Sonic Riders!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I think they were talking to you, since what you quoted was discussed only a few posts above yours. On the other hand, I've read pretty much every post in this thread.

edit: Okay that's the last time I reply to someone without using the quote button. I guess I should limit my laziness.
Last edited by James McGeachie on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I think I've finally stopped reading SegaSonic's posts. I haven't ignored him, but now my eyes just sort of slightly move towards his name, and then I black out. A minute later, I'm back in the Open Forum, and I have no memory of what occurred. Also, I have my boxers on my head.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Sounds like you might be doing something else with SegaSonic's posts.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Actually, I was talking to you.
the hell? wow! that was weird.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

...I don't know if I laugh or cry. Probably cry.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Okay, i lied!

James McGeachie

One Classy Bloke wrote:Okay, i lied!

About the character list...? Then...Nack/Fang...could be... Oh my...

Come to think of it, I'm surprised there's anything mysterious/secret about this game just now though, I only just noticed now the US release date is like, today (well, my time anyway, assuming it did actually ship on the 21st). Usually everything has been leaked to shit by this point, although then again I haven't been spending as much time on the places that crap usually happens recently.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Not like Green Gibbon! will be giving a report until the Japanese version is released.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Has anyone got this yet? Is it any good or what?

Fry's is going to have it on sale tomorrow for $30 instead of $40 or whatever. Which version is best?

DackAttac

You don't have to be a genius (but it helps to)

Post by DackAttac »

That's one nice thing about only having one console; not making such conflicting decisions.

Still waiting for a review to dock. I'd like to hear something positive from someone other than IGN, who pretty much hands out free handjobs to any Sonic title.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I find it kind of funny that the GHZ of all places has gotten to the point where the game has been out for a few days and still no one has bought it. What happened to blind fanboyism? When did we all learn to see?

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

It shipped yesterday, numbnuts. It'll hit stores today or tomorrow.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Oh, so I guess this place is still full of rabid fanboys then?

Good... good.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Sonic Torrent has the music, movies, iso, and voices up.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

There's now artwork of Ulala, Aiai and NiGHTS on the official site(sort of). For some reason they've all got Knuckles character description though.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Ulala in quasi-JSR style. Hawt

And w007 for Aiai and NiGHTS. I really wasn't expecting new artwork for any of these guys. Color me pleasantly surprised.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I finished the game.

I am surprised. SONICTEAM... Released a game... That is better than the last? How in the Hell is this? We all very well know that prior to Sonic Adventure 2, the console Sonic games have been a bigger letdown than the last. Not Riders however.

The tracks are well designed. You are given different alternate routes depending on the character type you select. For instance, speed characters can grind rails, giving them access to hidden shortcuts that fly and power characters cannot access. Makes you remember back in the days of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, where each character had their own predetermined path to take. Alas, the tracks at first are very confusing. You might find yourself bumping into walls or falling off ledges at first, but that can be fixed once you get to know your turns. Much like Sonic Rush, one would say it takes a bit of memorization getting to know your surroundings.

The feeling of the game is much like F-Zero GX, blended in with the Ratchet and Clank hoverboarding. The controls, naturally, also take some studying to. No surpise here. It is a racer after all.

The story, thankfully, has no angst and only small hints of faggotory (Taking into consideration that this is a Sonic game). Have no fear, the game's story has no connection to Shadow and the ARK. In fact, Shadow is nowhere in the story. The story is a simplistic tale of Sonic, Eggman, and a race of thieves called the Babylon Rouges. There is also a new floating island, possibly a rival civilization to Angel Island, akin to a Paleozoic Newtrogic High.

Oh, yeah, and the graphics. They look way better than they do in the screenshots. The blur effects blends the textures together giving them a cool oil paint effect, and the characters models are smoother looking than ever. No Heroes models. All new, less shinier character models. A very nice looking game, given that it is cross platform.

Overall, the game is surprisingly decent. I much like Sonic Riders, and I am proud of Yuda for it. Yuda man, Yuda. Following Sonic Rush, I am happy to see the Sonic series finally back on track. Now, a moment of silence... For the next-gen Sonic the Hedgehog.
Last edited by Professor Machenstein on Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

How many tracks?

Who are the hidden characters?

How does no accelerate button feel?

Do the PS2 or Xbox versions have online modes?

Does the game give an adequate sense of speed?

How's the balance between characters? AI?

I guess that's all I want to know for now.

Professor Machenstein

Segaholic2 wrote:How many tracks?
Around fifteen or seventeen from what I recall.
Segaholic2 wrote:Who are the hidden characters?
So far, I have unlocked Cream, Rouge and Shadow. Nobody else right now.
Segaholic2 wrote:How does no accelerate button feel?
Normal. There is a boost button though.
Segaholic2 wrote:Do the PS2 or Xbox versions have online modes?
Not to my knowledge. I only have the Gamecube version.
Segaholic2 wrote:Does the game give an adequate sense of speed?
Of course.
Segaholic2 wrote:How's the balance between characters?
That depends on the different kinds of gear you are using. Generally, the characters are balanced, but adding different gear to the mix makes you either faster, go higher, or turn sharper.
Segaholic2 wrote:AI?
Not bad. I see no particular problem with it.

One Classy Bloke

Okay, i lied about lying.

Btw, you could of asked me about this stuff...

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I thought Sega swore you to secrecy about revealing info?

One Classy Bloke

That doesn't matter, i'm all lonely and shit. And i wasn't sure what people wanted to know.

I also found that PSU is only for the early shift, so i'm kinda pissed about that.

Also, there are no Sonic design documents on the network. I've had a pretty solid look around, and all i've found are bug reports from SA2. Example, did you know Rouge's voice sounded husky when she kicked or jumped?

James McGeachie

6.2 from IGN, quite a bit lower than I was expecting for a game gathering so many positive opinions.

Is it really good, or is it just good in like, comparison to Shadow?

Professor Machenstein

What the hell? Fuck you, Casamassina. To combat everything you say, I have SEGA Bastard and the reasons why we should not listen to you. Why can't we have someone else to review the Sonic games, like Craig Harris.

I swear, Sonic Riders is pretty good, especially as far as racers go. Okay, so the controls are a bit convoluted to first comers and some race tracks do get a bit fustrating, but there is nothing completely atrocious about the game. If anyone of you are unsure, you can rent it, since rental copies just came in yesterday. Just... Don't listen to Casamassina. I expected the game to get at least a seven or eight, but a six...?

EDIT: Whoops, I almost forgot. I just discovered that you can turn off the announcer in the "Set Rules" menu. Kthnx