Sonic Riders!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I am crying because there is no Big. No secret character option of him?! I cry.
~Neo

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Considering the inclusion of Nights et al. and the nature of the genre it's reasonable to predict that this game will be rife with cameos, even if they're not in the form of playable characters.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

No Metal Sonic either then? I don't really mind, I was happy with the character selection as soon as I knew Eggman was playable, but it's odd that they're offering random generic robot characters over choices that would've appealed more to fans.

Of course it's not like any of this will matter unless the game turns out to be good.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Yeah, I want to see mighty adn chaotix and Amigo, too! Also, Gamma ver.2, CHaos and darkchao <3

Or something like that.

This game doesn't sound too shabby, actually. The selection of characters isn't horrible, though I find Aiai and Ulala to be odd choices. Still, it'd be cool to hear Ulala making commentary and dancing or something. SPAAAACE CHANNEL 5!

Gimmicky as it is, I'm intrigued by the Exxxtreme Gear aspect of the game. It's made me realize that the boards allow for customization that wouldn't be available in a Sonic game without gimmicks. I also like the idea of the various modes, especially Mission Mode. It, and the talk of differences between s/f/p, give the impression of expansive tracks, which allow for exploration, and is generally a good thing. Tracks themselves look good too, especially Eggman's factory.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

There's some new gameplay videos at GameSpot.

Unfortunately, the game seems to have a very annoying commentator. Let's hope you can switch it off.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

LOOK AT TAILS RIDE THAT TURBULENCE!

I'm not sure if I like the look of this much now, there's far too much fucking motion blur and the gameplay looks extremely irritating to control.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Okay. I'd go so far as to say that the constant dialogue from your fellow teammates in SH didn't bother me for the most part, but that commentator is not going to work. -50 respek points :(

Dash

Post by Dash »

In case anyone missed it, here's a Riders advert featuring Uekawa's art.

Besides the announcer girl though, Riders seems to be shaping up nicely. Team Babylon's designs look to have come together really well too. So long as they stay Punk baddies(No Anti-Hero bullshit), I'm okay with them.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Commentator is only active in the story mode.

Dash

Post by Dash »

That's comforting. Wait, no it isn't.

Isn't there an option to turn it off all together?

One Classy Bloke

I don't remember it being all that constant anyway, at least not like in Shadow or Heroes.

I heard an interesting rumour now that i think about it. It seems that Sega is releasing a branded set of headphones which are only combatible with Heroes and Shadow. They work like normal headphones, but whenever one of your team mates talks, a spike is shot into your ear. Thanks to the wonderful technologies of Acme Co., this spike only deafens you for the period when the character is talking.

And then i woke up

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGEZ6UBT

Enjoy

By the way, here's a translation of what their saying:

Sonic: "The EX World Grand Prix, huh? Let's do this!"
---
Sonic: "Take a look at this! I'll show you what true speed really is!"
- "vs." -
Jet: "You can't catch up with him! Get outta my way!"
---
Jet: "Are you saying the Babylon Rogues aren't capable of stealing some puny emeralds?"
---
Tails: "I just need to fine tune a few things then your Extreme Gear will be at 100%."
---
Wave: "Well, I never imagined anyone would enter the race with such a piece of junk!"
---
Knuckles: "It's you!"
Knuckles: "We'll settle this on the track!"
Storm: "Looking forward to it!"
Storm: "I'll make sure to pay you back for this!"
---
Jet: "Heh. So let me get this straight, we just need to collect all these Chaos Emeralds, right? "
Jet: "Sounds easy!"
Eggman: "You really think so, eh?"
---
Tails (to wave): "Customized it myself."
Wave: "Hmmm"
---
Jet: "Let's finish this, then we'll finally get the treasure of Babylon."
---
Amy: "It really looks exciting and fun..." <cuts into next>
---
Sonic: <cuts from last> "Well, I don't think he's all talk, you know. " <cuts into next>
---
Wave: <cuts from last> "If he's interested in this technology, it must have value." <cuts into next>
---
Sonic+Knuckles (But Jets voice): <cuts from last> "Without wings, you might as well kiss the ground and go home!" <cuts into next>
---
Sonic: <cuts from last> "Babylon?" <cuts into next>
---
Eggman: <cuts from last> "I've heard so much about your infamous group."
---
Sonic (CG): "At last, some competition!"

