Sparkster Petition?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Professor Machenstein

Sparkster Petition?

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Appearently there's someone out there who still remembers the rocket knight. It seems there's a lot of people out there as well. I do admit, I most positively would like to see Sparkster's return. He was the only good Sonic imitation back in the Mega-Drive days. He even spawned his own Newgrounds flash series in Josh Hano's Rocket Knight Adventures and STTWeb's Sonic t. Swordsman. How do you respond to all this?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Bring him back, although controlling the rocket pack will be hard to figure out.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I love Sparkster just as much as everyone else here, but I personally think that he died after his first game. It had just lost it's special... feel...

Aww hell, I'll sign it anyway. My inner fanboy is clawing at my insides.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Damn, and I just signed it, too. *Slits wrists*

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

I love Sparkster. But hell, if he is brought back today, it wouldn't be to great. The current state of the gaming industry would only kill whatever credibilty the Sparkster titles had. It would be watered down to a "Jak 3", "Racket & Clank", or "Shadow the Hedgehog"-qsue level type of plateformer, with nothing to fantastic to look forward to.

The only way I can see a new Sparkster game thrive, is by GBA. But even then, that's a saying a lot.

Anon

I wonder...

Post by Anon »

How would a 3D Sparkster work?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

My point exactly, the flight relies on charging and aiming but this is too complicated in a 3d environment. Or there could be an automatic charge and you could switch between flight and foot. Maybe you could even lock onto enemies with a trigger button and this homes the attack on an enemy or action point.
Although, should it be a linear platform game or a wide roaming game like Zelda?

Professor Machenstein

Why not keep it 2D then? 'Sides, I thought RKA2 and Sparkster for the Super Famicom were great. As for whether or not the petition might work, it just shows how much people care anyway. It doesn't have to work.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How many 2D console games have even come out, much less been a success lately? People don't want to buy 2D games.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

What 2d platform games do you know of nowadays? Although maybe a scrolling 3d style like "Pandemonium" or "Wild 9" may do.

Professor Machenstein

Um... Viewtiful Joe... The Megaman X series...

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Veiwtiful Joe is a new genre that uses the 2d graphics to sell the game.
Megaman has had so many games that capcom have decided on using the tried and tested methods for the games although the new Megaman games are turning 3d in the fight against Astroboy.

Professor Machenstein

Well, there a difference between 2D and side-scrolling. 2D is when the sprites are flat, as well as some elements in the game. Example, Paper Mario is 2D, but the whole entire game is made up of a 3D world. Side-scrolling has no relevence if the game is 2D or 3D. The character can be 3D, but the camera scrolls from the side, which is where the word side-scrolling comes in. So if a new Sparkster came out, then make it side-scrolling. Though it would be really cool if the sprites were 2D and the background was 3D.
Last edited by Professor Machenstein on Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'd say 3d on 3d but I see where you're heading and pretty much agree.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Online petitions. What a way to shake things up. I'm sure RKA 3 is just around the corner now.

Professor Machenstein

An opossum can only dream. Moreso can a shooting star with stretchy hands, or a puppet with a floating head. Of course there's no need for everything to have a sequel.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Actually, I remember this exact poll from a year and a half ago. If it's been going this long without effect I cannot say it's hopeful.
Let's also remember Bubsy that was a pretty decent MD game but the PS sequel came out crap. If you want to play as Sparkster/ Dynamite Heady/ Ristar then play the original as they are works of gaming art to be enjoyed so get an emulation or the actual game.
Also I know that in certain cases like Sonic CD cannot be ported (or so speculation may say) but all I can say to that is "Tough Shit, life's not always fair".
If it comes down to it then your right my dear Machenstain, we can only dream, speculate and hope what a sequel may be like.

Professor Machenstein

I'll always enjoy Mega-Drive sleeper hits for their original games. It's just the endings to games like Ristar and Dynamite always indicate that there might be a sequel. Example: at the end of Dynamite Heady, it shows Maruyama's head being attached to King Dark Demon's castle, activating it and causing his own reign of terror and whatnot. The same way with Ristar when it shows Greedy, Inonysis and Uranium Power stuck on the moon and the stars in the background display a figure that looks like Ristar (If you beat the PAL version, of course).

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I am told that if you beat Shin Contra on the hard setting you see an image of Sparkster fighting the contra guys, which suggests to me that at least somebody at Konami is still fightin' for him.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

That's pretty cool Silv: almost makes me want to buy Contra...

As for the petition, lets face it, an internet petition to get a 16-bit character back into a game-who wasn't that popular in the first place- would be about as effective as Gibbon! marching over to Sega of America's HQ in his underpants pleading with them to put nekid boobies in Shadow's new game.

Edit:Previously forgot the "back into."
Last edited by smiths32 on Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Machenstein

Weeeeeeeeeeeell.... They could reintroduce him but porting RKA and RKA2 on the GameBoy Advance. SEGA did the same thing with Ristar by putting him in Sonic Mega Collection. The idea might not be most considerable, but someone out there has to appeal to us.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

j-man wrote:Online petitions. What a way to shake things up. I'm sure RKA 3 is just around the corner now.
Stole my words.

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Shouldn't it be RKA 4? Or isn't the SNES game considered "canon"?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

The SNES version was more of a slight retelling of the same story as the Genesis version. I wouldn't say they are sequels of each other.