Fast food

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Fast food

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I'm trying to remember all the various Sonic fast food promotions. I remember the first one was that McDonald's promotion with Sonic 3, but wasn't there some kind of a Burger King promotion a couple years after that? Does anyone remember that?

Then there was that Jack in the Box Sega PC thing, some Denny's promotion not long after, and then the McDonald's LCD games last year. That's everything, right?

I need more information on that Burger King promotion, which I'm pretty sure existed...

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

I got bored so... I found something... If it doesn't help, meh... Here...

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I remember no Burger King Promo. I know that a few years later, Mcdonald's had some sort of 25th Annivesary thing though, and one of the toy floats (as in, parade floats) you could get in a Happymeal was Sonic and Tails with a TV.

Also, you're forgetting the Carl's Jr. Sonic-branded Kids Meal. They had it for awhile, as my understanding, but I see the <a href="http://www.carlscoolkids.com/promotions.asp">site</a> mentions nothing of it. Searching google reveals checklists of Carl's Jr. Toy Promos going back to only 1998 (maybe you'll have better luck) - but I also thought it was more recent than that.

Then again, I am not sure it was a toy lineup - more they actually named their kids meal something Sonic-related and branded his face on it and suchlike.

Also, while I was poking around Google I looked up the Sonic BK promo, doesn't exist, at least according to this list of BK Toys they have for sale; which date way the hell back, so it's unlikely it was missed (on a side note, looking through that list gives me all sorts of nostalgia. I had most of those toys either from going to BK with my parents or from my brother, who was a toy collector). The only other explanation is this guy isn't selling toys for the Sonic deal. (which isn't likely, looks like he has everything from 1993 or so on up)

Edit: What the hell. I _never_ remember my BK having those toys. (If I did, I would've gotten some - after all, I have the whole McDonalds Sonic 3 set in varying conditions). Even more awkward is the fact they were made in 1998, you would've thought they'd hold off until 1999 for the Dreamcast...
Last edited by BlazeHedgehog on Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

there were three times sonic was happy meal-ified. the first which you mentioned, was followed up by a single toy that was a car to the altogether train you could make if all cars were collected. wait, that sounds confusing. :oops: it was for a mcdonalds anniversary or some shite like that, and had different train parts for different meal licenses they had done before. it was a tv on wheels (with a genesis sitting on top), with a moving centre that displayed the standard of the time dastardly stupid robotnik image, one of sonic in a party hat, and one of tails in a party hat. i'll try to find a photo of it somewhere.

wait, in the time it took for me to type this, the above was posted. hgeagnceripr gafdskfdf :oops:

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:I remember no Burger King Promo. I know that a few years later, Mcdonald's had some sort of 25th Annivesary thing though, and one of the toy floats (as in, parade floats) you could get in a Happymeal was Sonic and Tails with a TV.
I actually have that thing lying around somewhere... I'll take a picture if I can find it.

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

on the subject of the bk toys, im pretty sure they werent offered in north america. possibly the uk? not sure. heres the link to the anniversary thing

http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasoni ... e/2401.jpg

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

Hey I remember them, I had the Knuckles and the Robotnik half magnet thing, I lost the Sonic part somewhere... And my friend had the Tails one... If yours didn't have it I say blame the owner, the choose which toys to order... Like the McDonalds in my town only had Hotwheels and Power Rangers for about two years... But they could have been from someplace else, my memory really only goes back about 3 years top...

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I have the McDonald's train item, and Sonic, Tails and Eggman from the first McD's promotion. In my infinite wisdom, I re-painted them because their paint had chipped off, though... damn.
I have a small stuffed Knuckles from another promotion, but I don't remember what it was.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

I've got the Sonic and Knuckles stuffed dolls from the Denny's Sonic Underground promotion.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I have them, too. Sonic and Knuckles. It's kind of weird, I think I got them both on New Years Eve two seperate years. One was from my brother, the other from my (now ex-) girlfriend.

