EGM: Phantasy Star Universe Details Next Month

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Blue Gale
News Guy

EGM: Phantasy Star Universe Details Next Month

Post by Blue Gale »

We'd like to keep your nail-biting conditon under control, but the anticipation of Sega's PSU might leave your cuticles screamning for help.

Yes, we know we're going to be hitting you with another action-RPG, but it is not our fault that this is one of the best looking games we have ever seen. Phantasy star Online gave us our first real-time online console game and surprisingly hit a home run on its first swing -- you can't chalk that up to beginner's luck.

We don't want to give too much away about online play and profile configuration, but we're going to leave you with one word: Breasts.
--Electronic Gaming Monthly, Issue 190, Page 144

FINALLY!

Naka said that the game is slated for a 2006 release. This means either Playstation 3 or Nintendo Revolution. And, given Sonic Team's love of Nintendo, Revolution is a safe bet.

However, with the release of the Phantasy Star Collection on Playstation 2 forthcoming, and the success of Final Fantasy XI, one cannot rule out Playstation 3.

Either way, this is fantastic news.

And breasts are never a bad thing.

Edit: I'd have posted this in the News forum...but I sorta can't.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I'm banking on Playstation 3. In the comments they've offered so far, Nintendo still seems like they're reluctant toward the whole online thing.

But then again, Sonic Team ignored that by releasing the original PSO trilogy on Gamecube, so maybe they'll once again be the only ones to support Nintendo's online capabilities.

What do I make of EGM's blurb? I think they're hinting that PSU will be the first online rpg to incorporate a titty-fucking mini-game. It beats raising a mag.

Blue Gale
News Guy

Post by Blue Gale »

In related news, EGM states that the PS3 completely rapes the Xbox 2 as far as horsepower is concerned and that, as I am sure you are all aware, a new Sonic game is on the way for Gamecube this year. It will be shown alongside Sonic DS at E3 in May.

Oh yeah, and that "rubbing" demo for Sonic DS that made the rounds at the last E3 is still part of the game, but it's not the main focus. My guess? Special Stages.
Last edited by Blue Gale on Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Have they even released official specs for PS3 or Xbox 2 yet?

Blue Gale
News Guy

Post by Blue Gale »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Have they even released official specs for PS3 or Xbox 2 yet?
Nah. We'll know more about all of the new gaming systems in about three days at the GDC.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Not to mention E3.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Squirrelknight wrote:I'm banking on Playstation 3. In the comments they've offered so far, Nintendo still seems like they're reluctant toward the whole online thing.
They may be coming around. There is that upcoming Homeland game. I think thats online, since it's gonna be released with the broadband adaptor.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

You know, I did post this in the other thread, but I guess everyone hates me.

I'm really excited about PSU. There's a part of me that'll always be addicted to PSO.

Dache

Post by Dache »

I bet this only gets released on Nintendo's console. And about 5 people will bother to play it online. And you'll still only have an on-screen keyboard for communication.

Because Sonic Team are morons.

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Both for the gamecube and working with PSO. Of course that are their only use but still..

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

Hopefully they'll use the magic of voice communication, even if it does make you look like a prat.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Lizard wrote:Image

Both for the gamecube and working with PSO. Of course that are their only use but still..
Actually, my point was that voice communication is far, far superior to text.

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

Post by Knuckles Dawson »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Have they even released official specs for PS3 or Xbox 2 yet?

So far, all that I know to be confirmed is that PS3 will be using Blu-Ray Disc Technology and that Xbox 2/Next/Xenon/360° will be using HD-DVD (due to being released in 2005 and pricing)

In fact, IGN has a very interesting article regarding Blu-ray vs HD-DVD

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Dache wrote:Actually, my point was that voice communication is far, far superior to text.
Ah, well you did say on-screen keyboard so i naturally thought.. bah, point taken.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Lizard wrote:Image
...that is the most retarded keyboard I have EVER SEEN.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

You never saw that controller before?

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Actually, I don't think Xbox 2 has committed to HD-DVD yet.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So far, all that I know to be confirmed is that PS3 will be using Blu-Ray Disc Technology and that Xbox 2/Next/Xenon/360° will be using HD-DVD (due to being released in 2005 and pricing)
Now that's interesting. I guess I haven't really been paying attention, I had no idea we were already so close to a format to usurp DVD's. Lately I've found myself thinking it's time to move on, though I guess I won't really notice a difference until I get an HDTV, which is still some distance down my budget dream. In terms of games, though, my biggest hope at this point is that it will allow for choice of original language options in localized games... anime fans have had that choice even since the days of VHS, but with games you still have to deal with the dub and like it, and it's high time to move past that.

Blue Gale
News Guy

Post by Blue Gale »

Pep's right. In fact, all signs point to the next Xbox using standard DVD, not HD-DVD.

It's all but confirmed that it won't have a harddrive either.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Why can't we all just use Blu-Ray and be happy? :(

Dache

Post by Dache »

Knuckles Dawson wrote: Xbox 2/Next/Xenon/360° will be using HD-DVD (due to being released in 2005 and pricing)
What Pep said. A while ago, I would've thought it'd be a solid guess that Xbox 2 would use HD-DVD as Microsoft had a part in the format's video encoding and gave the developers WMV3 to use, so it would've been in MS's interest that it took off, and Xbox 2 would've been a way to do that. But fairly recently, I think they did something similar with Blu-Ray, or at least did something involving the format. So now it could go either way, but at least now MS have everything to gain.

Blue Gale
News Guy

Post by Blue Gale »

I actually think the new Xbox system is fucked.

-No HALO at launch. Let's face it, Xbox is not so much a game console as it is a Halo TV Adapter.

-There won't be a harddrive or you'll have to buy one seperately.

-It won't have the hardware advantage.

-Everybody's gonna have their own Xbox Live type of service.

So yeah. It's like they took everything that made Xbox cool and threw it away.

The only thing that I am possibly looking foward to is to see Hironobu Sakaguchi's two exclusive RPG's for the system.

For those who aren't aware, Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasty, went crazy and released this really horrible CG movie that ended up costing Square millions. This forced the company to merge with RPG rival, Enix.

Shamed, Sakaguchi left Square and formed Mist Walker Studios, which is now teaming with Microsoft Game Studios to bring two exclusive RPG's to the Xbox 2/360/Next/Xenon.

That's about it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

What are the advantages of having a hard drive, though? As far as me and my Xbox are concerned, all it means is that I don't have to buy a memory card, and even then having files stored directly on the system has its disadvantages. You can do the music playlist thing, I guess, but to me messing with the soundtrack in any game is like blasphemy, even in the scant few games you are invited to do so in.

I rather tend to think that including a hard drive is more expensive than it's worth.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well if you play online the downloadable content usually is way bigger than a memory card. From what I understand though it is not confirmed that there will be no hard drive. Of course I haven't really been following anything game related in the last few months since I sold my soul to World of Warcraft.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I liked the convenience of not juggling memory cards around, to be honest. And sometimes I like to get my Dizzy Gillespie on while I'm playing whatever Tony Hawk sequel that I have.
Also, GG! just changed his Avatar. It gave me a heart attack. I'm waiting for the paramedics while I type here on the computer.