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The Sega America Sonic Riders site has been updated. They've now added the profiles of the 2 robot characters to the site. They simply call them Robo 1 and Robo 2(what great names). They seem like pretty pointless additions to me.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Who wants to bet money on all the fanartists stealing the Sonic Riders colouring style and wearing it so threadbare you could strain vegetables through it? I wouldn't be surprised after seeing the beating that the Adventure-style colouring took, being plastered onto hideous, misshaped Sonics across the interweb since 2000.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Whoa! They are the bastard childern of an Egg-Robo and an Egg-Pawn. I think they were called something else beside Robo 1 and Robo 2 though. One Classy Bloke said they were called "E-10000g" and "E-10000r" in his list of Riders characters.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

j-man wrote:Who wants to bet money on all the fanartists stealing the Sonic Riders colouring style and wearing it so threadbare you could strain vegetables through it? I wouldn't be surprised after seeing the beating that the Adventure-style colouring took, being plastered onto hideous, misshaped Sonics across the interweb since 2000.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Or lack of originality...

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Neo Yi wrote:I am crying because there is no Big. No secret character option of him?! I cry.
~Neo
yes but do you cry

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

So, instead of Big and Vector, we're getting a clone of a shitty robot and a shitty recolor of a clone of a shitty robot.

The inclusion of NiGHTS and Aiai outweighs the cock razor, luckily.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The two robots are indeed cheap "characters". They should have used Fang (with his Marvelous Queen air bike) and Vector.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Indeed, Fang is really a no-brainer for this game.

Heh, maybe these Eggbots are the game continuity's answer to the Becoe and Deco/Scratch and Grounder stuff in the TV shows;P

I don't really mind the robots' designs. They're pretty weak secret characters though=( If it had to be a badnick, I would've preferred Eggrobo. Then again, would an Eggrobo be "riding" anything? What with the jetpack and all?

No Vector or Big is a crying shame, but that's mostly because I think large characters are cool. It does seem right up Vector's alley and Big.... well, come on! It's Big!=D

(And I know no one brought it up but I like Vector's Heroes design. It makes him look more like a tough saltwater croc and less like a skinny little lizard. And I rather like the bling; it suits him. And And And.)

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

A shame on Vectors lack of prescence in the game, I was hoping for a pimped up jet-board with the full works.

One Classy Bloke

Professor Machenstein wrote:Whoa! They are the bastard childern of an Egg-Robo and an Egg-Pawn. I think they were called something else beside Robo 1 and Robo 2 though. One Classy Bloke said they were called "E-10000g" and "E-10000r" in his list of Riders characters.
I have to admit, I am confused about this. I figure it's just those wacky SOA web designers getting the wrong end of the stick. Or it those may be the american names. Or maybe we have beta names in our version for some reason, despite people are currently working on the release version.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

So many Vector Fans, I am glad! ^^ Vector was the only Reason I played Heroes..although his New design is horrid, his attitude was left intact..until now, 4KIDS fucked him up.

In SonicTeam of America there are fans of 6 things, Halloween,Endless-pits,Cyberworld,Shooting/Guns and Eggpawns. Its getting really annoying how theyre whoring the Sonic universe.

The Thing with Sonic is that it has a weak Leader who hates Sonic unlike Mario who has a great Creator and producer. I vote Oshima shouldve been the Producer! although its too late.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Dash wrote:No Vector or Big is a crying shame, but that's mostly because I think large characters are cool. It does seem right up Vector's alley and Big.... well, come on! It's Big!=D
I'm glad that Big the Cat isn't present in Riders. Nothing about his character really shouts "extreme sports".

Sega have been shoving virtually all of the core (SA-onwards) cast in just about every game for the past few years, most of the time serving absolutely no purpose, so I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the restraint they've shown Big the Cat.

He's a good character, but there's not much room for him in most Sonic games - he certainly felt out of place in Sonic Heroes.

He's better off just being left as "that guy from Sonic Adventure", and occassionally making the odd few cameos where appropriate.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

EDIT: Nothing of use.
Last edited by SegaSonic on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.