"Hey, you got your electronica in my country/folk/blues

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

"Hey, you got your electronica in my country/folk/blues

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Ah, 'tis the season to bitch about music. Now, this topic title could apply to two people:
Beck Hansen...
...and Connor Oberst, more commonly known as Bright Eyes:
Now, while Beck is known for crossing genres like a Columbian Drug Lord crosses borders, Oberst's foray into electronic music comes as a suprise. He's also an overgrown emo kid. That's probably irrelevant. But what is important is that he draws from the some of the same roots as Beck... and Neil Young... and Bob Dylan...
So my question is, what makes folk/country blues artists fly to Electronica like white kids to rap? They don't mix!

muke

Post by muke »

THEORY #1: Oberst might be crossing over because he is so tired of his genre that he needs to play something that is completely opposite in order to rekindle his love of music again.

THEORY #2: He might have been playing around with an electric sorry-excuse-for-an-instrument (also known as a computer) one day and came up with a beat (by complete accident I might add) that sounded like a good electronica song, so he decided to extend upon this discovery of his by creating a few more titles from this genre, and if those do well, then he'll switch over for good.

Let's hope he doesn't stay there, however. Electronica is already an overpopulated genre with too many subdivisions to count!

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

FACT #1: Country sucks.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

What didja guys think of "I'm Wide Awake"? I thought it lived up the greatness that is Bright Eyes. "Digital Ash" was good too.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Fact 1: Beck is not fucking emo.

Fact 2: Beck's new album, Guero, drops on March 29th. It's been leaked, but I refuse to listen until it's actually released. Early previews describe it as Odelay mixed with Mutations, so it should be great.

Fact 3: Beck has an unconventional approach to music, which is basically mixing and matching styles and genres to produce eclectic songs and albums. He's done Alternative, Folk, Country, Rock, Hip-Hop, Funk, Jazz, R & B, and even Punk in the same album, sometimes in a single song. I, personally, enjoy this approach. However, one genre he hasn't really done anything with is "Electronica." He's used sythesizers in the past, but i don't think that really counts.

Any more questions?
Last edited by plasticwingsband on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Beck is quite the hottie, I'm not ashamed to admit.

His music confuses me, though . . .

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

plasticwingsband wrote:Fact 1: Beck is not fucking emo.
Read for comprehension, dude. I was calling Oberst an overgrown emo kid.
And country blues = Accoustic Blues. It's basically regular blues on the accoustic guitar, prominantly featuring slide. A cookie to anyone who knows what hit by Beck features a looping slide guitar track.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Sorry 'bout that.

And it's "Loser".

Primus rocks, btw.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Why else would 3 men be singing in front of a duck as my avatar?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Why else would 3 men be singing in front of a duck as my avatar?
Because you think ducks are hot?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

With anyone else that could just be an absurd joke, but not with Baba...

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Hahah, it's funny, because...
Never mind. Let's just skip that part and go straight to the 'You can fuck off' part. :eek:

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

"Well, Wynona's got herself a big brown beaver and she shows it off to all her friends..."