Sonic Rush Adventure E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So yeah, how exactly DID those fellas in the original Sonic Team pull it off?... Coming up with a character that isn't incredibly generic isn't exactly an easy thing to do, I've found, but regardless it's something I'd like to have done at some point. Bodes well for moving on to more original work than fan characters, I'd think.
I think what made the original character so unique is that it was a random superpower assigned to a totally unrelated animal. Hedgehog + Superspeed, Fox + Flight, Echidna + Superstrength. Then most of their appearence was designed around their power rather than their species, with their animal species being mostly incidental. The only other character who reasonably falls into this pattern of design is Blaze. Nearly every other character since then has been Animal Stereotype = Ability, so they only work on one level instead of two. Er - not counting Shadow and Silver of course, who are just clones of Sonic in terms of appearence and design.

I mean, we have a gliding bat, fishing cat, strong alligator, invisible chameleon, flying bee, flying rabbit (using ears to fly is a pretty generic cartoon concept), etc. etc. It'd be like going back in time and making Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles a Cheetah, Bird, and Gorilla, respectively. It'd lose a lot of its quirky charm.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Vector is an awesome character, though. Find a way to factor this into your argument or it falls flat.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Well he was one of the originals, he just had his powers and abilities assigned years after he was originally designed.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

His abilities and looks where very original in chaotix, although one of his abilities was climbing the tackle attack in all directions was nice.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Somehow, I think it would have been better if Blaze was a more obscure animal like a fossa than simply a cat. It seem's sorta oridinary to have a cat in this cast with no legendary physical deformities no matter what her gimmick power is.

Then again, Big was a cat though admitably he has one of the more unique designs in this franchise.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I really do feel that Blaze is about the only character worthy of being put aside Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles and I think Zeta's formula has hit the nail on the head.

I'd also like to add that the same species shouldn't be used more than once.

At the same time though, I feel like Amy, Shadow, Espio, Vector, Big, E-102, and possibly a few other characters I can't think of all have their place in the Sonic universe.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

My problem with Blaze's design (especially when placed with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) is that it's too complicated. It's a good design, but comparing to Sonic's Felix-esque simplicity, Blaze sticks out like a sore thumb. The Chaotix are also guilty of this in their re-designs (though I like the newer Vector's cleaner proportions).

This isn't directly related to my point, but wasn't the point of giving Sonic and Eggman simplistic designs in the original games so that younger children could easily draw them?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I have a feeling that they are retiring certain characters to make room for new ones though. I remember hearing from another person who was was hypothesizing that the less popular charcters Big and the Chaotix was gone to make room for Blaze, Silver, and I guess Marin fits into this.

Though M&S at the Olympics and Sonic RPG could prove me wrong.

But if they are going to keep Blaze and Silver, could they at least retcon them so they are part of the present/same dimension as the regular Sonic crew? I could do without the game series having some time traveling/dimension sliding as a plot point in every game. There's no need for the games to borrow more of the worse aspects of Archie comics, please. =(
BR wrote:My problem with Blaze's design (especially when placed with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) is that it's too complicated. It's a good design, but comparing to Sonic's Felix-esque simplicity, Blaze sticks out like a sore thumb. The Chaotix are also guilty of this in their re-designs (though I like the newer Vector's cleaner proportions).
I guess you could say the same thing about Eggman's SA design also--though some people critize that also. Heh, I remember people saying that Blaze would fit more in the Klonoa cast than the Sonic one.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Ngangbius wrote:I guess you could say the same thing about Eggman's SA design also--though some people critize that also. Heh, I remember people saying that Blaze would fit more in the Klonoa cast than the Sonic one.
I think it works with Eggman, since he's human and it's hard to make simplistic clothing that doesn't look stupid. He can afford to have a little flair to his costume, since he's not really going to blend in with the rest of the cast anyway- the 360 design goes too far, though. Actually, the only thing I liked about the 360 design was that they got rid of the goggles on his head. He looks better bald. To me, anyway.

Either way, the contrast with Blaze (or Eggman for that matter) isn't as bad as, say, the more traditional "furry" designs in both the Archie and Fleetway universes.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Well, I can't argue with that last sentence.

Badnik

Post by Badnik »

Well it appears we wnt just be getting 3 new characters but 4
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2007 ... 4,0,0.html
look at the first picture on the left, now look at the bottom right
personally i think that a kolola would be a perfect fit in the sonic universe
because for one thing he is a fucking kolola

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

These were already posted here...
Ngangbius wrote:Not exactly from E3, but here's some new Famitsu scans originally from neoGAF:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9490 ... kediq9.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3061 ... kedfc3.jpg

Can someone translate Racoony's name?

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Badnik wrote:Well it appears we wnt just be getting 3 new characters but 4
yeh man kololas r awsome!1

Also, I'm still waiting for someone to translate the famitsu scans.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Badnik wrote:Well it appears we wnt just be getting 3 new characters but 4
Am I the only one who thinks that island in the upper pics looks vaguely familiar?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, it's vaguely similar to Dragon Roost Island from <i>The Wind Waker</i>, perhaps.

I notice that it's called "Southern Island", too. Which would not bother me at all if it wasn't for how close to "South Island" it is...

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

http://www.cubed3.com/news/8137/1/Sonic ... _Adventure_

A rather uninformative interview for anyone who's interested.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wow, I had the Soft museum one and maybe the splash graden one too.

That person mustve played alot.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

http://segadirect.jp/Catalog/CustomPage ... ad_nds.htm

Courtesy of a Gamefaqs poster, the rest of the level names are all confirmed here. Some of these levels sounds fairly interesting I must admit. It's been noted however that none of the tracks have the funky names of the Naganuma ones, so coupling that with the relatively lame music from the E3 trailer, you can probably deduce that he is not developing the music for this game, which is a pity.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

What's the second thing on the list that's included with their 3 packages of the game(not the mouse pad)? Bablefish won't translate it and I can't really figure out what it is. I'll guess it's a useless pirate sticker/badge.

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Kogen wrote:What's the second thing on the list that's included with their 3 packages of the game(not the mouse pad)? Bablefish won't translate it and I can't really figure out what it is. I'll guess it's a useless pirate sticker/badge.
Yeah, it's just called a "pirate badge" on the site.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/sonicrushadv/

The official site is up. I like first theme, but the rest is generic crap really. Also the ice level looks fairly dull and lifeless in the shots they've put up, though I'll reserve judgement until we see some videos.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Doesn't the second music feel like a mix between "La Bamba" and the theme from Katamari Damacy?

Maybe a bit of Jet Set Radio too. Who's composing this? Hideki Naganuma?

EDIT: Every Southern Island native character says "mate" or "matey" a lot. So I'm just assuming Souther Island is some kind of Australia. Which is nice.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Duh, I better finish Sonic Rush in the next month...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Is it too much to hope that since the game takes place on islands that the bottomless pits will disappear?

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

So, instead she just talks a lot
Is Sega trolling us for complaining about side characters talking all the time in recent games?