NiGHTS related poll on Sega.com

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Because NIGHTs thrives on nostalgia. It was an OK game, but it wasn't the greatest game of all time, or even it's time, really.

Even a remake would no doubt meet with fanboyish wining when people realize it isn't as good as they remembred it. People have built it up into their minds into this life-changing piece of exquisite art simply because it was underated, overlooked, and on a doomed system. Along with Naka's refusing to do a sequel, that's garnered it an undue mystique. If they did a remake, you'd hear bitching and whining about them "screwing it up" so people could justify it not being as good as they remembered or were told.

I think that's part of the reason why Naka refused to do a sequel. He realized a lot of the hype from the game came from fanboys building up an underground cult following built on nostolgia and bitterness about being overlooked - a sequel would expose the facts - it was pretty good, but not the pinnicle of interactive entertainment.

Anyways, I bet they dump Claris and Elliot in favor of new kids with new nightmares, characters, and designs - but keep Nights and Reala.

Oh, and they totally need to get the art and character designers who worked on Klonoa to work on this project, if they're available. The Klonoa series to me, has always had the same sort of art, character, and story design that it seems to have NiGHT's spirit, if not it's flying aspect.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

You know, one of the main reasons I've ever even wanted to play NiGHTS was finding out whether it's main character was male or female. I still haven't found out.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

You don't. To quote the story section of the European manual:

"But what is NiGHTS? A spirit? A memory? Whatever he, she or it is..."

I still play NiGHTS a lot, and still rate it as my favourite game ever. It's intensely satisfying to play. It certainly doesn't have universal appeal, though. And I'm not especially interested in a sequel.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The official response is that NIGHTs is a hermaphrodite. It's both genders at once.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, a different magazine (NGamer) is now running a similar sort of teaser for THEIR next issue:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=14708

So I guess this isn't an April Fools Joke. Something is coming out... the only question is whether or not the game they are both hinting at is a NiGHTS sequel.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I would love to see Wii NiGHTs released and meet all expectations, and watch Naka try to take credit for it even after he's washed his hands of the franchise. It'd be fucking hilarious.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

What Zeta said.

Also, I've been trying to work out that NGamer thing since I bought the magazine about three weeks ago and am ashamed that I never thought of NiGHTS.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Zeta wrote:The official response is that NIGHTs is a hermaphrodite. It's both genders at once.
I thought that it was NiGHTS is asexual, and changes genders depending on who he/she/it/potato merges with. Either explanation works with me, but I like the explanation that I read more sensible. Or something.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

FlashTHD wrote:The suspiscious sihlouette...some of those stars look a little off, and April Fools jokes are already trying to be passed off by the major mags. We'll see.
Yeah, I think one mag is trying to pass of a "Mushroom Kingdom Hearts" game onto people...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, but that was ridiculously fucking obvious. And hilarious, too.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

This would be better:

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That looks pretty poorly photoshopped to me. You can still see the original background of Sonic's picture on his glove.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Opa-Opa wrote:This would be better:

That's pretty much been confirmed by several sources, and interviews with the game development staff.

There will probably be a big announcement on Sonic's inclusion via a trailer at whatever game-development show replaces E3..

When does Brawl get released, anyway?
Wikipedia's Smash Bros. Brawl page wrote:
In August 2006, Sakurai and Miyamoto stated that Sega's
Sonic the Hedgehog was the most requested third-party
character to be included. Around the same period of time, Tips
& Tricks reported that Miyamoto has stated Nintendo has actually contacted Sega regarding this, and that they're awaiting a final
decision. Then, in the October 2006 issue of Electronic Gaming
Monthly, he mentioned that "Sega's hedgehog would be the perfect addition to Brawl's cast." An article in the first issue of a Swedish Nintendo Magazine named "+N" makes a report that the known
confirmed characters will be in Brawl, along with Sonic the
Hedgehog as a playable character, though the magazine's
credibility is questioned. Yojiro Ogawa, the director and producer
of Sonic and the Secret Rings was asked by the UK's Official
Nintendo Magazine about to see Sonic appear in Nintendo's
upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl and he said: "In my personal opinion, it would be great to have Sonic in it. But that would really
involve Sonic and Nintendo's management, it's nothing to do
with me!" Yuji Naka, former head of Sonic Team and the chief of
PROPE has said that he wants to see Sonic in the next game. At this point, it is unknown who can give the rights of Sonic.
I also recall reading an article stating that Crash Bandicoot and Megaman will be playable as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Considering Capcom's love of crossover fighting games, I've actually been very surprised that they haven't produced Nintendo and offered to make "Smash Bros vs Capcom" with them.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sonic appearing in Smash Brothers is still not really a sure thing. Sure, everyone working on the game realizes it would be cool, but ultimately it's moolah that will make or break the decision.

Snake is appearing in Smash Brothers because his creator is a fan of the game and personally requested it. His addition probably isn't costing Nintendo much, if anything. After all, Kojima approached THEM, not the other way around. By all accounts, he practically begged for Snake to be included.

Sonic, on the other hand, is a franchise owned by Sega... one that other companies have to pay to license. Sega will probably not be as generous as Kojima was, especially for a game that is going to sell as well as this does. They'll want a big paycheck for that license, especially if Nintendo wants to use Sonic not only in the game itself, but in the game's promotional artwork and advertising.

