So guys, if you are planning on buying a PSP at launch...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Knuckles Dawson wrote:
Light Speed wrote:....it's better than redoing the whole thing and ending up fucking it up.
Kinda like what Ubisoft did with Warrior Within?
Yes.

Only somehow it sold well.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

I'l get around to Sands of Time eventually... San Andreas is fun, though. Plus I can now definitively say that Halo 2 IS better than it (though it's close, and a bit like saying apples are better than oranges).

Dunno how big a step up from GTA:VC, though I'll probably get that too 'cuz it's set in the eighties and the eighties are better than anything.

And this may be like sacrelige, but I always though Sonic 3 was a screw-up. The biggest evolution there was that they invented the need for a game patch on a console. THEN it rocked.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It wasn't a patch, it was the second half of the game. Fool.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

That's what I said. Patch.

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

A patch fixes a problem with the game mechanics, if anything S&K was an expansion... But that must have evaded you since you lack proper senses...

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Okay, so maybe "patch" is a little harsh, but you gotta admit, that stopgap ending was a little disheartening. As were all those unaccessable pathways. And the game's length. And the Hydro City zone in general.

And they made us pay for it in two installments of 100% each...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The Hydrocity Zone is awesome. Probably my favorite of all the Sonic water stages.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Hydrocity is my favorite stage in Sonic 3.

It seems to me like it's got more in common with Chemical Plant (or even Star Light Zone) in its structure than what tends to pass as the "typical" Sonic water stage, though Aquatic Ruin was already heading away from that (Labyrinth-style) direction in Sonic 2 anyway.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I hate all the water stages in Sonic. Well not hate, but I never liked them. It totally slowed down the game.

Oh and about Warrior Within they didn't totally redo that much. The puzzle and wallrunning things play exactly the same. They tried to redo the combat, but it ended up coming out very similar with knew moves. I still love the gameplay in WW, even though I haven't played the game much since I ran into a huge bug and haven't gotten around to starting over. The only thing they really changed was they made it dark and added Godsmack, oh and the enemies are kind of cheap now. The reason it sold so well is because they did everything that the public wanted and got perfect scores that were advertised before the game was released. The problem is the public wants shit. If you ignore the story and stuff and just play for the gameplay its still just as good as SoT. It just doesn't have the same charm.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I kinda fear PoP: WW due to the fact that after playing the demo, it didn't feel as good as the first game. Maybe it's because I'm just a cheap ass and don't like mulitple button combos to perform attacks or special leaps or whatever, or maybe because I'm kind of upset that the once clever (and funny) prince turns into Macho-induced badass. I'll still give it a shot...someday...
~Neo

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The atmosphere and visual style of the game are as much a part of the whole as any technical aspect. It is perfectly reasonable to say that Warrior Within sucks balls due to the new direction, regardless of how close to the original it is in terms of gameplay.

None of the Sonic water stages are actually that similar. About the closest association you could make would be between Labyrinth and Tidal Tempest, and even then I think Tidal Tempest still manages to have its own unique personality. Excluding the Game Gear ones, I think Aquatic Ruin is probably my least favorite of the Sonic water stages because there isn't much balance between dry land and water. Since the water level is constant throughout the entire stage and divides the whole map in two lengthwise, if you get stuck on the bottom half it's just really slow and frustrating trying to get back to dry land so you can, y'know, run again.

As far as platformers in general go, Mega Man usually has alot of problems with his underwater stages. The most painful underwater experience I've ever had, I believe, would've been the water dungeon in Mega Man Legends 2. Granted, action RPG water dungeons usually are wicked, but the bullshit you had to do in there I never want to repeat.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Yeah, Aquatic Ruin totally sucked if you fell.

I typically dislike water levels in pretty much anything (one of the few exceptions being Ecco). Everything moves so ridiculously slow.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It's kind of hard to have a game like Ecco without water levels.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Hydrocity was above the other water levels to me mainly because of its lack of bottomless pits.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Delphine wrote:It's kind of hard to have a game like Ecco without water levels.
I wouldn't mind playing Ecco the Dolphin: The Seaworld Exhibit.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's kind of hard to have a game like Ecco without water levels.
"Ecco the Dried Dolphin Chunks".

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

He can morph into things. Duh.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Green Gibbon! wrote:None of the Sonic water stages are actually that similar. About the closest association you could make would be between Labyrinth and Tidal Tempest, and even then I think Tidal Tempest still manages to have its own unique personality. Excluding the Game Gear ones, I think Aquatic Ruin is probably my least favorite of the Sonic water stages because there isn't much balance between dry land and water. Since the water level is constant throughout the entire stage and divides the whole map in two lengthwise, if you get stuck on the bottom half it's just really slow and frustrating trying to get back to dry land so you can, y'know, run again.
Wow. I may hate the Hydro City Zone, but I LOVE Aquatic Ruins.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Delphine wrote:It's kind of hard to have a game like Ecco without water levels.
It's funny, but now that I think about it... the coolest Echo levels were always the flying water tunnel stages, where you spent more time out of the water than any other stage.