Sonic Riders!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I remember hating Mario Kart: Double Dash when it came out. Now that I've actually learnt how to play the game there's nothing I'd rather bust out when I'm getting high. I bring the blue sparks for real.

So yes, once again I remain vaguely hopeful. Gimmicks aren't always done badly, even if we are talking about Sonic Team. Once we've learnt the tricks and we figure out this "air" system, I'm sure we'll all have a right laugh.

UNLESS THERES NO JAPANESE LANGUAGE OPTION OHNOS HELP ME PLZ MR INTERNET

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

j-man wrote:I remember hating Mario Kart: Double Dash when it came out. Now that I've actually learnt how to play the game there's nothing I'd rather bust out when I'm getting high. I bring the blue sparks for real.
I miss kicking your ass at that game. :(

I'm still kind of optimistic about Sonic Riders. Yuda was right about Sonic R, the characters were SEVERELY unbalanced, and I suspect there'll still be things that differentiate how the characters play.

The air stuff doesn't sound like a gimmick, just different from other racing games, which is a good thing. The last thing we need is another Mario Kart clone.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Dash wrote:
Frieza2000 wrote:I think it's going to turn out like every other Sonic spin-off, though I fear without the same charm as games like Sonic R and Drift. As far as spin-offs go, this isn't looking like much of a credit to the team.
For the record, Drift had no charm. It and it's sequal would perhaps be the most conceptually retarded Sonic games ever if Shadow hadn't claimed that crown last fall. IMO Riders looks to be far more appealing than Drift ever could be.
Is Sonic Team paying you in hookers or what?

Egore

Post by Egore »

Double-S- wrote:Yeah, well, it's Jonathan Metts. Who's that? I have no idea. And it's from Planet GameCube. Who are they? No idea. As far as I can tell they're not even affiliated with the other Planet places.
Yes, but he's played the game, and you haven't.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
Dash wrote:
Frieza2000 wrote:I think it's going to turn out like every other Sonic spin-off, though I fear without the same charm as games like Sonic R and Drift. As far as spin-offs go, this isn't looking like much of a credit to the team.
For the record, Drift had no charm. It and it's sequal would perhaps be the most conceptually retarded Sonic games ever if Shadow hadn't claimed that crown last fall. IMO Riders looks to be far more appealing than Drift ever could be.
Is Sonic Team paying you in hookers or what?
If they were, wouldn't I be praising Sonic Drift and Shadow the Hedgehog? Your logic confounds me.

I dislike the Drift games because they are Mario Kart clones and put Sonic in a fucking car. It hurts my mind to think about it.

I dislike Shadow because it's asthetically the worst thing I've ever seen(overall design), and gives Shadow some fucking guns. And has Shadow(and other Sonic characters) runnig beside some fucking aliens whose designs that don't fit in well with the universe. AND gives him the option of driving a fucking car. I'm surprised my brain doesn't freaking explode when I think about it.

That's why I say they're both stupid concepts and had no charm. The concept of Riders doesn't seem totally stupid(to me), it doesn't look to be a total rip-off of another game(to me), and the enviorments are looking okay(to me), thusly I think it will be more appealing than Drift. It's just my stupid opinion that can change if said game turns out bad.
Last edited by Dash on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Egore wrote:
Double-S- wrote:Yeah, well, it's Jonathan Metts. Who's that? I have no idea. And it's from Planet GameCube. Who are they? No idea. As far as I can tell they're not even affiliated with the other Planet places.
Yes, but he's played the game, and you haven't.
I also haven't played Barbie Horse Adventures.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That freaking Barbie game has gotten way to much freaking publicity. If it wasn't near the top of that Xbox 360 backwards compatiblity list, no one would give a damn.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

A bit like the retarded Crazy Frog game, my mum thought it would be funny and deliberately buy it as a christmas present to piss me off.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What game?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

My apologies, you may/may not remember adverts on the net/tv for a ringtone featuring a blue frog in a helmet. That, amazingly, was turned into a game.
I'm not sure if the thing hit the states but it's been on the internets.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

j-man

Post by j-man »

I dislike Shadow because it's asthetically the worst thing I've ever seen
Nigga please. The graphics and design were probably the best thing about the game. Besides which, if you can't think of a game that looks worse than Shadow then you're really, really not trying very hard at all.