I just have a gut feeling that Nintendo won't feel that Sonic's appearance is worth Sega's asking price. The game is going to be a hit with or without Sonic... who wants to give Sega a cut of those profits? I hope I'm wrong, though.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Zeta wrote:Considering Capcom's love of crossover fighting games, I've actually been very surprised that they haven't produced Nintendo and offered to make "Smash Bros vs Capcom" with them.
I was kinda hoping that would happen myself, but then they went and said that they aren't making the crossovers any more. There's goes the chances of a Namco X Capcom 2 that might've gotten localized. :sad:

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:Sonic, on the other hand, is a franchise owned by Sega... one that other companies have to pay to license. Sega will probably not be as generous as Kojima was, especially for a game that is going to sell as well as this does. They'll want a big paycheck for that license, especially if Nintendo wants to use Sonic not only in the game itself, but in the game's promotional artwork and advertising.

I just have a gut feeling that Nintendo won't feel that Sonic's appearance is worth Sega's asking price. The game is going to be a hit with or without Sonic... who wants to give Sega a cut of those profits? I hope I'm wrong, though.
This is assuming Sega does want a big cut of SSBB's guaranteed gazillions. Sakurai said he was willing to insert, at most, two more guest characters after Snake into the cast, so I would guess Nintendo was prolly prepared to pony up a decent sum to get two or three extras. This, and Nintendo's got pretty good sales relations with Sega since all of the GC Sonic games (save Riders) are now player's choice, and SA2:B was the system's second biggest seller after SSBM until the rest of the big guns of '02 came out.

The words of Miyamoto and Sakurai carry plenty of weight here, so i'm optimistic. To tell you the truth, SSBB has failed to woo me thus far (I don't see how far they can run with it after the mammoth that was Melee - yet), but they'll have my attention if it comes to light that Sonic's in it, and then i'd be a lot more willing to pick it up...when I can have it for $20 or less.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Going back to Nights...

The first magazine preview seems like a solid indication of something Nights related. The second one looks like something more space related. Unless we want to see Nights 2: Space Adventure I'd have to guess that it's the rumored Star Wars Wii game.

The thought of both a Nights sequal and Sonic in Brawl are both rather exciting. If I remember correctly, there was some talk about trying to put Sonic in Melee but there wasn't time as well as legal troubles. There obviously is enough time for the sequal and the fact that Sonic was the top requested character makes me hopeful still. I really see very little reason why Sega wouldn't let Nintendo put him in there.

Having a character in Smash Bros is a great advertisement. Look what it's done for Fire Emblem. People have even become interested in Ice Climbers. I know Sonic is a little better known that those games, but with Sonic's reputation going down the drain recently...

I think having Crash or Spyro would rather bring down the cast, but Megaman or a Resident Evil character would have to be my second choice for a third-party fighter.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Maybe with Nintendo's inclusion of the Turbografx-16 on the Virtual Console, they'll include Bonk in Brawl!

More seriously, it's too bad this restriction pretty much prevents Tails or Knuckles from getting a spot. I suppose it also keeps out Shadow and Silver, but I find it unlikely they'd put in one of those two over the classic ones... it's not exactly like they would put in a lot of Sonic characters even if they hadn't put this tight a restriction on 3rd-party characters.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

If sonic games were still good, I guarantee you that sonic, knuckles, and tails would be in this game series already.

Also I agree about Crash and Spyro. They are inferior characters on a level that their inclusion in this game would do a great disservice to sonic were he also to be included (saying nothing about their games). The same goes for ratchet and clank and Jack and Daxter, duos I find particularly bland and lame.

Megaman however would be a winning choice.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Gonig off-topic here, but I'd like to see SEGA's take on a Smash Bros type game. Why every company hasn't done their own Smash Bros. after the first two SB games were so successul, i don't know..

Fighters:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower
Knuckles the Echinda
Dr. Eggman
Amy Rose
Ulala
Pudding
Beat
Gum
Yo-Yo
the cast of Samba de Amigo
Ryo Hazuki
Ren
Lan Di
Pai
NiGHTS
Reala
Vectorman
PSO characters
Toejam
Earl
HotD zombie
Kid Chameleon
Billy Hatcher
Hoigle and Moigle
The Gungrave Guy

Unlockables:
Classic Eggman
Super Sonic
Chu Chu Rocket! Cat
Alex Kidd
Metal Sonic
Classic Amy

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
Last edited by cjmcray on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Sega already did, way before Nintendo ever did. It was called Fighters Megamix on the Saturn.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Segaholic2 wrote:Sega already did, way before Nintendo ever did. It was called Fighters Megamix on the Saturn.
Yeah, but it lacked classic SEGA stars like Vectorman, Toejam and Earl, NiGHTS, Alex Kidd, etc. To my recollection, it was just Virtua fighter with Sonic and one or two obscure characters thrown in.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Nintendo vs. Sega, maybe?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

FlashTHD wrote: To tell you the truth, SSBB has failed to woo me thus far (I don't see how far they can run with it after the mammoth that was Melee - yet), but they'll have my attention if it comes to light that Sonic's in it, and then i'd be a lot more willing to pick it up...when I can have it for $20 or less.
Speaking about this, I'm amazed that SSBM, a launch game is still one of the best selling GCN games and that it never dropped to the Player's Choice price of $20.
Radrappy wrote: The same goes for ratchet and clank and Jack and Daxter, duos I find particularly bland and lame.
While I don't really care for most the J&D cast and universe for being too over-the-top serious, I am curious to know why you think R&C are bland and lame characters?