, Riders is a decent mascot racer, but it is nothing that will redeem the series. The handling is very stiff, the later courses are very fustrating, the textures are so pixelated it is vomit inducing, the techno sountrack is most forgettable, and the new characters are pretty lame. I do like the level design though, what with the character based alternate routes, the adequate sense of speed, and the cool art direction. I suggest before any of you do anything, rent Riders first.
This is pretty much what I as well. Except the new characters are decent, but they should've remained villains. It's a decent game for what it is with some nice ideas that were executed well. Gameplay-wise, the only thing that's missing is long-range weaponry and tighter control - which would've improved things a lot.

(...)

Post by (...) »

I bought Riders a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty decent. It's got all the same problems that all the 3D Sonics have (crappy graphics, bottomless pits, voice acting, cut scenes that make you wish the in-game graphics looked better), but it got a lot right. The game feels really fast, and pulling off the special moves always feels satisfying.

The only thing I really hate about it is the dodgy handling. Every corner is doable, but only if you air-brake at exactly the right time. If you miss your cue by a second, you plummet off the edge of the world and lose the race.

Professor Machenstein is right, this isn't the game that will put the hedgehog back on the map (that's what Sonic next-gen is for!!). And between this and Rush, there is a definite step up from Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes (even though I liked Heroes).

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I bought the game yesterday after having rented it. There are a lot of times when you can see that the developers were being sloppy and lazy, epecially when your character falls through a gap in the solid floor. Jet's voice is probably the most annoying thing I've ever heard. The graphics are grainy and the character models are simple and unremarkable. The story is ridiculous.

And yet, the game has an immense amount of charm to me. It helps that my friend really likes it and we can compete together. The fact that Nights is in the game is a big bonus. There are times when things work out smoothly where the game just works. Sonic's spin dash attack is amazingly cool. Any sega fan owes it to themselves to play through the game's last two stages Sega Carnival and Illusion. Although I wish there were PSO segments in these courses. The game is buggy and sloppy as hell, but I can't help but like it.

Espio

Post by Espio »

An ironic thing is in demo-mode of Riders, when they show of Rider's multiplayer. One of the characters gets stuck in one of the pilars on the desert-track. Sega is really getting sloppy about bugs these days.

Yami

Post by Yami »

As evidenced by every other 3D Sonic game in existence...

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Yami wrote:As evidenced by every other 3D Sonic game in existence...
Clever. Did you search the entire News section for a place to say that?

Anyways, I bought the game a few days ago and I found it to be somewhat entertaining. There are a few bugs, but nothing that impedes my already limited enjoyment of the game. It's bone simple, and the story mode is a joke, but I don't care. It was 15 bucks and occupied my time for a day.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I would pick it up but it still goes for £29.99 new most places, which is about £29.86 more than my pocket can handle right now. After Sonic Heroes, I've always been a bit wary of buying Sonic games at full price; it always makes the disappointment just that much more bitter.

Yami

Post by Yami »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
Yami wrote:As evidenced by every other 3D Sonic game in existence...
Clever. Did you search the entire News section for a place to say that?
Nah, it just popped into my head after reading Espio's comment.