SH:UG

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dunjohn

SH:UG

Post by Dunjohn »

To date I know of three english-language Sonic cartoons: Sonic the Hedgehog (the Archie one), The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (the cheap but funny one) and Sonic X. However, while I was gawking around my local HMV I saw a couple of cheap DVDs of another series called Sonic Underground.

As far as I can tell, Sonic is the only recognisable character, and he seems to be in a rock band composed of other mutant hedgehogs like him, with names like Manic and Sonia. I presume that last one wasn't a typo.

Whattheheckisthis??? Is it worth forking out a few bucks to settle my curiosity, or is it utter rubbish? Looks okay-ish.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

It's shit.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Shit as in, un-Sonic, or shit as in badly animated, crap plots, etc? Cuz I don't mind the first one, they are pretty cheap...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sonic Underground is really, really bad. Both as a Sonic thing and as a stand alone cartoon.

Jaleel White voices all three main characters, including the girl. And sometimes, the girl sings.

No. Just no.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't even think the series got to finish airing before it was pulled.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

I dunno, I might just get one....

A friend of mine mail-ordered the Sonic Movie a few years back, before it came out in Europe. I still sorta feel I owe him...

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Dunjohn wrote:Shit as in, un-Sonic, or shit as in badly animated, crap plots, etc?
YES.
Dunjohn wrote:I dunno, I might just get one....
NO.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Esrever wrote:Jaleel White voices all three main characters, including the girl. And sometimes, the girl sings.

No. Just no.
*cries as the memories of Sonia's English dub voice comes back to haunt her*

I only saw 10 minutes of Sonic Underground and as soon as Sonia opened her trap and sang, I have seen enough. WORST. FEMALE. VOICE. IN. A. CARTOON. EVER!

Frank Oz should be the only man allowed to voice female characters.

Admittably, I didn't mind Manic--his design and the concept of a theiving hedgehog. Though it would have been much better if he wasn't related to Sonic. Sonic having siblings is such a lame concept.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I know I've brought this up before, but Manic bore a disturbing resemblance to a fan-character I made back in the mid ninties. I guess either they were spying on me, or their character designer was just as big a hack as I was when I was 14.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

A green hedgehog fancharacter that may or may not be related to Sonic isn't exactly an original idea. If they did steal it, it was from a whole bunch of people. :P

And, heh, anyone else remember "Ashura"?

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Heck, the third season of SatAM would have been better than SU. Ironically, just like SatAM when it first came out, SoA loved it. In fact, I think they prefer it over SatAM. For one thing, for some reason they're holding DiC back from showing SatAM in syndication in the US(The only place its currently airing is on two stations in the UK, though there's a PBS station in Pennsylvania that wants to air it and is trying to snatch up the rights), yet they have no problem with SU still being aired.

To be fair though, at least Jaleel didn't provide Sonia's singing voice...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Delphine wrote:A green hedgehog fancharacter that may or may not be related to Sonic isn't exactly an original idea. If they did steal it, it was from a whole bunch of people. :P

And, heh, anyone else remember "Ashura"?
Ah, but it's not JUST that they are both green hedgehogs... Manic has nearly identical headfur, vest and pair of shoes, as well! SHOCK!

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Esrever wrote:Ah, but it's not JUST that they are both green hedgehogs... Manic has nearly identical headfur, vest and pair of shoes, as well! SHOCK!
The <i>exact</i> same thing happened to a friend of mine with Skies of Arcadia.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Should we make a poll about wich were the worst american Sonic cartoon ever?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Eserver, that's eerily creepy. All that's missing are the spike armbands.

J.E.Smith wrote:Heck, the third season of SatAM would have been better than SU. Ironically, just like SatAM when it first came out, SoA loved it. In fact, I think they prefer it over SatAM. For one thing, for some reason they're holding DiC back from showing SatAM in syndication in the US(The only place its currently airing is on two stations in the UK, though there's a PBS station in Pennsylvania that wants to air it and is trying to snatch up the rights), yet they have no problem with SU still being aired.
I believe it is not Sega of America who has a problem with showing SatAM in the U.S.(I have a feeling they could careless), but it is Disney who hold the U.S. rights to the series. They are the ones you want to complain about.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

It was French. That's all I should have to say, really.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Disney made Sonic uncool. Period.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

As much as I despise Disney, they didn't make Sonic uncool, ABC or whoever made SatAM did.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Disney owns ABC, y'know.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Oh yeah, you're right. Screw Disney!

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Spazz wrote:As much as I despise Disney, they didn't make Sonic uncool, ABC or whoever made SatAM did.
Well, DiC did create all of the Western Sonic cartoons--which includes Sonic Underground.

So screw them too.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Actually, I kinda like watching AoStH as a kid. It was a little dumb, but not as utterly stupid as SatAM or Underground.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I manage to actually catch one episode of SU packed in with my Super Mario Cartoon DVD. All I can say is the fact that the episode centered around giant feet made it even worse then the singing.
~Neo

Grant

Post by Grant »

Spazz wrote:Actually, I kinda like watching AoStH as a kid. It was a little dumb, but not as utterly stupid as SatAM or Underground.
I always preferred AoStH as a kid, too. SatAM was just too angsty, which didn't seem to fit the mood of how I thought a Sonic cartoon should be.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

SatAM? Whassat?

I consulted my brother. He seems to have heard of this Sonic Underground. He says it would not redress the Sonic Movie bad karma balance. He says it would only make it worse.

Well, okay, perhaps it's best left on the shelf....