Gems Shorts: Sega Direct Promotions • STF Team Battle mode

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

Mm, they just need to omit that level intro overlay in the corner and it would be perfect.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

It's still the shit though.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I like the level intro thingy. It's fashionably retro.

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

They should have put it on the back or something then. It's presence in the corner is maddening.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The continue screen should be on the back, that would be awesome.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Okay, I got some cool news for you. Sonic Team once again updated the Gems Collection site, and you can tell by looking at the menu bar. The thing is, the menu bar has the three Sonic CD, Sonic the Fighters, and Sonic R, as well the six Game Gear titles... But there are also six blank bars as well.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Professor Machenstein wrote:Okay, I got some cool news for you. Sonic Team once again updated the Gems Collection site, and you can tell by looking at the menu bar. The thing is, the menu bar has the three Sonic CD, Sonic the Fighters, and Sonic R, as well the six Game Gear titles... But there are also six blank bars as well.
Wouldn't that be?:

Bare Knuckle
Bare Knuckle II
Bare Knuckle III
Bonanza Bros
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Professor Machenstein

Ah, man... Hold on a second. Vectorman will be in the Japanese version? I thought Vectorman was just a replacement for Streets of Rage for the American version only. Oh... Well. I guess I'll just have to get a 32X and Chaotix off of Ebay. -_-

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Or, you know, get the ROM.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

GameSpot have a Sonic Gems Collection video up. Nothing particularly brilliant it's just some fat guy playing the 3 main games in the collection. It does show some of the menus though.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Why a fat guy?

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Because all Sonic fans are morbidly obese, silly.

Nice to have a video like that though. I'm honestly getting quite excited about playing "Sonic the Fighters" again. People may say it's just "Virtua Fighter 2 but easier", but for me it holds amazing memories of annual birthday trips to Segaworld London in my years leading up to the end of my childhood.

Back then, I couldn't get past Bark's Aurora Icefield stage. Let's see if 6 years experience doesn't improve my chances.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I could never beat Metal Sonic. Hopefully this will let me get enough practice to beat the game.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I could never beat Eggman, if only because of the really short time limit his stage had that I may or may not be imagining.

Professor Machenstein

I've beaten the game before, even with Super Sonic. The ending isn't much really. It's your typical "the-base-blows-up-in-space-as-Sonic-flies-down-to-Earth" type of ending (Something usually found in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2 or Sonic Battle). The credit music is cool though, and it shows your victories on little screens as the names scroll. It also ends with a neat "punch-the-letter-to-enter-your-high-score" thingy too.

EDIT: Er, eh, and um... Watching the video of the guy playing Sonic CD, it seems that tacky loading screen from the PC version will be on the Gems Collection version of Sonic CD too. It reminds me too much of the world map of Keen Dreams. I shrugs at this now, as I might as well call this collection Sonic PC-to-Console Collection. I'll pretend Sonic the Fighters is a port of a non-existent PC version as well.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Gah! No!

I was really hoping that we would not be getting the PC load screens in Sonic CD.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Wait, we get the ugly-ass, off color little planet?

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

The planet lasts a single second though, nothing like the PC version :)

The true abomination is the lack of the Saturn styled loading sequence for Sonic R! That was awesome. Now it's a lame Sonic R flag [from the PC version I assume].

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

From what I recall, the PC version of Sonic R didn't have any loading time.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

If the US loading time is that cheap little planet..then what was the other like?

Professor Machenstein

Bad news, men. It appears from the Japanese site that Vectorman was no consolation for the loss of Bare Knuckle after all. Nay... The worst part is that Chaotix will not be on the collection for sure either. Crazy Penguin was right all along.
The absence of Chaotix completely baffles me. The artwork from the cover/manual is on the collection, but not the game itself. Could SEGA be saving Chaotix for an Ultra Sonic Collection, or a 32X Collection? Are they saving it for the Nintendo Revolution's download service along with the Mega CD version of Sonic CD as well? And what of SegaSonic Arcade?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm just now noticing that the console for Vectorman is "SG," for Sega Genesis? Did Vectorman not get released in Japan?
Edit: Never mind, says so right on the page..

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Professor Machenstein wrote:Bad news, men. It appears from the Japanese site that Vectorman was no consolation for the loss of Bare Knuckle after all. Nay... The worst part is that Chaotix will not be on the collection for sure either. Crazy Penguin was right all along.
The absence of Chaotix completely baffles me. The artwork from the cover/manual is on the collection, but not the game itself. Could SEGA be saving Chaotix for an Ultra Sonic Collection, or a 32X Collection? Are they saving it for the Nintendo Revolution's download service along with the Mega CD version of Sonic CD as well? And what of SegaSonic Arcade?
At this point I'm thinking that Chaotix, SegaSonic, Sonic Pocket Adventure, the Saturn/PC versions of Sonic 3D, Sonic Shuffle and the Master System games will probably all end up on Sonic Ultra Collection in two years' time.

The games left off of Gems Collection seriously do look like a blatant attempt to make a third collection that they'll actually be able to market.

Chaotix fits Sonic CD's role of "rare Mega Drive add-on 2D Sonic platformer".

SegaSonic fits Sonic the Fighters' role of "old Sonic arcade game that's never had a console release".

Sonic Shuffle fits Sonic R's role of "quirky multi-player spinoff Sonic game from a failed console".

Sonic Pocket Adventure and the Master System games fill the Game Gear games' role of "8-bit Sonic games to pad out the package".

And then Shinobi, Golden Axe and Ecco the Dolphin will be thrown in just for the heck of it. But the US version won't get Shinobi.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Wouldn't Golden Axe also be a Teen equivalent? It's like Streets of Rage, but with swords.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Let's not forget Sonic Gay Collection, which will include such masterpieces as Wacky Worlds, the Pico games, the patrol cars, Sonic Schoolhouse, and Tiger's tour de force that shares the name of the only Sonic collection actually worth paying for. Trademark non-Sonic related games might include Barney's Hide and Seek, Great Waldo Search, and Cho Aniki (NWS).