Does anyone remember...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
-wyvern

Does anyone remember...

Post by -wyvern »

...Those Sonic books by "martin adams"? They were probably the first book I actually enjoyed aged eight... The memories... Anyway, does anyone else remember them? They had names like "Sonic the Hedghog in the forth dimension" or "STH and the silicon warriors" and were mostly written after sonic 2, before knuckles appeared. I want to know more about them and how I can lay my hands on some of the others - ebay has drawn a blank and searching the internet led me to this site's page on them but not the books themselves (although it's a fair tradeoff :smile: ). Can you help me find these most excellent pieces of sonic literature?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I certainly don't remember anything about these books (and I'd bet that they wouldn't be so great if not first read at age 8...), but I got curious and found them for you. :) Half.com had nothing, and amazon.com had nothing, but there was a reference too the books by Martin Adams in another book about the "reading habits of English children." English books eh? Sure enough, amazon.co.uk has three of them (used, though), just give a search for Martin Adams Sonic and that should do it.

Really man, you're in England and you didn't check there?! Here I was, concerned that this poor guy just trying to be reunited with the books he loves was going to get charged an arm and a leg for shipping, or that maybe the sellers wouldn't ship overseas, or who knows what exactly. All for nuthin.' Anyway, get your books. They seem scarce. :)

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

"Martin Adams" was a collective pen name used by book's several authors. Their actual names were Marc Gascoigne, James Wallis, and Carl Sargent. Maybe you'll be able to find something else if you look those up.

Incidentally, they also wrote Penguin's Sonic Adventure Gamebooks. I'd never heard of those, but apparently they're like Choose Your Own Adventure books with RPG elements. I used to really like Choose Your Own Adventure books, but I only just discovered that they haven't been published since 1998. What's the problem with kids today?

hello.jpg

Post by hello.jpg »

I have 3 of the 4 "Martin Adams" books in my collection. They kick ass (as close to canon as we're going to get in terms of "serious" writing), and no, I'm not selling them. I suggest second hand bookshops for you, young squire. Harr.

The Almighty Bunghole

Post by The Almighty Bunghole »

I had some cheap chatty Sonic book, and one of those Sonic game books, that's about it.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I had Sonic in the Fourth Dimension and, I gotta say, it was a bloody good read, even now. Back when I too was eight years old it was even better.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

If only they had that guy/those guys/whatever penning some of the scripts for sonic adventure... Oh well. I'm off to do some reading.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Did I dream it or did I reply to this earlier?
Anyway... I had a couple copies of the "Martin Adams" books as a kid, but in my infinite wisdom, I colored some of them. I sold the non-vandalized ones with my comic books a while back.
Speaking of video game books, did anyone else have the Super Mario "Choose Your Own Adventure" books? I read the hell out of those.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I had all four of those books as a child... and then one day my mom had a fit and threw them out, along with all of my comic books. Girls don't like that sort of thing, see. Yeah, I'm not still bitter or anything.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

I would be.

bcdcdude

Post by bcdcdude »

Yeah, i have Sonic the Hedgehog in Robotnik's Labortory (I think that's what it's called). It took me 8 years to read it, and it was a bloody good read.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Popcorn wrote:I had Sonic in the Fourth Dimension and, I gotta say, it was a bloody good read, even now. Back when I too was eight years old it was even better.
bcdcdude wrote:Yeah, i have Sonic the Hedgehog in Robotnik's Labortory (I think that's what it's called). It took me 8 years to read it, and it was a bloody good read.

Well, that was a bloody good read! :lol:

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

Three bloody good readers can't be wrong. Although I would rank the forth dimension as merely "Extremely Spiffing", but only because it doesn't have knuckles in it.

That smiley is wobbling his lip at us. This action disturbs and confuses me.

Grant

Post by Grant »

You could learn a few things from his wobbling lip move. Your girlfriend would really appreciate it, ifyaknowwhatImeanandIthinkyado....

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

Excellent suggestion. Now I need a girlfriend. Who's remotely female around here...

Hey, Del! Come here and let me ask you something!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Shya, right. At least SK is cute in that adorable little kid way.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

I'm sad now.

...-er.

J.C.14
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by J.C.14 »

Amazing Grant wrote:You could learn a few things from his wobbling lip move. Your girlfriend would really appreciate it, ifyaknowwhatImeanandIthinkyado....
Well...I don't

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

J.C.14 wrote:
Amazing Grant wrote:You could learn a few things from his wobbling lip move. Your girlfriend would really appreciate it, ifyaknowwhatImeanandIthinkyado....
Well...I don't
Too young then,

J.C.14
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by J.C.14 »

WhoopA wrote:
J.C.14 wrote:
Well...I don't
Too young then,
I do know, it kinda was a joke, kissing, french kissing, sex, 2nd Base, sperm, jacking I know it all for someone my age, (i'm 11)

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Do you have any older siblings? Because most of the stuff my little brothers know, they learned from me.

Grant

Post by Grant »

J.C.14 wrote:
WhoopA wrote:
J.C.14 wrote:
Well...I don't
Too young then,
I do know, it kinda was a joke, kissing, french kissing, sex, 2nd Base, sperm, jacking I know it all for someone my age, (i'm 11)

I wasn't implying kissing.

Ask your mom. :twisted:

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Amazing Grant wrote: I wasn't implying kissing.

Ask your mom. :twisted:
Well, you COULD say it's a TYPE of kissing. There are lips involved.

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

And depending on some factors a cheek or two... I say kids these days just need to sit down with the Karma Sutra... Everyone needs to know how the yoni and lingam connects to provide bliss to calm the the sprirt of Kamadhenu...