Sparkster Petition?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
User avatar
Omni Hunter
Omnizzy
Posts: 1966
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:50 am
Location: MK, Satan's Layby
Contact:

Post by Omni Hunter »

I had the same thing with Sonic 2. Eveyone had it except me and even when I got it I was'nt allowed to play it until everyone (including parents) had a go.

User avatar
-wyvern
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: England

Post by -wyvern »

At primary school a friend of mind (who briefly checked out this forum) did a very eccentric sparkster comic. I'll see if I can get him to part with it.

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yeeeeeah! I was the only one who didn't have Sonic 2! But people used to lend me catridges for indefinite time periods, heheheh!

User avatar
Dark Crow
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:28 am

Post by Dark Crow »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Nova wrote:Sonic CD can be ported, because there is a PC version^^. Just get the PC version and the patch for XP.
There's a patch for XP? Where?
The patch is at the Sonic Cult website. If you still care, here is a direct link to it.

User avatar
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Crazy Penguin »

But it only has the US soundtrack, so it's not worth it.

User avatar
Dark Crow
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:28 am

Post by Dark Crow »

Is the US soundtrack really that much worse than the Japanese/European one, so much so that it hurts the core game? I've heard (and always though) that they were both good.

User avatar
CM August
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by CM August »

I can certainly stomach Sonic Boom at the very least. In fact, I like that song. Haven't really heard the rest of the US soundtrack (or even the Japanese, save for a few songs) to give a verdict.

User avatar
Segaholic2
Forum God
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 11:28 am
Now Playing: Your mom
Contact:

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'd say they're both pretty much equal in terms of quality. Stylistically, they're very different and therefore open to personal opinion. I like both a lot and don't really care for one over the other.

User avatar
Tsuyoshi-kun
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:33 am
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Location: Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Dark Crow wrote:Is the US soundtrack really that much worse than the Japanese/European one, so much so that it hurts the core game? I've heard (and always though) that they were both good.
The U.S. soundtrack isn't bad, but there's very little transition from present to good future to bad future. Sometimes, the good future would sound like <i>bad</i> future music, which annoyed me long before knowing of the soundtrack switch for the U.S. version. The music sounds like it was rushed, which it probably was, because SEGA was pushing out 3 more Sonic games at almost the same time, and they needed this game out on the market fast.

You Can Do Anything >>>>> Sonic Boom
Cosmic Eternity >>>>> Sonic Boom (Extended)

User avatar
chriscaffee
Posts: 2018
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:43 am

Post by chriscaffee »

Meh they are about the same. It's not like I play(ed) Sonic games for the music anyway.

User avatar
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The US soundtrack isn't too bad, but I equate it to buying a DVD of a foreign film that only contains the dub track.

Personally I find the original soundtrack to be vastly superior, the fact that they match up with the Past tunes that are shared on both versions is a plus too.

User avatar
G.Silver
Drano Master
Posts: 2750
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 12:58 am
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World
Location: warshington
Contact:

Post by G.Silver »

The fact that I liked the Past music more than the CD audio in the US version says to me that I was meant to prefer the Japanese soundtrack from the beginning (and I do) but the US version has a more somber quality to it (if you can even say that about a Sonic soundtrack) and I do like the atmosphere it creates. It doesn't hurt the game as much as it makes it very different.

With the PC version, I'm sure there's a way to edit it (replace the CD tracks, etc) to play the Japanese music, or you could just pick up the Japanese or PAL MegaCD version and run it under an emulator right off the CD.

User avatar
chriscaffee
Posts: 2018
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:43 am

Post by chriscaffee »

The US soundtrack isn't too bad, but I equate it to buying a DVD of a foreign film that only contains the dub track.
I don't really see this as a problem. Subtitles are not the "original vision" nor "the way it was meant to be" for any piece of media. They are both compromises for convience.

I mean it's not like fullscreen or widescreen where there is literally one option that is pure and life-giving and other is total shit. It's like two different piles of shit that have slightly different smells.

User avatar
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 11:39 am
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete
Location: A far eastern land across the sea
Contact:

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Subtitles are not the "original vision" nor "the way it was meant to be" for any piece of media. They are both compromises for convience.
Subtitles are far less a compromise than completely scrapping and replacing the entire voice audio track.

User avatar
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Indeed. And in the case of Sonic CD it wasn't a compromise for convenience, they changed the soundtrack just for the hell of it.

User avatar
Esrever
Drano Master
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:26 am
Contact:

Post by Esrever »

Still... we got two new, good Sonic soundtracks instead of one. That was pretty cool, in the long run at least.

User avatar
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Yeah, it just sucks when you're not given the choice, as with the PC version of Sonic CD. It's getting the DVD with just the dub track.

User avatar
muke
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:54 pm
Location: Salem, birthpalce of the US Navy

Post by muke »

I have both the American and Japanese versions of the game for the Sega CD (I picked up a converted one that can go back and forth between Mega Drive/CD and Genesis/Sega CD. Requires so much power that the fan was replaced with a 3DO one to cool it! Put me out $300) and I say that both of them rock, however, if the Americans were going to change the soundtrack, they should have changed it completely instead of leaving the "past" tracks in there since they sound so out of place with the other songs of that level since each of the four songs (present, past, good future and bad future) are supposed to be slightly different variations of the same song. If they completed "past" tracks for the American version, then I would have preferred it over its Aisan counterpart, but without that change I would have to go with the Japanese version because of its completeness.

I know somebody's going to al;tr (if that's how you say it) this post because it's too long.

User avatar
Grant
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 6:05 pm

Post by Grant »

al;tr

User avatar
Segaholic2
Forum God
Posts: 3513
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 11:28 am
Now Playing: Your mom
Contact:

Post by Segaholic2 »

What the heck does "al;tr" stand for?

User avatar
chriscaffee
Posts: 2018
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:43 am

Post by chriscaffee »

The choice between leaving a body and leaving a witness is no choice at all.

User avatar
Grant
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 6:05 pm

Post by Grant »

Segaholic2 wrote:What the heck does "al;tr" stand for?
all look; the retard!

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:53 pm
Location: Buttse.cx!
Contact:

Post by plasticwingsband »

Segaholic2 wrote:What the heck does "al;tr" stand for?
aww look; totally ruined!

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa »

I kinda prefer "Sonic Boom" than "Toot toot Sonic Warrior". But that's just me. I'm just glad that I could play this game without owning a Sega/Mega CD.

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa »

There it is! A 3D Sparkster, the tridimensional Rocket Knight himself!

Image

Post Reply