Blood, Sweat and Tits: in Black and White!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Grant

Blood, Sweat and Tits: in Black and White!

Post by Grant »

So, I saw Sin City last night and it was fucking amazing. Definitely one of the most original, stylish and violent flicks I've ever seen. If you're not familiar, the film is a bit like Pulp Fiction in that it has three separate stories: The Hard Goodbye, The Big Fat Kill and That Yellow Bastard.

Big Fat Kill was easily the weakest of the three, but all of them are great. I couldn't stop laughing throughout The Hard Goodbye, though and I'm not sure why. The dialogue is cheesy - but intentionally so - and at times I was thinking how Sin City is the greatest B-movie (with A-list actors) of all time. I can't explain exactly why the movie rocked me to multiple orgasms, other than to say that the movie just oozes cool.

I haven't read many of the original comics, but I was also struck by how many shots I noticed were exactly like the panels of what I had read. The Roger Eberts of the world aren't shitting you when they say that this literally looks like a coimic come to life and it actually took a few minutes for me to properly adjust to the film's distinct style.

For those of you that haven't seen it: seriously, plan to see it today. For those of you that have seen it, what'd you think?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I've heard nothing but good things.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

One of the best I ever seen. I have no bad words to post.
Although I like most Willis films this is one of the greatest.
Last edited by Omni Hunter on Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chix0rgirl
Awesome Girl

Post by chix0rgirl »

I loved it. Now I want to see it again. And again. :D

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I've read all the comics, and this movie met all my very high expectations. It will knock you down and then kick you in the nuts.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Tits? It's got nekkid boobies?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I was going to see it yesterday, but I couldn't. Hopefully today though.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Tits? It's got nekkid boobies?
Lots of boobies, in fact. I think there's only two - Jessica Alba and the Gilmore Girl actress - that don't show some nipple.

chix0rgirl
Awesome Girl

Post by chix0rgirl »

So go watch it. You know you want to.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

Loved the film. I highly recommend it. I’m not even into the comics, but this film makes me want to get into them now.

However, with that said, did anybody else feel that Michael Madsen was really off in his performance in the beginning of the film? At first, I thought the movie was going to have all this over the top acting (which it does), but not to the extent that Madsen portrayed. It felt like he was literally reading of the cue' cards. I love Michael Madsen, but that's sorta bothering me a bit.

Oh, and for all you Frank Miller/Sin City buffs, can you explain to me what Josh Hartnett's character is all about, and what he has in significance to the storyline? I’m ashamed to admit that I felt a bit confused at the end of the movie.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

SuperKnux, I agree with you on Michael Madsen. He completely messed up the tone of that scene.

There's nothing to get about Josh Hartnett's character. The opening sequence with the girl in the red dress is a three-page short story titled "The Customer is Always Right" from the book The Babe Wore Red. It's just as ambiguous as it was in the movie, so you can interpret it any way you like. He's an assassin though, that's for sure.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I totally agree about Madsen as well. Watching that scene with him at the beginning of the film really made me nervous about how the acting was going to turn out. Fortunately, it was the only seriously weak acting in the whole film.

I thought it was neat how they used the Customer story to set up Josh's character at the beginning, just so that they could use him again at the end. That was slick.

It was kind of weird how Nancy didn't get topless in the film. It's only a small thing, but somehow, it made her character seem more innocent.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Brilliant. Fucking. Film.

Don't know what else to say.

Dache

Post by Dache »

What part did Tarantino direct in this, so I know what to look out for when it opens here? Kinda curious, since he's never used digital sets before.

(He directed a part of the film for $1, as part of a deal he and Rodriguez came up with -- it was his half after Rodriguez scored Kill Bill vol 2 for the same price)

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Tarantino directs the scene with Dwight and Jackie-Boy having a conversation in the car.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

To describe it in a way that won't spoil the film for you: it's a scene in the second story, where Dwight is driving and talking to a guy in the passenger seat.

Apparently, the reason Rodriguez specifically wanted a minute of "guest directing" as the way for Tarantino to repay him for the $1 scoring favour was because he wanted Tarantino to give digital film a try.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

More like Rodriguez used this as a way to make Tarantino give digital a try. Tarantino was quite opposed to the idea before this movie.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Isn't that exactly what I said? It was what I meant, at least.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Yeah, I'm stumped.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Just testing something new...

Tarantino directs the scene with Dwight and Jackie-Boy having a conversation in the car.

Does that work for you guys? Mouse over the black block to read the text.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Yes it works.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Works here, too.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Yup.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That's clever, but Esrever pretty much already answered without spoiling anything.

Oh and I loved the movie.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

Nice feature NT. Oh, and thanks for clearing that up about Josh Hartnett's character.

I wish this damn movie would go on DVD already. I want to see it over and over and over again!