Post your artwork (56k warning)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
CM August

Post by CM August »

Made this just now.
Last edited by CM August on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TailsPrwr

Post by TailsPrwr »

Kishi wrote:Yes, kindly knock off the Megatokyo shit.
This has nothing to do with Megatokyo, so stop being a wise ass.

Is the style similar? No.

What the hell do you have against it?
j-man wrote:Are you Japanese? If not, stop kidding yourself.
What the hell does my style have to do with me being Japanese? WOW, I do vertical comics! Whoopdy-fuckin' do! It doesn't mean I'm trying to be Japanese.

Thought you guys had open minds. Oh well.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think they are talking about the vertical panel orientation. I think they are talking about the character design style -- particularly the facial expression conventions you've used -- and the character names. It's not as specifically derrivative as a comic like Megatokyo, which looks exactly like the work of one particular Japanese artist named Ken Akamatsu. But it's definitely playing in the same convention sandbox as a lot of other Japanese comics.

I'm not sure if we can really pick on folks anymore for doing this, though. Back in the day, most or all of the white kids trying to draw "manga-style" were usually embarassingly hardcore japanophiles. You had to be! Anime was still a cult thing, and only the hardcore would be familiar enough with the style to even bother trying to ape it. But these days, this Japanese stuff is everywhere. These kids are growing up watching primarily Japanese cartoons and reading Japanese comics. It's only natural that the work of a whole new generation of cartoonists is going to look like Manga by default, because that's the style they're being exposed to the most.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

It's only natural that the work of a whole new generation of cartoonists is going to look like Manga by default, because that's the style they're being exposed to the most.

Which is really hard on me (and I'm sure others as well) whenever I draw something that isn't suppose to be anime/manga at all, yet some random dude says it lools very anime/manga, a style of art I don't wanna overdo (since I've been cutting back on my anime watchin' and focusing more on American cartoons like the good ol' days).
~Neo

Saturnman

Post by Saturnman »

Tough crowd.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

"Don't be Japanese" says the Sonic fan.

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

I think it's the whole sweatdrop/veiny forehead and happy '^_^' eyes that really get my goat.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Now I know why MISO SOUP looks familiar. It was the featured Awful Link of the Day on Something Awful a short while back.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Esrever wrote:I'm not sure if we can really pick on folks anymore for doing this, though. Back in the day, most or all of the white kids trying to draw "manga-style" were usually embarassingly hardcore japanophiles. You had to be! Anime was still a cult thing, and only the hardcore would be familiar enough with the style to even bother trying to ape it. But these days, this Japanese stuff is everywhere. These kids are growing up watching primarily Japanese cartoons and reading Japanese comics. It's only natural that the work of a whole new generation of cartoonists is going to look like Manga by default, because that's the style they're being exposed to the most.
I agree. But I will still harp on his art, not because it's Japanese, but because it's bland and unoriginal.

And CM August, I love it.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Sure, the art was pretty bland, but what I disliked about it the most was the "me too" japanese styled humor it presented.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Protodude wrote:Sure, the art was pretty bland, but what I disliked about it the most was the "me too" japanese styled humor it presented.
I wasn't even going to talk about the comic itself, but since we're on the subject, might as well. It plays off of clichés, and the characters are fairly two-dimensional. I'd go as far as to call them static, but that would require a general idea of their personalities, which is not really defined beyond "pathetic, male" and "violent, sociopathic female", as well as "intelligent and more or less not having a defined gender". There are almost no redeeming qualities.
No effort whatsoever. D-

CM August

Post by CM August »

Baba O'Reily wrote:And CM August, I love it.
Thanks, Baba. I should probably work on my timing more, so it's not posted at the arse end of an argument.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Yeah CM, it's great. Reminds me of K. Rool from Donky Kong Country 2.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Blunderbuss wins.

CM August

Post by CM August »

He may be from the SatAM cartoon, but Cluck was awesome.
Last edited by CM August on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

plasticwingsband wrote:Now I know why MISO SOUP looks familiar. It was the featured Awful Link of the Day on Something Awful a short while back.
Hey, I remember that. It must have been a while ago, then, since I haven't checked SA in a long time.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Yeah, I can't find it in the front page archives. Anyone got a link?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

What I like the most about CM's work is the shading. Very tasteful and radawesome.

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

CM, darken it down. It's light enough to be a watermark.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Tell me about it. I have a fear of screwing up my own work; I'm shit-scared of inking things since even my own handwriting comes out a wobbly mess. Also, the best pen I own is a biro.

It's not a decent excuse, but yeah. I'll print out a copy and go from there, methinks.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

If you have image editor software just increase the contrast, that should make it clearer.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Thanks, Omni. Gwilym, your wish has been fulfilled.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Enjoy this.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

<3

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Jesus Baba, she's SIX!