You say you want a Revolution

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Esrever
Drano Master

You say you want a Revolution

Post by Esrever »

Man, get used to hearing that pun.

So everyone is wondering what Nintendo is cooking to gimmick up their next console, the revolution. Motion sensors? Touch panels? Windmills?

Well, adding fuel to the speculation, we have this recently filed patent.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/583/583217p1.html

Your guess is as good as mine about whatever is going on in that chart. I'm thinking that maybe, in the world of Nintendo, the Revolution plays you.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Look at the date, their just now patenting the Gamecube?

Anyway, I'm scared. Between this & recent info on Sonic almost being in SSBM I can't help but think that the next E3 is going to be the begining of the end.

End of what exactly I'm not even sure but something we take for granted will be gone.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/575/575714p1.html

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000380028623/

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

If they came out with a new console now, I'd have to say that Gamecube is to N64 as Saturn is to Genesis but with better sales. Its games have been ok with a few gems, but not enough to make it live up to the repertoire of past consoles. Oh well. At least it'll have backwards compatibility.

Gameboy Evolution? HOW MANY GAMEBOYS DO WE NEED?!?!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's all very confusing. As best as I can decipher from that patent application, what they are talking about is some sort of new way to control the game camera directly and easily, eliminating the need for the game to have to constantly readjust the camera itself on the fly.

If they really are putting gyros and motion sensors into the controller, that might have something to do with it. We know Nintendo has been toying around with cameras as well. Both could theoretically give the player the ability to adjust the game camera focal point on the fly, without taking their hands off the controller.

Of course, the language in the patent is so vague that they could just be overhyping a third joystick or something.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Team Mecha wrote:Look at the date, their just now patenting the Gamecube?
Could be they're patenting GameCube-Microwave compatability. That'd make for interesting games.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Board game technology.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sounds like they really are shooting for virtual reality. 'Bout time. Although I'm wary of having to dress up in something special to play a videogame.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I used to voluntarily don a souvenir sombrero everytime I played Samba de Amigo.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Every time I sit down to play some Outrun 2 I get into character by donning a pair of bright orange pants.

Well, I would if I had them.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

And I take shrooms before playing Super Mario!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

When I play the Ulala game in Sega SuperStars, I play it naked.

Hey Silv, how is Outrun 2? I've heard a couple of people say it sucked, but I kind of tend to think they were expecting something more along the lines of Gran Turismo or a typical racing game. I thought it was looking pretty good...

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

OutRun 2 kicks ass.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Outrun 2 is really great. Obviously it's modelled straight of the old Outrun, so length is not exactly in its favor. It's all about the handling of the car though, you basically drift through every turn you can, and slip impossibly between buses and semis while you do it. The path you drive branches out as you play, so there's quite a bit of areas to check out, but ultimately it's just about driving and feeling good (and collecting hearts from the girl with the cutoff pants!), it's not a "racing" game at all.

Someone at Insert Credit made this helpful chart.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think that's why most people have trouble getting into it, they don't understand that OutRun is not a racing game.

I was going to get the Japanese version since there's supposedly some extra stuff, but that would actually require me to import a Japanese Xbox, and it seems you can't get those right now except for the $600 Kasumi blue models.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

What kind of extra stuff?

I hear there's a new arcade version that just came out with extra courses and cars and refined gameplay and all that, but I assume it won't be available at home for a while (if at all).

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Yeah, there was the new "Special Tours" arcade game, but I haven't heard anything about a planned console release.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Hell if I remember. I know it was released here first, sometime in November, but it wasn't released in Japan until earlier this month, supposedly with additions.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

From what I can gather, the extra levels borrowed from Scudrace and GT and whatnot have been cleaned up a bit to run nicer, visually closer to the originals and tweaked to be friendlier to Outrun's play controls. The girl who does the Outrun Challenge mode has been changed to look more goth and looks kinda goofy, and apparently Clarissa has increased cleavage (there are pictures on the official site. I'm gonna play the US Outrun and do a comparison right now.

The first run of the game includes a soundtrack CD and a calendar.

Edit: Yup, in the US version she wears a little tube top under her shirt, in the Japanese version it's not there, as you can see from the pictures. I guess which version of the game to get is really obvious now.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, now the US version isn't even an option. Hey, can you loan me six hundred bucks?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

You want to spend $600 to see digital cleavage? For $600 you can see several rounds of real naked boobs and if you are lucky, you can get laid on the same night.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I don't think they could do anything to make the Challenge girl look worse, save replacing her with, I dunno, Teresa Kerry.

OutRun is about, as Yu Suzuki or whoever at Sega puts it, the "beautiful journey". Not cheesy customization or hyper realism or ridiculous crashes. Which nobody seems to get.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well that's cause the cover makes it look like a racing game, and nowadays when people thing of racing games they think of GT or Need for Speed. Outrun is an old ass game that doesn't really stand the test of time in the eyes of gamers today. Then again most of the gamers today didn't really play games back in Outruns time. And I swear I had an Outrun 2 for my Genesis. Or Outrunners or something.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Outrunners or Outrunner 2019. Take your pick.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I remember the cover had a guy and girl basically flying out of the red corvette and the only thing keeping them in is the guy has his hand on the wheel and the girl had her hand on the sideview mirror or something. I'm pretty sure it was Outrunners.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I don't think it was a Corvette. I could be wrong, but Yu Suzuki loves his Ferraris.