Sonic Gems website - PS2, artwork goodies and more

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Probably their excuse for "can we be bothered?"

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Is there a GameCube Japanese converter?

Please?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Are you paying attention? It says "in addition to". If they get the licensing issues sorted out then they'll use both soundtracks. If they don't get the licensing issues sorted out then buying the Japanese version of Sonic Gems Collection won't help now will it?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Licensing issues with whom?
I assume that Keiko Utoku and especially Casey Rankin still have some claim on the two theme songs. Except for that, I'd think that it'd be easier for them to use the Japanese soundtrack than the Nilsen one...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I figured Sega had learned their lesson after Dreams Come True about making sure that they end up with the rights to the music used in their games. These <a href="http://www.oneupstudios.com/albums.php?show=5">1up Guys</a> apparently met with that obstacle when they tried to release an official Sega remix album in the US, they got rights to do music from Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic CD (USA version), but not Sonic 1, presumably because DCT had the rights and no one wanted to jump through the legal hoops and cough up the legal dough to get them. On the other hand though, Sonic 1 music has snuck into most of the Sonic Advance games, so I wonder what sort of arrangement Sega itself has with them. They also aren't having any trouble putting the DCT-owned music in the re-releases of Sonic 1 & 2, so I would assume that whatever deal they got with DCT that allows them to do that would apply for Rankin and Utoku as well.

Sonic You Can Do Anything was remixed for Sega's Radio DC album, and featured in Sonic Jam (meanwhile the USA TV ads were presumably left out for other legal reasons...), so I would assume they've got all the re-distribution rights they could want for that. Naofumi Hatayo still works for Sega in the Wavemaster department, so the possibility that he's giving them trouble is slim to none. They could drop the songs and just keep the BGM if it really came down to it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Whether the original composers are still with Sega or not, doesn't all the music they composed while employed by the company technically belong to the company? I can see how it would be different with DCT because Nakamura was outside talent that they commissioned, but I'm pretty sure Ogata and Hataya were employed by Sega at the time.

Did you read the interview with Nakamura? There's a translated version at Sonic Central. It's kind of interesting, and being that they could round this guy up for an interview on an official site to comment on work he did for them over a decade ago, I guess DCT and Sega are on good terms right now. He seems to suggest that "Sweet Sweet Sweet" was based on the Sonic 2 ending theme, and not vice-versa as I had always assumed.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

There's actually worthwhile content at Sonic Central? When did that happen? Were Sega and DCT ever actually known to be on "bad" terms? As far as not making music for Sonic games goes, it's just economic sense, when DCT got huge it was probably way more profitable to work on their own music than Sega's.
Whether the original composers are still with Sega or not, doesn't all the music they composed while employed by the company technically belong to the company?
I'd assume so, that's why it seems awfully unlikely.

When Zeta Gundam was released on DVD here last year, it was without the OP and ED songs, apparently Sunrise didn't have the rights to distribute the songs in the US because of some fuss with the guy who composed it, he was some bigwig American songwriter and had some friend he wanted to have do the lyrics, but Sunrise had some Japanese singer in mind. I don't know if that dispute actually had anything to do with it, but he ended up with the US rights to a song that was of absolutely no value in the US, and 18 years later suddenly our DVDs don't have opening and ending songs. That's the only sort of creepy thing I can imagine holding back the Japanese soundtrack, and if that's the case, it might be the reason they recomposed the entire thing for the US in the first place? The only thing is the Zeta Gundam guy actually IS somewhat famous, whereas Casey Rankin is, as far as Google is telling me, a total nobody in the US.

More likely, I think Gamespy might just be BSing?

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Why would they BS about this though? Clearly some Sega Rep has told them this, so if anything, it's the Sega Rep that's bullshitting.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Are you paying attention? It says "in addition to". If they get the licensing issues sorted out then they'll use both soundtracks. If they don't get the licensing issues sorted out then buying the Japanese version of Sonic Gems Collection won't help now will it?
DOH! :mad:

CE

Post by CE »

Green Gibbon! wrote:He seems to suggest that "Sweet Sweet Sweet" was based on the Sonic 2 ending theme, and not vice-versa as I had always assumed.
That's just creepy. So he came up with it being a love song *after* he came up with it being the song that's played when Tails rescues Sonic from death.

MUST... SUPPRESS... NAUGHTY IMAGES!!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Do DCT write anything other than love songs?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I don't think so. Not only is Love a reoccuring word used in the albums and singles but they look a bit too loved up and happy on the covers for them.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Yoshida Miwa needs some variety

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ah..He should stop taking interviews and start Making new songs...eh..Maybe not..Or Could he?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Please, keep quiet, and everything's gonna be alright.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

It seems odd that Sega would include Streets of Rage in Gems Collection, as the game has already been released (or is planned for a release) under the Sega Ages label.

However, the Sega Japan SGC page did make reference to multiplayer co-operative modes and a hidden Mega Drive 'masterpiece', both of which would fit the AM7 beat-em-up. ^_^

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

As much as I love Streets Of Rage...

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Eh, how can Streets of Rage be a bad thing?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Because it's not a game that is difficult to find unlike, off the top of my head, Knuckles Chaotix, which is not only rare but also, y'know, a Sonic game.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/626/626243p1.html?fromint=1

All three games will be there. I hope there's an option to choose between the region versions of the games (JP Bare Knuckle vs US/EU Streets of Rage), as there were some huge changes in the third game.

This is really sweet, I'd be willing enough to buy a Streets of Rage Collection on its own.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Awesome! Gems Collection can't come soon enough for me now.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Whatever, you know CP just wants the panty-shots in BK2.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Gems could still possibly include Chaotix, though. After all, the original did have several extra games...

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I can't see any reason why Sega would want to exclude Chaotix, or why they'd intentionally want to include it only as an unannounced unlockable game. I'm guessing that they're having troubles with the emulation and that's why it wasn't announced as the main line-up - if they get it emulated properly before deadline then it can be an unlockable game, if not then it's no big problem for them as they never announced it to be part of the package.

I doubt they even bothered with SegaSonic the Hedgehog.