E3 Sonic Next-Gen trailer on XBOX Live Marketplace

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Yes, some. But the parts that are actually true only touch around a quarter of the game's story.

On the flip side, I am horribly pessimistic about this game now. The controls are a disgrace, and if they don't improve, we're looking at something worse than Shadow. I got to play the E3 demo, and i was terrified. Sonic was bordering uncontrollable. Silver was a lot more fun though. Probably because i had no major expectations of him opposed to Sonic.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Well at least now I feel no great rush to pick up a 360.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Did yo play the 360 version or the PS3 version? I heard the 360 one was easier to control, and in Sazpaimon's videos (360 ver.) he seemed to have no proble controlling Sonic.

Also, if you had to compare the story to any other one, what would it be?
And how does it stand up to the other Sonic games, story-wise? are we talking melodramatic and cliched like Shadow or something more along the lines of the Adventure games?
Just curious.

OSM

Post by OSM »

One Classy Bloke wrote:Yes, some. But the parts that are actually true only touch around a quarter of the game's story.

On the flip side, I am horribly pessimistic about this game now. The controls are a disgrace, and if they don't improve, we're looking at something worse than Shadow. I got to play the E3 demo, and i was terrified. Sonic was bordering uncontrollable. Silver was a lot more fun though. Probably because i had no major expectations of him opposed to Sonic.
Oh jesus let me make a few suggestions.
1.) The homing attack needs serious work. You need to make sure that Sonic hits his target without falling or missing it. Maybe add a targeting system in it? Kinda like Zelda. I dunno, just no HP crap.
2.) Whenever Sonic misses a jump in the speedup areas, he kinda lags on the wall, like he stands there for a brief second then walks across it. VERY buggy.
3.) When Sonic gets knocked down or hit, he flashes then the controls kinda spiral outta control. Also when I was watching the gameplay video, Sonic was getting hit by EVERY enemy bullet, nothing happened. Definately work on that.
4.) The way Sonic is controlled when he goes super fast, like a horrible racing game. Give that control more freedom, basically move and turn with great ease whilst running incredibally fast.
5.) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, since this game might have boss battles in it with Eggy, make em side scrolling. Sorry but I don't see a 3d Eggman fight working out succesfully. Give it a side scrolling look and challenging like the old bosses.
6.) Bring back the classic Spindash. Crouch then mash the button a thousand times to rev up, then shoot off.

Take these suggestions from a Sonic fan since the Genesis. Sonic has been a huge part of my childhood, and I'm still a fan today of the series. If this game ends up sucking, I'm giving up all hope on Sonic Team, AND Sega. If you guys need more time on the game, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DELAY. The game is called "Sonic the Hedgehog," seeing a game suck, with the series main character's name as the freaking title, makes all your efforts worth shit. So even if you need too, delay. Nintendo's new Zelda game pwns pretty damn hard. Why? Because they delayed, and with so much time, they made the game a thousand times better then before. You guys at Sonic Team can do the same. You still got that flare and talent you had back in Sonic's glory days, you just gotta push the envelope a bit harder.

So please, work hard on this game, and delay if you need too. This game sounds really promising plotwise, hearing it suck gameplay wise pretty much is huge downer.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

OCB doesn't develop games at Sega, he just play tests them.

OSM

Post by OSM »

I know that, just asking if he would make those suggestions to the team.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Oh, here we go again, I almost can see how they'll start flaming him just like TailsMcCloud and everyone else.
OSM, for your mental sake, DO NOT TAKE ANYONE HERE SERIOUSLY!! (He, ain't I a good boy-scout ^_^)

Oh, and I don't think One Classy Bloke can get to do any contact with SONICTEAM either, so your whining here's utterly useless. Maybe if you mail them they could (I bet they won't) understand your request, but even if they did I wouldn't expect them to take it seriously if I were you.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

OSM wrote:I know that, just asking if he would make those suggestions to the team.
The game is being developed in Japan, and being primarily playtested by Japanese testers, from what he's said. OCB is part of Sega UK, and it doesn't officially start testing in his department for another two months, I believe.

Any tweaks requested will likely fall on deaf ears.

One Classy Bloke

Plorpus III wrote:Did yo play the 360 version or the PS3 version? I heard the 360 one was easier to control, and in Sazpaimon's videos (360 ver.) he seemed to have no proble controlling Sonic.

Also, if you had to compare the story to any other one, what would it be?
And how does it stand up to the other Sonic games, story-wise? are we talking melodramatic and cliched like Shadow or something more along the lines of the Adventure games?
Just curious.
I got to play the 360 version. I kinda doubt we have any PS3 dev kits at all.

Story wise, i'd say it's between Adventure 1 and 2. Despite whats been leaked, it actually develops in a decent manner. The way Sonic and Shadow act when they are forced to work together is pretty decent. Shadow still seems to be pretty serious, but he's improved alot from his emo days.

As for those suggestions, i'm afraid that even if i was working on the game right now, they would fall on deaf ears. Developers tend to be pretty arrogant about their code, so we're not allowed to offend them. Of course, it's not like ignoring us will prevent them from creating a shitty game. And they should listen to us and fix major design flaws, or they can get shitty reviews. While i have yet to work with Sonic Team yet, i hear they are the most arrogant of most developers.

