More Gems in Sonic Gems Collection

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I like how you used the phrase 'as best'. Your poor grammar makes my penis harder.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Baba! I thought you were pro-grammar, not anti-grammar!

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

The real question is: Just who is Sonic5887?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Locit wrote:Baba! I thought you were pro-grammar, not anti-grammar!
I am pro-grammar. Who needs to walk around with a stark erection all day just because some dumbass can't string a coherent sentence together?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

For anyone wishing to pirate the Japanese version of Gems, here's the torrent:

http://www.sonic-torrent.sytes.net/down ... VD.torrent

It will probably go down in a few days. If the link doesn't work, either create an account on the main site or AIM me.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just to clear this up now apparently the Japanese PS2 version actually features both Sonic CD soundtracks but it depends on the language setting of your PS2 as to which version it plays. It also affects the screentext. According to someone at GameFAQs you can get around this by holding select when you start the game.

EDIT: Apparently this trick only works with certain modchips. For the majority of people it doesn't seem to work.
Last edited by Gaz on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Seriously? Damn. I wasn't going to steal this game, but now...can anyone confirm this?

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'm only going by what other people have said. There's some pics here that show the game with English settings and another set on the next page of the topic where the same guy has hacked the game to change it to Japanese settings. It seems to differ to the extent you get different manual scans. I haven't played it myself so I can't verify any of this.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

The game is in english in an english system, Sonic CD has the american soundtrack, and the menus are in english. My last hope is that the european version has the original soundtrack for sonic CD...

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

The following games are unlocakble

Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball (Genesis)
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis)
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear)
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Drift
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic Blast
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Game Gear)

The catch is that you start on the last level and have 5 minutes of play time. When time runs out, you're kicked off. However, if you finish a game quick enough you can go to the title screen and start at level 1. This seems to indicate that Sonic Team included the games in their entirety on the disk and turned them into demos just to be assholes.

If you thought having to play Sonic 1 and Sonic 3d Blast 20 times each to unlock a game in Mega Collection was stupid and annoying, you won't be disappointed to know that Sonic Team continues to challenge the limits of the word ineptitude with their new system. Vectorman will unlock itself after you've spent 5 hours playing the collection. You'd spend 5 hours playing anyway, you say? Fear not, it gets better! Unlocking items in the museum has been turned into a game in and of itself! Simply perform tedious, arbitrary menu commands given to you by the hint beneath each unlockable. One such task is to play the game on 20 separate days. The supposed appeal of this system is as confusing to me as that of Sonic Jam for the Game.com.

The good news is that both soundtracks of Sonic CD and both versions of manual scans are present on all regions of PS2 and Gamecube disk. The trick is getting them to load. Lots of stuff about mod chips, console versions and regions, and such things I don't know about. Someone else can clear that up.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Last level as in what? Zone? Act? The Super Sonic boss in S&K?

I guess it won't be long until someone hacks the time limit away and we essentially have SMC+ on the disc as well. =O

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I assume their movies section contains nothing but trailers for their upcoming steaming piles of shit.

I heard that they also removed the codes to Sonic CD. So much for keeping close to the console version.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

My vibrations are getting nasty...

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Missing codes? Try missing water in Tidal Tempest. The color layer is gone. From what I understand, you can hardly tell you're underwater.

It is indeed the PC version. So for those of you hoping for the bad future music to start in the race against Metal Sonic, that's out. Even if you switch it to Japanese it won't work, though I've only heard one person say this. That should also mean no sound effects during the closing movie. You can also control whether the game is 30 or 60FPS.

I don't actually care about any of that; I'm just reporting it in that scornful GHZ way.

More on how to access the Japanese content. Apparently it loads the region based on the "Browser" language. The mod chips were working because when you press and hold the select button while booting, it skips the PlayStation 2 logo and goes directly to the game, skipping the browser check. I don't know PS2s, so don't ask me. Gamecubes have no such options however, and I've yet to hear of any success in loading both regions.

Don't know what they mean by last stage.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Missing codes? Try missing water in Tidal Tempest. The color layer is gone. From what I understand, you can hardly tell you're underwater.
What do you Mean? But is the Water effect gone? or just the dark color.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

What about the frequency of the sound effects? Did they improve that?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

The sound effects don't umm.. blur together with the music, just like in the PC version. It's too bad they didn't do it right...

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

OOPS

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

SegaSonic wrote:What do you Mean? But is the Water effect gone? or just the dark color.
Someone from Gamefaqs wrote:The only difference underwater [compared to above water] is that there's bubbles and the background is swirly.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Background is swirly? what does that mean?

Bubbles? in which version?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

SegaSonic wrote:Background is swirly? what does that mean?
I would assume that means either that there are swirls in the background, or the background is swirling. I couldn't have imagined that that would be so hard to guess until I met you.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

SegaSonic wrote:
Bubbles? in which version?
Like in practically every underwater stage in Sonic's games.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I can't really tell any color difference between those two shots, but I also can't tell if it's because of the crappy lighting/camera/focus. Not to knock your effort, because I appreciate it.