Shorts - Next Gen Sonic · Sega Sonic fully playable

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, you got the second part right, at least.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Final Rush was fun in its own way. The pits weren't much of a problem unless you tried to switch rails, which you rarely needed to. But that kind of level design should never have been repeated. The idea of an all rail level doesn't have anywhere to expand to.

Can't say I've ever liked Sky Rail though. It's Red Mountain on crack.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Sky Rail had some really fun jumps though. And there was that great feeling of accomplishment when you kept switching rails, grabbing power ups and narrowly avoiding bombs and such. And besides, it was only two minutes long, not long enough to be monotonous. Oh yeah, and the music kicked ass, probably because it was originally going to be one of Sonic's levels.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

chriscaffee wrote:And there was that great feeling of accomplishment when you kept switching rails, grabbing power ups and narrowly avoiding bombs and such.
Yes, but this exhilaration was limited to the first long set of rails for me. After that, switching rails presented about a 50% chance of death. And aside from that dual rail theme, the level was vacant of any other features of note.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I don't recall SA's levels as anything linear... There were a lot of shortcuts and alternative paths to take, and Sonic's spindash on a ramp could send you to places that you shouldn't even be able to get so I guess there was a lot of liberty there. That's the problem with SA2 though, since they've put some invisible walls, straight forward paths and practically ripped off Sonic's spindash, replacing it with that stupid slowmotion sommersault.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

They didn't replace it at all, it was still there.

Nova

Post by Nova »

firemario1001 wrote:I'm surprised you people like the first Adventure game, since it has the same flaws and linear design that its successors have. I don't think it was a good transition into 3D for Sonic.
For 1998 3D standards, it was great. Besides it played a lot better than the 3D Sonic games that came after it…

It was supposed to be Sonic reborn in a new era, but Naka made Naoto Oshima get fired and ruined all…

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Naka didn't fire Ohshima. I can't remember which is right... either Ohshima and some other Sega staff left in a huff about Sonic's current path, or Sega did something stupid and Ohshima and some other Sega staff left because of that.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Didn't Sonic Team split into 3 Teams after Adventure? I think Ohshima was in charge of one of them and they ended leaving.

Anyone know what he's up to these days? Last I heard, Artoon was hiring new employees to work on some RPG. I dunno. I think he'd be better designing western styled characters. That's what he does best.

Nova

Post by Nova »

firemario1001 wrote:Didn't Sonic Team split into 3 Teams after Adventure? I think Ohshima was in charge of one of them and they ended leaving.

Anyone know what he's up to these days? Last I heard, Artoon was hiring new employees to work on some RPG. I dunno. I think he'd be better designing western styled characters. That's what he does best.
He is like Charlie Brown without Snoopy. Oshima haven’t done a decent thing since he left Sega or was fired from it.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That's a crap analogy. Charlie Brown and Snoopy don't need to be together in a Peanuts strip to provide high entertainment.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Crazy Penguin wrote:That's a crap analogy. Charlie Brown and Snoopy don't need to be together in a Peanuts strip to provide high entertainment.
But some people only like Peanuts because of Snoopy, like me^_-. We like Oshima because of Sonic, ok you win...

What about Calvin without Hobbes?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

More like Calvin & Hobbes without Bill Watterson.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_1992_en.html

Biggun TGS 2005 trailer, includes some Sonic Next Gen footage.

Maybe we should have one big post for all TGS stuff?

Nova

Post by Nova »

Rlan wrote:http://www.xboxyde.com/news_1992_en.html

Biggun TGS 2005 trailer, includes some Sonic Next Gen footage.

Maybe we should have one big post for all TGS stuff?
Big gun? Shadow is in it?

Sorry, the rules said I had to make the joke..