Also, I see the option of driving a car as an amusing 20-second diversion no different to riding huge blocks of ice, minecarts, snowboards or eggmobiles.

Also also, the guns are fun. Stop being a fag.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Shadow is a decent game if you don't view it as related at all to the Sonic Universe, and don't compare it to any previous Sonic game. Even then, it's at most a 6/10, maybe a 7.3~.

DackAttac

Superman or Green Latern ain't got nothing on me

Post by DackAttac »

The guns would have been great if you could aim them, the Sonic physics would have enhanced the shooting if they weren't so flawed, and I could have enjoyed the levels if the missions weren't so inanely mind-boggling.

I gave it 2 stars out of five. I think I may have been a little generous, but I just don't ever recall ever having fun at any point.

First canon Sonic game I have no will to finish.

Dash

Post by Dash »

j-man wrote:
I dislike Shadow because it's asthetically the worst thing I've ever seen
Nigga please. The graphics and design were probably the best thing about the game. Besides which, if you can't think of a game that looks worse than Shadow then you're really, really not trying very hard at all.
Let me clairify: Shadow the Hegehog is asthetically the worst game I've ever personally played.

See, the thing is, IMO the game looks very sloppily put together. Like some one had taken a lot of SEGA's stock 3D models and put them together to make a game. And the overall design was just... odd. Looking at a level seperately, I might call it OK(The Carnival stage and Mad Matrix are highlights), but most of the levels didn't flow well together artistically. ANGST or not, it feels very random and unorganized to me.
Also, I see the option of driving a car as an amusing 20-second diversion no different to riding huge blocks of ice, minecarts, snowboards or eggmobiles.
Yeah, but when that diversion generally has no purpose but to make the game even harder to control...

I mostly included that to tie in to my Sonic Drift thing anyway.
Also also, the guns are fun. Stop being a fag.
Ammunympho*

I can give Shadow a couple positives(Note: I haven't played the WHOLE game as I was just trying it out my friend's little brother's copy).

1. I had the most fun on the (almost)straight hero path because it had a lot of decent bosses(not great though).
2. They fixed Vector's dancing animation. That made me happy.

*Shortly after typing this, I died a little inside.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Shadow isn't canon, is it? I mean it has multiple endings.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I think there's a "Final Ending" that is considered canon. I doubt it will be mentioned much though. Methinks Sonic Team is going to try and sweep this one under the rug....

Oh and since it was mentioned: Co-op play in Double Dash kicked ass. It was like the coolest new thing the game had to offer(16 player versus? Hell yes!). I'm actually somewhat dissapointed MK:DS didn't have such a mode. Hope it's still considered for the Revolution Mario Kart(probably not).

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The only problem with the co-op was it inevitably ended up with one guy driving the entire time while the other just waited to throw shit. They kinda turned a simple one man job into an even simpler two man job. I guess getting the blue sparks in co-op required a bit of teamwork though.

j-man

Post by j-man »

The guns would have been great if you could aim them
Auto-aim kthx
I guess getting the blue sparks in co-op required a bit of teamwork though.
Lies tbh. The guy on weapons just had to wiggle the stick permanently throughout the race and you get auto-boost round every cornor without P1 even touching the shoulder buttons. It doesn't stop it being fun, but it does make it a bit too easy.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

j-man wrote:
The guns would have been great if you could aim them
Auto-aim kthx
I assume he meant if you could choose who you were aiming at -- good versus evil or whatever.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

You couldn't choose? How the hell are you supposed to complete each unique mission then?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Spin attacks, although they arent even spin attacks anymore, just spinning into the air and doing a drop kick with a forcefield.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

So then the guns were just absolutely pointless if you were trying to do a specific mission?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Not really. For the record, I've yet to see this auto-aim in action.

j-man

Post by j-man »

I usually see it in action by playing the game. I also find tilting the control stick toward an enemy before shooting allows me to move towards them in order to shoot them. Did you know pressing A, then A again allows you to use a Homing Attack? Shadow, try going down here! LETS GIVE THESE GUN SOLDIERS A HAND.