Something of point though, is that games can vastly improve in 6 months. By the time i get my hands on the near complete game, it'll probably be decent gameplay wise. I'll keep you guys updated.

P.S. Buy Sega games. Super Monkey Ball Adventure is awesome and should be played by everyone constantly.

Espio

Post by Espio »

One Classy Bloke wrote: Developers tend to be pretty arrogant about their code, so we're not allowed to offend them.
Why, why, why cant Sonic Team/SEGA try to copy Nintendo, Rare, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, or someone..., when it comes to making 3D-platform games?? It would have been soooo damn nice to play a really good Sonic game again. :roll:

(...)toolazytologin

Post by (...)toolazytologin »

As for those suggestions, i'm afraid that even if i was working on the game right now, they would fall on deaf ears. Developers tend to be pretty arrogant about their code, so we're not allowed to offend them. Of course, it's not like ignoring us will prevent them from creating a shitty game. And they should listen to us and fix major design flaws, or they can get shitty reviews. While i have yet to work with Sonic Team yet, i hear they are the most arrogant of most developers.
What? Dude, no offence, but what kind of QA testers do you have working there? Arrogance or not, if one of your people enters "the controls don't work properly" as a bug, then they HAVE to fix it.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

I don't recall if it was OCB who mentioned this or someone else who works as a game tester, but there have been times that programmers had refused to fix certain "control issues" that were brought to their attention by game testers. Basically, a suggestion put forth to fix and/or improve a certain play mechanic fell on deaf ears, and the game was released regardless.

Part of it could be arrongance, another could very well be the publisher riding their asses to get the game out.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

(...)toolazytologin wrote:
What? Dude, no offence, but what kind of QA testers do you have working there? Arrogance or not, if one of your people enters "the controls don't work properly" as a bug, then they HAVE to fix it.
And risk the chance of getting fired from an over-zealous coder's complaint? QA testers are far more expendable than coders are.

(...)toolazyetcetc

Post by (...)toolazyetcetc »

And risk the chance of getting fired from an over-zealous coder's complaint? QA testers are far more expendable than coders are.
They are, but has a QA tester ever actually been fired for doing their job too well?

OSM

Post by OSM »

One Classy Bloke wrote: As for those suggestions, i'm afraid that even if i was working on the game right now, they would fall on deaf ears. Developers tend to be pretty arrogant about their code, so we're not allowed to offend them. Of course, it's not like ignoring us will prevent them from creating a shitty game. And they should listen to us and fix major design flaws, or they can get shitty reviews. While i have yet to work with Sonic Team yet, i hear they are the most arrogant of most developers.
That's a shame. Oh well, beggers can't be choosers.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Story wise, i'd say it's between Adventure 1 and 2. Despite whats been leaked, it actually develops in a decent manner. The way Sonic and Shadow act when they are forced to work together is pretty decent. Shadow still seems to be pretty serious, but he's improved alot from his emo days.
Excellent, it has been a long painful wait for this occurence. Shadow doesn't drive a jeep the entire time though, does he?

OSM

Post by OSM »

Wooduck51 wrote:
Excellent, it has been a long painful wait for this occurence. Shadow doesn't drive a jeep the entire time though, does he?
Wait this is a sequel to Sonic Adventure and a prequel to Sonic Adventure 2?! What the fuck!

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

(...)toolazyetcetc wrote:
They are, but has a QA tester ever actually been fired for doing their job too well?
I'd say it's far more likely a QA tester would than a coder.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

No... he means the quality of the storyline is worse than Sonic Adventure, but better than Sonic Adventure 2.

OSM

Post by OSM »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:No... he means the quality of the storyline is worse than Sonic Adventure, but better than Sonic Adventure 2.
Oh, gotcha.

Post by Guest »

Zarathustra wrote:Oh, here we go again, I almost can see how they'll start flaming him just like TailsMcCloud and everyone else.
OSM, for your mental sake, DO NOT TAKE ANYONE HERE SERIOUSLY!! (He, ain't I a good boy-scout ^_^)

Oh, and I don't think One Classy Bloke can get to do any contact with SONICTEAM either, so your whining here's utterly useless. Maybe if you mail them they could (I bet they won't) understand your request, but even if they did I wouldn't expect them to take it seriously if I were you.
Ok um...thanks?

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:No... he means the quality of the storyline is worse than Sonic Adventure, but better than Sonic Adventure 2.
it's the Plot hole(s) isn't it...

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

The storyline thing was pretty shocking with SA as it was the first time ever to be so... complex, to say. That won't work again unless it has almost an RPG storyline structure.
But I'm not sure if I want that either... maybe this is the deepest reason why most people simply want "classical Sonic", but then they go and start developing Sonic Rivals...
As always, it almost seems like if someone was cursing Sonic or something.

One Classy Bloke

(...)toolazyetcetc wrote:
Yes.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

There seems to be a rumour that the new hedgehog is a female character called Nova. Seems false to me though mostly because of this:
I would, but i'm not certain on it's role, or if it even is a hedgehog. From the CG art they had, it is looking pretty sweet though. It's name is original too, although i can't spell it for the life of me.
Yeah, "Nova" is such a hard word to spell.

EDIT: The same guy has also posted how the game ends. Obviously, mega spoilers if it's true but somehow I doubt that. It just reads like really bad fan fiction.