How would things be different if...?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

(and evidently Sonic Team agrees with me since they remixed it in SA for WV and TP)
Jun Senoue was one of the composers for 3D Blast.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

chriscaffee wrote:It had some flaws, but there were some cool parts to it. The graphics were beautiful, the expansion on the Flickies was pretty good, the music was really good (and evidently Sonic Team agrees with me since they remixed it in SA for WV and TP), and the overall gameplay was decent.
Of course the music was awesome. Richard Jacques.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'd like to see (or hear) the Final Fight or Rusty Ruin music in later games aswell. The music actually seemed atmospheric, a technique that was pretty much perfected in S3 in my opinion.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Like all ideas, [Sonix X-Treme] had potential.
What about the holocaust?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Quiet, you.

I actually enjoyed 3D Blast somewhat once I stopped trying to play it like a Sonic game.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

When I picked up 3D blast, it had been many years since I'd played a new Sonic game. I was so thrilled to get it that I didn't even notice how strange the gameplay was. I didn't find the game at all annoying. I enjoyed it, and still enjoy it on occasion.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's not a terrible game. It's just not a brilliant one, and not particularly Sonicy in any fashion beyond the visuals.

I'm as curious to play X-Treme as the next guy, but when you look at the gameplay footage, there's precious little to encourage crazy ideas about it being any good. There's just no way that a speedy character like Sonic can work on a four-way axis. Pinpoint 90 degree turns at high speeds... it would be like turning the Sonic series into a 3D Nibbles.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

OK, next question:

How would things be different if Sonic Team gave Sonic the five-year break they were planning on giving him in the early-mid-90's?

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

But they did that. Sonic Adventure has a 4 years away from Sonic and Knuckles... Sega is the one who screamed "MORE GAMES" at Travellers Tales etc.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

When I first saw Sonic Adventure I certainly felt like there hadn't been any <i>real</i> Sonic content for the last four years.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure, I basically didn't care about the character or the franchise. So, yeah, it was a break for me, too.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

^Ditto

In fact I think the time between Sonic 3 and S&K was when my interest in Sonic was starting to die down.

muke

This post is way too long

Post by muke »

Sorry, didn't see that this went on for another page!

I do agree with Kishi in that X-Treme would have been awsome, but many jokes about the ridicolus (major spelling error) title would have occured. I'm too lazy to go back and quote her, so screw you if you were about to post "why don't you quote him/her?"

Also, if X-Treme had come out in time, then maybe the Saturn would have sold a few more units and maybe, just maybe X-treme would be ported onto the DS/PSP.

To answer the five-year hiatus question; all ideas need a break (save Mario, of course, they could just put out game after game with the only variations being either putting them on karts or adding some small gimmick and people will still think it's brilliant), and the Blue Blur is one of them. They could (and probably should now) shelf him for about ten years, giving the designers time to think of something else other than team play, and bring him back with the main selling point being its "retro" appeal for the masses, but a return to quality for the Sonic elite. The only exception that I would like to see in that ten year sabattical would be a decent kart game. I know it sounds stupid, but seeing as I am a master at any and all Mario Karts (I don't even own any besides Double Dash and the GBA version of the SNES original), I would like to go to somebody's house for a track dinner or something and have them whip out Sonic Drift 3 on XBOX so I can hand everyone's heads to them with my favorite Sonic characters instead of always beating the crap out of people with Toad!

minnietguinea

Post by minnietguinea »

As for X-Treme, I think it would have sold more Saturn Units if it had been good, perhaps the engine problems would be fixed, we'd have one more good game to look back on, NiGHTS would be later (but better?) and the Dreamcast wouldn't have died nearly as quickly. PERHAPS....Sega would still be making consoles?
If it had been bad, it would have been one more nail in Sega's hardware coffin. At worst, the Saturn might have died out before the Dreamcast was ever created, and NiGHTS would be abandoned because the engine for X-Treme failed.
As for the break....five years would have been better than four. More time to perfect Sonic Adventure, which would have made it all the more brilliant.
As for the Holocaust....
Anything any one person believes is true to that person. Therefore, if one person truly believed that the world needed purging of everyone but the Aryan race, than it had potential in that one person's mind. And it's true...the Jews, Handicapped, etc. were not the only ones. Hitler, when asked who the enemy would be once the then current ones were gone replied that he would "create one from saline characteristics."
Sad, sad world.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

True to one person does not mean truth.

Someone may have their own opinion, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck major dongle.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I know I gave this its own topic, but I believe it's still relevant.

Carl with a K

Post by Carl with a K »

I think that you should start posting that picture in every topic. It would only make the forum that much more kick ass.

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Next question:

How would things be different if J hadn't have posted that picture in the first place?

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

In fact, how would things be different if that guy in the photo didn't exist? (not J, the one with the 'tache)

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

And so began the plotline for a million bad war novels.

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Cypher wrote:In fact, how would things be different if that guy in the photo didn't exist? (not J, the one with the 'tache)

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

How would things be different if I wasn't such a fat, ugly, moronic fucktard?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

AHH GIANTS ARE TAKING OVER THE PLANET

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Esrever wrote:It's not a terrible game. It's just not a brilliant one, and not particularly Sonicy in any fashion beyond the visuals.

I'm as curious to play X-Treme as the next guy, but when you look at the gameplay footage, there's precious little to encourage crazy ideas about it being any good. There's just no way that a speedy character like Sonic can work on a four-way axis. Pinpoint 90 degree turns at high speeds... it would be like turning the Sonic series into a 3D Nibbles.
But X-Treme's bumpy track record (being denied the NiGHTS engine, having to have the game done by Christmas '96) didn't really afford it the time to really blossom. Arguably what we saw in those videos were still the earliest of technology tests. I mean, in both videos floating around, Sonic barely has collision detection with the levels themselves - nevermind objects like rings and enemies, which he passes clean through several times.

The game wasn't even far enough to where you could really even say, "All it needed was a lot of polish" - there wasn't anything there to actually polish, yet. I think one of the two or three interviews on the subject said that when the game was canned, only one or two levels were "finishable" - the rest were all very incomplete. And the two levels that were "done" were really bare-bones layouts; no detail or tweaking.

If the game had more time to mature properly and was given the appropriate amount of attention from programmers, it might've turned out rather well. I mean, to me, X-Treme seems to say: these guys got it, on some level. They knew what made Sonic unique (the physics engine that allowed you to run across any surface in any direction) and were attempting to expand on that mechanic to bring the gameplay in to the 3rd dimension.

Or, it might've turned out sub-par, like another Chaotix. It was killed too early to really tell.