Shorts - Next Sonic announcement on Friday · SoJ web update

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Shorts - Next Sonic announcement on Friday · SoJ web update

Post by big_smile »

Next-Gen Sonic
New Game to be announced on Friday

Kikizo have revealed that the next Sonic game, imaginatively nicked-named ‘Next-Gen Sonic’, is scheduled to be announced at the end of this week before being shown at the Tokyo Game Show, which starts on September 16.

The game will apparently mirror the technical demo that shown at E3 in May. As with Sonic Heroes the new title is expected to be a multiplatform title.

More details can be found at Kikizo.

SOJ website updates
:FJ: The PSU website has been updated with new character and world profiles, while the Akadoko site (Where do Babies Come From?) has been updated with a trailer, flash game, story and character information and a new edition of the director’s column.

Mouthfullofjoy

Post by Mouthfullofjoy »

It also said that it will make up for heroes

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I'd rather have a new Sonic game now than wait for 10 years before I can afford an Xbox Three-Shitty.

Wait, am I asking them to rush another game out? I have dishonoured my ancestors.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

This supposingly is handled by a completely different development team than the one that's handled the franchise since 1998- Sonic Team before that was creative. So it might be good.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Well, the tech demo kicked ass, so that means that the game is gonna be great, right?

...Right?

Mouthfullofjoy

Post by Mouthfullofjoy »

When we saw the tech demo for luigi's mansion we thought it was going to be good..boy were we wrong

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Luigi's Mansion never looked good.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Your opinions are wrong. Just sayin'.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Oh yeah? WELL YOU KNOW WHAT

...You smell.

Mouthfullofjoy

Post by Mouthfullofjoy »

You are pathetic :roll:

Dash

Post by Dash »

Mouthfullofjoy wrote:You are pathetic :roll:
Image*click*

Ah, that's better.

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

firemario101: What's your source on that?

Mouthfullofjoy

Post by Mouthfullofjoy »

He gave a source

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I'm assuming it, because the Sonic Team based in California is working on Shadow the Hedgehog at the moment. They rushing it too, so I don't think they can have a dedicated staff that can work on the next gen title as well.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

So instead of putting their "best" people on the first console Sonic game since Heroes they're tossing it to some other group (no doubt an illustrious bunch of pack mules on par with Dimps), thus dividing their resources and creating two half assed games instead of one whole assed one? And this gives you hope?

Seriously though, that's not what's happening. This game will be coming out about the same time as the revolution. Sonic Team will be long done with Shadow before its release.

Seymour

Post by Seymour »

Who cares? We all know the game is going to blow.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I thought Sega Studio USA was making Shadow and just slapping the Sonic Team logo on it. Am I wrong?

Oh and now that I think about it, that last post probably came off as a little blunt. I was jokingly saying "I disagree", for those who weren't sure. However, I was going to ignore Mouthfullofjoy anyway. I mean look at this shit and tell me you want to hear this guy's thoughts.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Frieza2000 wrote:So instead of putting their "best" people on the first console Sonic game since Heroes they're tossing it to some other group (no doubt an illustrious bunch of pack mules on par with Dimps), thus dividing their resources and creating two half assed games instead of one whole assed one? And this gives you hope?

Seriously though, that's not what's happening. This game will be coming out about the same time as the revolution. Sonic Team will be long done with Shadow before its release.
I was thinking about an internal development team within Sega doing the project.

I still have my doubts, but different people can make all the difference.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think there are probably a lot of different Sega teams who could do a better job of a 3D Sonic game than the folks behind Heroes. I always thought that Smilebit could have made a killer Sonic title if they had been given an appropriate amount of time and resources. But who knows where all those guys have been scattered to now.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

They made one helluva Panzer Dragoon.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I thought it'd be interesting if AV did it. The Super Monkey Ball / F-Zero style graphics (yes there are simularities) would probably work with Sonic. They definately know how to work with speed at least.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I don't know, looking at F-Zero GX and the race-mode from Super Monkey Ball, it could lead to another Sonic Advance 2 scenario, but in 3D. Implementing AV's engine into a platformer seems a little questionable, for it might make it difficult to hit enemies and prevent some platform jumping.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Engines supply "generic" functionality, they don't effect gameplay (or even visuals, necessarily) on their own. It's up to the unique code of the individual games to tap into the "engine" and draw out what it needs. The same engine could power a racing game and a platformer and they would not necessarily resemble eachother to even the slightest degree. F-Zero and Monkey Ball's similarities are more likely because it was the same team working on them than any codebase that they might be sharing.

I think AV would be a really good choice too, they really understand the games they are working on. I really wasn't sure if they could make an F-Zero that I would like (Nintendo failed at it themselves on the N64), but it turns out they absolutely nailed it, and Monkey Ball is designed with "exploitable physics" that allow the player to do surprising things, which is comparable to the way Sonic was more physics-oriented when he was 2D. I think they really know what they are doing, they really know what makes their games good. Sonic Team... doesn't.

Nova

Post by Nova »

G.Silver wrote:Engines supply "generic" functionality, they don't effect gameplay (or even visuals, necessarily) on their own. It's up to the unique code of the individual games to tap into the "engine" and draw out what it needs. The same engine could power a racing game and a platformer and they would not necessarily resemble eachother to even the slightest degree. F-Zero and Monkey Ball's similarities are more likely because it was the same team working on them than any codebase that they might be sharing.

I think AV would be a really good choice too, they really understand the games they are working on. I really wasn't sure if they could make an F-Zero that I would like (Nintendo failed at it themselves on the N64), but it turns out they absolutely nailed it, and Monkey Ball is designed with "exploitable physics" that allow the player to do surprising things, which is comparable to the way Sonic was more physics-oriented when he was 2D. I think they really know what they are doing, they really know what makes their games good. Sonic Team... doesn't.
I still remember how all our hopes in Heroes where hight until the game was released. So until I’m able to play a full working version of this “new consoleâ€￾ game, I will keep my hope in Jail with no visitors allowed.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I hate how the media gives these fantastic impressions of games, and then when it comes down to reviewing the final product, they give it low score.