Sonic Riders!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Dash

Post by Dash »

The Sonic X dub guy. He kinda sounds like Drummond but IMO the passion isn't quite there.

The only thing that really bothers me about the new CG style is how Sonic seems to have proper shoulders. It's not very noticable in motion but it's a bit bothersome to see when he's standing still.
I didn't care for the Shadowesque atmosphere of the city and situation.
I didn't get that feeling from it. It's just a futuristic city at night. Nothing real angsty about that.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Just a quickie (lol) to everyone complaining about the CG looking like plasticine - would you rather them put in all that extra time, effort and money into mapping and rendering "realistic" fuzzy textures just so that you can bitch about the characters looking like they're covered with felt?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'd rather they animate them, or at least use polygons that look animated.

Futuristic cities (in Sonic anyway) usually have colorful lights. The closest thing in that scene was the big ad screen. Once they passed that it was pretty dark and moonlit, the buildings dominated by white and blue lights. The only thing that distinguishes it from an ordinary city is its rounded buildings, arches, and suspended highway. Actually, those big round towers and the constant searchlights in the background are very reminiscent of SatAM's Robotropolis. That's a little too dark for a civilian city.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Sonic Adventure had some nice textures on Sonic that didn't look like felt yet in SA2 and SH they opted for simpler textures that were essentially one shade of blue. I think SA had the right idea with some moderate grains in his spines.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

grains in his spines?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

If you look at the picture on front of the SA DX you can see long indents or "grains" in his spines. I have to agree, it did work well.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Yeah, SA felt closer to the classics than any other.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

You can see the same grains in Heroes, I have a good wallpaper of Sonic's face that shows them well if anyone cares.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Yeah but Heroes models were crap. They wanted to make em look even more realistic than SA but more cartoony at the same time, the result?

shit.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, but you were saying the SA models were the best, but I don't think the grains that Omni was talking about were even put in until SA DX, and those models/textures were quite similar to Heroes.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Frieza2000 wrote:Futuristic cities (in Sonic anyway) usually have colorful lights. The closest thing in that scene was the big ad screen. Once they passed that it was pretty dark and moonlit, the buildings dominated by white and blue lights. The only thing that distinguishes it from an ordinary city is its rounded buildings, arches, and suspended highway. Actually, those big round towers and the constant searchlights in the background are very reminiscent of SatAM's Robotropolis. That's a little too dark for a civilian city.
Heaven forbid it might be night time, when people tend to sleep.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Night time aside, I assumed they kept it somewhat dark so Team Babylon could believably stay in a shroud, making them myterious for the time being... but whatever. "Agree to Disagree" and whatnot.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Light Speed wrote:Yeah, but you were saying the SA models were the best, but I don't think the grains that Omni was talking about were even put in until SA DX, and those models/textures were quite similar to Heroes.
The grains were there, as the picture is just a shot from the intro sequence.I don't get the whole thing about models though, they change anyway, it's experimentation. Sure, Heroes models were a bit elastic and strange but I bet there are model faults in every other Sonic game too.
The only gripe I have is knuckles dreadlocks, apart from that, it works quite well.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

No the grains were in the actual textures used in the Dreamcast original. I've never even played the GCN version nor looked at it closely. Heroes may have had them, but they certainly weren't noticeable and the plasticy-shine was a big negative.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Dash wrote:Night time aside, I assumed they kept it somewhat dark so Team Babylon could believably stay in a shroud, making them myterious for the time being... but whatever. "Agree to Disagree" and whatnot.
Actually, I can agree with you on this point. I know I said I didn't like the atmosphere of the situation, but I'm not really ready to pass judgment on it until I see where it goes from there. There were some things I wasn't crazy about, but it's far from a travesty.
One Classy Bloke wrote:Heaven forbid it might be night time, when people tend to sleep.
That would certainly explain the blaring, pointless searchlights bordering the horizon.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, based on the actual levels I've seen, the game doesnt look that dark and/or evilynesser.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

SegaSonic wrote:Yeah but Heroes models were crap. They wanted to make em look even more realistic than SA but more cartoony at the same time, the result?

shit.
Compared to the models in the Saturn version of Sonic R, as well as in the 3-D of Sonic Jam, ANYTHING looks better. Heroes looks better than those games anyday. The plastic look to everything sucked in Heroes, but otherwise they weren't much worse than Sonic Adventure's.

Dash

Post by Dash »

SA's, R's, and Jam's models weren't terrible at the time they were made. In fact they still don't really cause great pain to my eyes.

BTW, the Riders movie isn't so dark in non-shit resolution.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Damn. Complaint withdrawn.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

IGN have a few of Sonic Rider's theme songs.

Jet's ending theme is the only new one and it sounds rubbish.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Dash wrote:SA's, R's, and Jam's models weren't terrible at the time they were made.
I'll argue with Jam's, but you're right about R (if you refer to the PC version) and Adventure.

Ryan the Game Master

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

ATTENTION! SONIC RIDERS HANDS-ON!

To compensate for the Shadow beanie that I didn't get, the manager of the GameStop I go to gave me the last Rdiers demo disc they had. Unfortunately, it was the PS2 version. (I have an Xbox.) But, they were nice, so they let me use theirs for ten minutes. I was able to play Metal City as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Wave before my time was up. Amy, Jet, Storm and Robotnik were playable, too, but I didn't get a chance to check them out. I'll break this down into sections.

Graphics

Not as smooth up close, but the character models look great in motion. The overall feel of the game got intense quickly, and the turbulence effect was very cool looking. And, get this: NO SLOWDOWN. This is a PS2 demo, mind you, so that's a good thing.

Audio

The music was very well done, and served its purpose quite well. As for the voices, I'll only describe Wave and Storm, since the others are obvious to figure out by now.

Wave sounds somewhat like Blaze...if Blaze were a snobbish smartarse.

Storm, of course, has a big burly voice.

Finally (and listen carefully), NO ANNOUNCER. Perhaps it was just for the demo, but I heard no announcer in sight.

Gameplay

First off, the controls. I had no idea what the heck I was doing, so it took me the exact 10 minutes to get the hang of it. I still don't know how to do tricks, though.

Second, the rider types. Speed types and flight types are more or less the same depending on where you go. Power types are easier to use since they automatically knock over any crap that's in your way.

I'd have had a much easier time if the control scheme was mapped out for me, but it's a demo. Can't expect too much.

All in all, I see great things for this title. I recommend just waiting for the game to come out and not nitpicking and being judgemental about a few little issues that barely have an effect on how you play the damn thing.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Game Master wrote:I heard no announcer in sight.
Wonderful.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Gaz wrote:IGN have a few of Sonic Rider's theme songs.

I only listened to the beginning of that Jet track but it was nearly making me vomit. Hopefully there's a few decent tracks in the game somewhere.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

James McGeachie wrote:
Gaz wrote:IGN have a few of Sonic Rider's theme songs.

I only listened to the beginning of that Jet track but it was nearly making me vomit. Hopefully there's a few decent tracks in the game somewhere.
PUMPKIN IN THE ALLEY