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

okay, well going through my sonic merch collection, i found this toy

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/stock/asset ... _Racer.jpg

the site it comes from says its from burger king, and the seller is located in britain apparently. im from canada, so i suppose it was offered here at some point in time too (cant remember really). the bottom of that toy says TM & c 1993 SEGA China HK 26
i've looked on a few other sites though that classify it as a mcdonalds toy ¿

[/url]http://www.thorndon.co.nz/thorndon/sonic.jpg[url] <--- the site this is from says these are from 1995.

i also found the robotnik and knuckles toys in my collection from that above picture. the bottom of the knuckles one says
TM & c 1993 SEGA China SV12

the robotnik one says
TM & c 1993 SEGA China KH 57

also, this site

[/url]http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasoni ... 03.htm[url]
has a picture of the same toys, but with a japanese eggman in the cockpit instead of the american/uk? robotnik one.

from what i DO remember of my childhood collecting of these fast food toys, wherever i found the robotnik, sonic and knuckles toys, they had run out of the tails spinner thing in the link farther above, so instead offered a yellow tails ball of some sort as a consolation. i can't find any pictures of it though on the internet, and i never bought it because it looked so stupid in comparison to the others. like, it was just a plastic or rubber ball with a picture of tails on it.

so, in conclusion, i have no clue whether this set of 4 toys (sonic shooter racer thing, knuckles cloud spinning thing, robotnik pull back eggmobile, and tails spinning doodad) come from mcdonalds or burger king. probably mcdonalds though, because i went there more as a kid. there was a seperate tails ball thing (maybe for the kids that were 3 and under due to the edible parts of the spinner), and a different japanese version of the robotnik toy.

and, p.s., i never got the dennys plushees, because the ONE dennys they have in ontario (at least the only one i know of) was out of stock. BUT i did get the little sonic underground menu/kids activity guide (puzzles, match up games etc. inside). i would scan it, but lack of scanner prevents me from doing so. anybody else got it?

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

jesus christ, this is alot of typing to do at 2 in the morning. anyways, this site kicks way too much ass. honestly. heres everything you need minus that yellow ball i was speaking of (it does exist)

http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasoni ... c=fastfood

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Ah, so the BK thing was in Europe only. That explains why I don't remember it. I'd never heard of the Carl's Jr one either, but there isn't a Carl's Jr within two states of here.

Does anyone remember about when the BK promotion ran? Sometime in 1998? And the Carl's Jr promotion, for that matter?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The Canadian McDonalds often has different toysets than the American ones. We never got the Sonic 3 toys when you did, but they were offered in Canada a year later as "Sonic and Knuckles" toys. Sonic, Knuckles and Robotnik were identical to the US release, but the Tails copter thing was replaced with -- I kid you not -- a yellow rubber ball with Tails drawn on it.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Don't they call Carl's Jr. Hardees in the midwest?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure we have both Carl's Jr. and Hardees here in Colorado. Although both are pretty tough to find, but they DO exist. (You just have to go deep within the heart of Denver to find'em)

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

Not Really, I can count two in Colorado Springs - one on Academy and one on Nevada & Platte - heart of Downtown, the General Palmer statue.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I thought Hardee's went out of business entirely?

Colorado was actually the only place I've ever seen a Carl's Jr. Damn, that's a beautiful state, I wouldn't mind living there.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I saw a few in Las Vegas too (the service was awful..); and there used to be a Hardee's around where I live as well, only It didn't have the same logo. It didn't last long though.
And yep, I've seen 'em in Colorado Springs as well.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Bo wrote:Don't they call Carl's Jr. Hardees in the midwest?
Nope. Carl's Jr is known as Rally's in the midwest.

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

i think canada has a restaurant called hardy's which would be our carl's junior.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

You mean Harvey's?

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

nope, hardy's. to go along with casey's, kelsey's, blimpy's, wimpy's and popeye's. by the way, harvey's is a horrible franchise and should just stop.... being.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Blimpie's is the worst. The only fast food chain worse than Blimpie's is Taco Bell.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Ok, according to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardees">this</a> , Hardee's is the same as Carl's Jr. I knew they were running the same commercials a while back. We only have Hardee's in Missouri, and it's terrible, but I haven't eaten fast food in recent memory, so I don't mind too much.
Never heard of Harvey's though.