Shorts - Next Gen Sonic · Sega Sonic fully playable

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

GG!, surely you can see the advantage and even the virtue of having your desire satiated so easily.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Hey Caff, by admitting that you've been on the same old games for the past eight months, aren't you also kind of conceding to the fact that there's a problem with what's coming out now? Or are you simply conceding to the fact that your ignorance as to what's available justifies your stance?
Neither. I'm saying that the games I have right now are so fun that I don't see the need to buy anything else.
Either way, the fact that you could spend eight whole months on any one game, regardless of how good (which excludes Halo from most consideration), is a pretty revealing fact in and of itself.
Eight months is nothing. I spent two and a half years on VOOT.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Delphine wrote:Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?
Oh, not much. They're fighting the good fight. See anything good on television?

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Um, I was just relaizing my dream as a Sonic fan. I've not been played a game in many months, and it was entertaining.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I hope this next-gen title will be the first truly outstanding 3D Sonic game.
Probably not, though.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Well, SA was pretty good for it's time looking back at it. I hope that this new one follows suit.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Omni Hunter wrote:Well, SA was pretty good for it's time looking back at it. I hope that this new one follows suit.
But during the early Dreamcast era, Sonic Team was incapable of making mistake, whereas now they seem incapable of doing anything right.

^_^

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I'm no computer expert (in fact I'm an amature)and as a result, I can't get Sega Sonic to run. I've downloaded Mame, put the Sega Sonic zip into the rom directory, opened a command prompt and told it to open C:\mamepp sonic

It then proceeds to do some sort of check and tells me that I don't have these files which I know very well are where they are supposed to be. Please Help! I want to play Sega Sonic and various other arcade games.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

This next Sonic game will not be done by the USA Sonic Team, right?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

When I was a lad, my Sega Genesis was all I had. But I hadn't the money to purchase games with much frequency.

Today, Genesis games go for rather cheap, and there are upwards of a hundred that I'd probably like to play, because they're all new to me. And so every couple of weeks I'll go to this local used game store that has literally everything (excepting Virtual Boy and its' library), and pick up several "new" games for my Genesis.

In conclusion, this story has little to do with the argument at hand, but I haven't posted anything in a while, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to do so.

Thank you.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

smiths32 wrote:I've downloaded Mame, put the Sega Sonic zip into the rom directory, opened a command prompt and told it to open C:\mamepp sonic
I'm assuming mamepp.exe is the pentium pro version? All I can suggest is making sure it's called sonic.zip or downloading the rom again and making sure it's Revision C.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I think half the problem is the site where I got the rom from (emunation) as it says that the files will be corrupt if you don't vote for them. Thing is, I did vote for them but while downloading it said n% of "srv?" (with the question mark) instead of something like Sonic.zip. Normally I wouldn't think much of this but when I decided to download Street Fighter Alpha 3 I had that same name thing.

So, where can I get roms for Mame?

The rom was definately Revision C BTW.

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

http://www.romreactor.net

Decent site. No voting, passwords or clicking on ads needed. A warning however as it's a pretty slow site plus it's a pop-up hell. Make sure you have your anti-pop-up filter ready.

JessicaPadkin

Post by JessicaPadkin »

smiths32 wrote: It then proceeds to do some sort of check and tells me that I don't have these files which I know very well are where they are supposed to be. Please Help! I want to play Sega Sonic and various other arcade games.
I cannae get it to work that way either. Try dragging the rom zip file (sonic.zip) into mame.exe.

Mind you, you're probably much better off using Mame32 instead: http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Omni Hunter wrote:Well, SA was pretty good for it's time looking back at it. I hope that this new one follows suit.
I hope with this new one they decide to reinvent the series again, with a new art style to set it far apart from anything they've done with Sonic since SA2.

I'd really like it if they went back to the old school stylings. I thought they wouldn't do anything thing for me anymore until I was looking at the artwork for Sonic Gems Collection. The newer "green-eyed Sonic" look has a pretty bad reputation going with it for most of the games he's appeared in like that, in comparison to the original art.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Omni Hunter wrote:Well, SA was pretty good for it's time looking back at it.
SA was excellent, don't get me wrong - but there were more than a few issues which Sega did nothing to correct in DX. Some flaws were only a minor annoyance, others hurt the gameplay. That sorta keeps it from being outstanding. It did have a ton of merits that I wish were carried over to later games and refined a bit more, but instead we get SA2.

And I agree with gr4yJ4y.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I'm surprised you people like the first Adventure game, since it has the same flaws and linear design that its successors have. I don't think it was a good transition into 3D for Sonic.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It was better than the later games, but it had a lot of problems and it really didn't hold up well over time. The one thing that SA had going for it was potential... it felt like it was on the right track, like the series would develop into something great.

Oh well!

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Well, we have had Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, a port, a port, Sonic Heroes, and I guess that's it. Sonic Adventure 2 was somewhat a step in the right direction, looking at the Sonic/Shadow stages. The problem was there wasn't enough of them. That, and the treasure hunting returned when it was clear that nobody wanted them back. Of course, with the linearity of the level design, Knuckles/Rouge could simply glide over the entire stage (Knowing this when using Action Replay to play as Knuckles in Final Rush).

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I wouldn't rule out the treasure hunting as a no-no. I think the treasure hunting/exploration could be used for a Knuckles game rather than in a Sonic game.
But then again what are you asking for? Sonics levels to be more like Knuckles stages?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The Shadow and Sonic levels of SA2 played a lot tighter than SA and had a well thought out (but not quite perfect) scoring system. They were even more linear than SA though and generally pretty bland or even ugly to look at.

That's possibly the most frustrating thing about the Sonic series these days, for every bit of progression there's twice as much degression.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

No one has mentioned the crappy rail sections. I feel I should mention the crappy rail sections.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I liked the idea of being able to grind on parts of the scenery well enough, though it was too limited. The trouble started when they became suspended over bottomless pits and started to stretch on for miles.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Right, crappy rail sections.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Sky Rail and Final Rush both were great levels and they incorporated a lot of grinding over bottomless pits.